Unbearable turn times? Can they be fixed?

Thankfully, playing on Duel/Tiny maps with a few civs and no CS made the turn times fly by, but what fun is that? I want a 16 Civ/20 CS game on bigger maps and still be able to do more than a few turns per hour.

I agree fully. I'm one of those players who likes to play "realistically" and not just to beat the game. Playing with only 8 civs even makes the map feel empty. You reach a point where you've discovered everyone and that's it. Once I know where everyone's at the incentive to explore drops pretty quickly. I miss the days of Civ 4 and being able to play huge maps, where there was a sense you were playing on an actual world.

I agree fully. I'm one of those players who likes to play "realistically" and not just to beat the game. Playing with only 8 civs even makes the map feel empty. You reach a point where you've discovered everyone and that's it. Once I know where everyone's at the incentive to explore drops pretty quickly. I miss the days of Civ 4 and being able to play huge maps, where there was a sense you were playing on an actual world.

+1 all the way baby

Kids! On some Civ II maps you could make a sandwich and a pot of coffee between turns.
EDIT: And that was with a state-of-the-art DX4 100 CPU and eight whole Megs of RAM. :lol:

I remember those days. But that was usually after you got that just one more turn kick started. After they raised the max allowable AI, I played on huge think it was 18? From the original max 8 AI civs. But the turns where much faster in the beginning, I guess that's a trade off for better graphics. Built more walls! -military advisor

I've got a quad core i970 with 12Gig of RAM and even my machine is struggling through the turns changes after about 380 or so.

Hope they find the issue soon...

Kids! On some Civ II maps you could make a sandwich and a pot of coffee between turns.
EDIT: And that was with a state-of-the-art DX4 100 CPU and eight whole Megs of RAM. :lol:

U can do that too now. Try play on Huge and get to year 1940.
:lol:

Well, its gloat time.

I WAS RIGHT, WHUT! My gameplay turns picked up 4x from G+K which means the slower turns has to have something to do with part but not all of it "being there".

Now, i can play in normalcy again.

This along with no auto save, and no animations makes the game fly no matter year. :) So glad I found this tip, real crazy how that one line speeds the game up so much. :)

I tried this and...YES....it sped things up noticably....my wait times, even into the earlier part of a late game are now quite acceptable. I'm not sure which of the changes was the most critical...the only animation reference that I needed to switch off was something to do with multiplayer....but, I guess, even if I'm not in multiplayer mode something might have been going on behind the scenes....

Thank you to you and to Lone Wolf for the "EnableGameCoreThreading = 0" option.... :goodjob:

I do remember late game Civ 4 taking forever as well. I'm just worried that with everything G&K is adding, it's going to be even worse.

Sounds like a hardware upgrade would do wonders (20-30 seconds between turns in the late game sounds amazing) but it sounds like I'll still have to have a book/laptop nearby to kill time between turns.

This is why my pc gaming has petered off to just Civ 4 and 5. Having to buy brand new hardware to run a two year old game seems really stupid.:sad:

I have an overclocked i7 at 4.2 ghz and 8gb RAM just like the other guy. But "only" a GTX570 gpu. But turn times for me on large maps with 20 Civs also ends up in the 15-20 seconds range, so you certainly don't need to spend 1000$ on the most redundant GPU on the market.

Ever since the patch about a week ago it's been a nightmare! On small maps before the patch turn times would take about 30 secs max in the late game and most of the time it was less than 15 secs. Or maybe I'm just looking back through rose tinted glasses and it was actually a lot worse than that.

But since the patch it's been in the minute range even in the early eras. And it keeps getting really buggy as well. I'll have finished all my moves for one turn and have nothing left to do, and it will still say "choose production" or "unit needs moving" instead of the "next turn" which should be showing. I had this to an extent before the patch, but it would be for a small amount of time whereas now it's in the minute range. Bizarrely if I click on a unit whilst it's in this "choose production" even though I alraedy have, phase, it seems to do a manual overide and it switches to "next turn" allowing me to have speedier turns.

It's so frustrating. At times it seems to last 3 or 4 minutes and totally lock up. I'll try some of the tips that have been suggested in here, I really hope they work because I'm so hyped to play G+K and this new turn time problem since the patch is going to absolutely ruin it for me.

Ok I've changed the coregamingthread thing to 0, or was it 1? Well whataver it said to do, I did it.

Hope this works. I don't post in here very often, but I do a lot of reading of these forums. I've gotta say it's a great community, and has helped me out a hell of a lot. I'm not the most tech savy person out there, but I just about manage to get by with you guys' help. :lol:

i find the turn times on CIV 5 to be fast considering , seem faster than previous CIV games . Previous CIV's you could leave the room and come back and it would still be going.

Top Bottom