1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

unbuggy version of Col for Windows?

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by TehJumpingJawa, Oct 10, 2008.

1. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

Having played, and been thoroughly disappointed by civ4col, I want to go back and have a play of the original.

However I remember the last time I tried Col for Windows, it was hideously buggy and consequently not much fun to play. (unit selection in city windows would break after a time, path finding was broken as were trade routes).

So, does anyone know of a version of Col for Windows that is bug-free?

2. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Prince

Dos Col is fairly stable. I get an occasional ctd but is east to relaunch. Never had units stop working. The graphics in the dos version are not as crisp as ColWin, but still addictive as ever. You could google/amazon/ebay around for it. I run mine (ver 3.0) without dosbox on xp.

3. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

Thanks, I found a free download of col4win and played it abit last night - I forgot how good it was!
    Unfortunately, all the bugs I remember it containing emerged eventually - pathing, mouse clicks in city screen & broken trade routes :(

i'll have a hunt for dos col...

I wish civ4col was as good as the original - seems bizarre that a 14 year old game can trump something that is brand-new :crazyeye:

4. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

I don't think you will be able to avoid the trade route bug, it is still present in the DOS version.

5. Thorn

Thorn King

Hideously buggy? I play Col for Windows and don't seem to have any major problems. It's definitely playable.

6. Vorpal+5

Vorpal+5 Venturing in Erebus

yup, and the AI is better than Civ4Col :)

7. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

My experiences with CivIVColII have also made me go back to playing the original game. That was the last thing I thought I would do.

The original game has a simple elegance - a sense of wonder and discovery - richness - you know what I mean, folks. The memory shortage and the Encircling Dragoons are really annoying, but even so, Colonization One is a wonderful game.

8. MXB

MXB Chieftain

I've played both the DOS and Win versions of COL and find them both quite playable. The Win version does have sharper graphics and may (not sure) be a smarter opponent but it does have an annoying flaw in that one can't use the keyboard for many of the often used functions. I guess they figured that since it was made for the rodent-loving GUI only mousers would play... Me, I LOVE cats. <evil grin>

9. Imagawa99

Imagawa99 Chieftain

something i have been playing recently is the amiga version of colonization. It was always my favourite version anyway but if your having troubles with pc versions it migth be worth a try. You would need a copy of winuae (amiga emulator) and the game itself of course and also a kickstart rom image, which for reasons i cant even begin to guess at, some company is holding onto the copyright for so many sites wont distribute it, but a careful search of the internet can often turn up gold :p of course if you ever owned an amiga your perfectly entitled to use it... You will also need a save disk image which a quick search ought to turn up

Winuae can be fiddly to set up but once its working you will have access to a few other golden oldies aswell. On the downside the people that made winuae seem determined to emulate an amiga perfectly, including all its drawbacks. You got to admire craftsmanship but its not so fast even if you jack the settings right up

A good place to start would be a google search for "adf amiga colonization" Its a blast from the past, you migth try looking up syndicate while your at it :goodjob:

10. MXB

MXB Chieftain

Ahhh, the Amiga. The 500, 1000, 2000. Good friends of mine had one, myself I had a jr. version... ;-) That's the awesome Commodore 128 I speak of.

11. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

This game was originally written for Amiga and should be played on Amiga. Or possibly an emulator.
    In those days the Amiga, and thus Amiga versions, was superior. The IBM platform and DOS were just not suitable for games. The Amiga was years ahead.

12. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

Unfortunately, this is false.

13. MXB

MXB Chieftain

I've never come across a game that was first made for the Amiga. Several classics started as Mac games (SimCity, Populous) but none that I know of for the Amiga.
    It's true that the IBM's were once the domain of the spreadsheeters and other business types but oh how quickly did the IBM's catch up thanks to their flexibility via the expansion slots. As a lifelong diehard gamer I've never once regretted switching from Commodore to IBM in 1989.

14. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

Lemmings & Populous are both absolute Classics that originated on the Amiga.
    I'm sure there are hundreds of others. The PC realy wasn't a very good games platform at the time.

15. MXB

MXB Chieftain

Oh hell yes, I got Populous all wrong. Pop II in particular I now recall being from the Amiga, it's very evident in the docs. Lemmings I was unaware of. Cool. Thanks for the correction.

16. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

ok, my assumption was wrong. Actually 1995 was late in the gaming history, and at that time DOS games had gained much popularity. Not so strange if it was released on IBM/DOS first.

17. Bratmon

Bratmon Super Bratmon 3

No, that's the norm. The exception is a sequel that's better.

18. candle

candle Prince

nope its still buggy, I run it on Windows 3.1 through virtual PC 2004 so its stable lol