Unable to Start the Mod

Basihelm

Chieftain
Hello All

I'm very new to the world of modding, and decided I'd try this fantastic-looking one to start. The issue is that whenever I click load the mod in Civ4, it exits to desktop and never comes back up again. I've tried downloading v28 and v27, neither of which worked. As a test, I also tried the mods that came with the game (Rhye's) and it worked fine, exiting to desktop and restarting immediately.

Reading other people's posts, I've found that most people have the file path C:\ProgramFiles\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword, but mine says C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\2K Games\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword. I'll admit I don't know enough about modding to know if this would actually affect anything, but I figured I'd put it out there.

My system specs are as follows

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/4/2013, 16:57:52
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600 (7600.win7_gdr.130104-1435)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite A665
BIOS: Phoenix SecureCore Version 2.20
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3890MB RAM
Page File: 4217MB used, 3561MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

If anyone has any idea why this might be happening, I'd really appreciate your help. I was so looking forward to trying this mod.

Thanks

First loading of the mod can take up to 15mins and it may take some time before it shows that it is actually loading (showing the splash screen).

When I load Civ4 my computer automatically changes its colour settings to Windows 7 Basic. While I wait for the splash screen to reappear, it eventually reverts back to my typical colour settings. To me this indicates that the game crashed or stopped loading or something equivalent. :/

Does that sound right? Is there any other information you need?

Sometimes my screen goes black* when the "splashscreen" finally loads, but that is normal. Other mods do the same thing. But as others said, it can take a LOOOOOONG time to preload. If you check taskmanager while it is preloading, you will see that Civ4 is running (the processes tab, not the applications tab).

*sometime with the icons and taskbar showing, sometimes entirely black screen except for the load window

The mod is big very big, It can take from 5 to 10 mins to load, especially the first time as it builds some files so that subsequent loads take less time. If you have other things running it will take longer.

Reading other people's posts, I've found that most people have the file path C:\ProgramFiles\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword, but mine says C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\2K Games\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword. I'll admit I don't know enough about modding to know if this would actually affect anything, but I figured I'd put it out there.

Long path names can cause problems but they produce errors that name files that can't be found. So that is probably not the problem here.

Long path names can cause problems but they produce errors that name files that can't be found. So that is probably not the problem here.

It isn't, because I used to have it in G:\civ4\BTS, and it worked fine. I changed it to C:\PF(x86)\FG\Civ4\BTs later just as a wild hare chance that it would fix the black tile problems (and I'm too lazy to reinstall back to my G drive).

As a side note, the only ones that should install to PF and not PF(x86) are those with a 32bit OS. "Just plain" Program Files is meant for 64 bit programs, though I doubt it makes a real difference performance-wise.

Yep... 3.19 and I was thinking that I had that problem when I didn't have it updated to 3.19. The op system looks fully capable so I figured that'd be it. And since you're running with Civilization complete you probably didn't think it'd be necessary... but it is.

Didn't you have to edit some registry keys to be able to play C2C with Civ Complete? I think I've read something about this...

//Edit
Yeah, right there on the main thread. Although this seems to only cause interface issues and shouldn't prevent the game from starting.

Didn't you have to edit some registry keys to be able to play C2C with Civ Complete? I think I've read something about this...

//Edit
Yeah, right there on the main thread. Although this seems to only cause interface issues and shouldn't prevent the game from starting.

Well, I have Civ 4 Complete and have experienced no registry errors whatsoever. :confused:

That specific bug seems to be connected to the BUG mod, which is integrated into C2C, so maybe that warning is just a leftover from some older version.
If it works without that now, it should probably removed from the thread, in case anyone actually reads the warning and possibly messes up his registry without reason. ;)

// Edit
You wouldn't notice any registry errors, but the interface would start to behave strangely. You just fix that by editing the registry. Or would have.

That specific bug seems to be connected to the BUG mod, which is integrated into C2C, so maybe that warning is just a leftover from some older version.
I think the ways BUG determines the proper directories has changed since then.

I think the ways BUG determines the proper directories has changed since then.

I think you are correct. I also think there are problems with mods that have it built in if you also have it installed "standalone". No one should have it alone, as it really doesn't help (and that goes for Buffy/BAT/BULL as well).

I think you are correct. I also think there are problems with mods that have it built in if you also have it installed "standalone". No one should have it alone, as it really doesn't help (and that goes for Buffy/BAT/BULL as well).

What? I remember back in the day I couldn't stand a game without the unaltered gameplay mod (BUG) once I've tried it.
And as it installs in a separate folder, there's no way it interferes with any other mod. Unless you manually fiddle with it.

What? I remember back in the day I couldn't stand a game without the unaltered gameplay mod (BUG) once I've tried it.
And as it installs in a separate folder, there's no way it interferes with any other mod. Unless you manually fiddle with it.

From what I heard (and this was a while ago, so it may have changed in newer versions), it installed differently in the Documents folder* as well as its own folder, meaning it screwed with all mods, including those that had it built in. It really doesn't help that much in mods that don't have it built-in, and most do anyway.

*after running it once it would automatically insinuate itself in that folder

Ah, no. When you run the installer it asks you which type of install you want to do.

One puts it in the Custom Assets where it will always be active even when playing mods, unless the mod turns off Custom Assets in its .ini file. Many mods that are not compatible do not do this, like, for example, Caveman 2 Cosmos (its .ini does not have the NoCustomAssets value set to 1, but it almost certainly should as it is highly unlikely that anything in there would be compatible). If you install it like this and want to play mods you will frequently have to change this setting in their .ini.

The other way just installs it in the regular Mods folder where it can't interfere with anything, but you have to launch it as a mod and therefore can not also get the BUG changes while using any other mod.

Not a lot mod mods are compatible with it these days anyway (due to modifyign the Python in the mod, often incorporating BUG already) so the benefits of doing it the Custom Assets way are minimal.

There might be a thing that can possible cause problem in My Games. It can store its settings in a folder in My Games (probably, but not necessarily, in the Beyond the Sword folder) instead of in a folder in the mod's own folder and it may be possible for mods that incorporate BUG and use that method of storing the settings to inherit the settings for other mods which may not be compatible. Maybe. I don't think I've ever seen an issue with this. I know that Dune Wars, K-Mod, and LoR store settings over in My Games but they each use their own folder, with name based on the mod, so they do not interfere with each other (and this may not be BUG related anyway). FFH also stores data over there, but those are not BUG settings.

Top Bottom