Unable to see thread...

Serutan

Eatibus Anythingibus
...If it was started by someone on my ignore list. I can work around by bookmarking said threads when logged off and using the
bookmark when I'm logged in but it is a bit annoying as I just want to ignore posts but not necessarily entire threads.

Is there any chance the ignore list could be modified to work on posts only, or is this something I'm just going to have to live with?

Agreed. It's ridiculous that the entire thread should be invisible just because it was started by "Ignored Member."

Why is this ridiculous? It's likely that the member will be highly active in a thread they've created. If you dislike someone enough to want their posts completely hidden, I don't understand the logic behind wanting to see the threads they create. If you want to selectively decide which of their posts are worth reading or not, take them off your ignore list and simply ignore the posts you don't want to deal with.

Just because Person A is ignoring Person B, that doesn't mean Person A isn't interested in what Persons C through Z have to say on the topic. When the entire thread is invisible, that makes interacting with Persons C through Z impossible.

Except you're not just going to see what Persons C through Z are saying. You're going to see what they are saying to Person A, the person you specifically dislike so much you want to hide everything they do.

Except you're not just going to see what Persons C through Z are saying. You're going to see what they are saying to Person A, the person you specifically dislike so much you want to hide everything they do.
Why should I assume they're all replying to Person A? Most people who reply in a thread are talking to each other, at some point, not necessarily the OP.

Here's a hypothetical. Let's say I'm ignoring someone and that person happens to start one of the commonly-used serial threads in OT (that's not the case right now; I'm speaking hypothetically). Most replies in the serial threads are not made to the OP. They're mini-conversations among small groups of people and the conversation shifts every half-dozen posts or so. It would be a shame to have to miss that because of who started the thread.

I'm looking into this matter, but the initial impression is that the feature is working as designed and won't be changed by xenForo. The admins, as far as I can see, can't modify the behavior of threads started by those on your ignore list.

I'm looking into this matter, but the initial impression is that the feature is working as designed and won't be changed by xenForo. The admins, as far as I can see, can't modify the behavior of threads started by those on your ignore list.
Even if it could just list "Ignored Member" as the OP, as it does in subsequent posts if an ignored person is the last person to have replied to a thread (assuming the OP is not an ignored member), that would be a huge help.

Thank you, Petek. I think this question has come up at TrekBBS as well, but I don't know if anyone there is looking into it. Maybe someone has figured out a workaround.

I was afraid the answer would be something like that. Thanks for looking in to it.

There is a way of seeing them... on the bottom right of the page by the "New Thread" button is a "Show Ignored Content" option. Not a perfect solution, but a solution at least. As Petek says, the implementation is as per design.

Edit: I've also added the "Show Ignored Content" link to the top of the forum page as well, to make it a bit more accessible.

Attachments

• ignore.PNG
    ignore.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I don't see that on the main subforum indexes. It only appears for me in the thread itself.

So if I'm ignoring Person A and Person A hasn't made any new threads in OT, I won't see the link... but as soon as Person A does make a new thread, I will see the link?

Ah. My ignore list at TrekBBS is quite lengthy, so it was easy to test this out in their equivalent of OT. It works.

The trick now is remembering to check.

Still, it would be great if someone might have found an easier way to make this easier.

EDIT: I've replied to one of those threads, and that means it should turn up on my list of watched threads and I should get email notifications of replies. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Update: I did get an email notification of a reply, so if I really want to go back to that thread, I can find it again.

Thank you, ainwood.

Top Bottom