Uncharted Territory: Aabraxan Plays Nice.

Aabraxan

Mid-level Micromanager
Uncharted Territory: Aabraxan Plays Nice.

Based on requests from my last story, The Clone Wars, I've decided to play nice in this game. Hoooo boy, this one's going to be hard on me! When I get bored, I have a tendency to go beat up my neighbors. :blush:

Anyway, I'm not very good with culture games. The Babs are ordinarily the kings of culture, right? Well, I decided not to go with them. The Babs are fantastic if you're concerned about building temples and libraries all over the place. This is 20K, though, so I'm more concerned about building boatloads of culture in one place. Accordingly, I chose the Ottomans. Masonry & BW gives me immediate access to the Pyramids and the Colossus. From what little I understand about 20K, I really want wonders to be able to do the whole culture-doubling thing, & with Mass Regicide, popping CB from a hut seems moderately likely. With Industrious workers, well, y'all know the drill.

I've chosen an archipelago map to slow down the AI's tech pace, but it's going to be 60% water, so only slightly smaller landmasses than a continents map (in theory). I also loaded the roster with scientifics, so that I can take advantage of change-of-age trading. While lots of my opponents start with Alphabet, I have intentionally left the Byzantines out. I don't need any seafaring trollop to take control of my tech pace.

The Statistics:
Version: Civ III Conquests 1.22
Level: Emperor
Civ: Ottoman
Victory Conditions Allowed: 20K, Mass Regicide
Victory Condition On: Domination, SS, Diplo, Conquest, Cultural
Opponents: 7
Variant: Just that I'm going to try to play well with others.
Barbarians: Roaming
Scientific Great Leaders: On
AI Respawn: Off
Land mass: Archipelago
Water: 60%
Map size: Standard
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Temperate

Like so many of my solo games, I wanted a decent start. In this one, that meant a river and a coast. That's all I wanted. I had 8 or 10 disastrous-looking starts, then found this one:

It wasn't on the coast, but I was only going to have to move 1 tile to get there. The wheat would stay in range, and the cow would be stay in the fat cross. Looks like a winner to me.

I went ahead and popped that hut with one of my king units

Once I got my spare kings evenly spread out, I have a slightly better idea of my area.

I found Aabraxa in 3950 BC, and discover that tech selection is more difficult when: (a) you're playing a relatively unfamiliar variant; and (b) you've been out of the loop for a while. I have CB, Masonry and BW. There are lots of rich wonders down the Monarchy branch of the tech tree, but I don't currently have any way to prebuild. Also, I think I want Aabraxa to be my 20 K city, so I grab Pots as my first tech. I'll need granaries for prebuilds. Pottery due in 15.

(Spoonwood, is the palace subject to 1000 year culture doubling?)

In 3900 BC, I pop another hut to desireable results:

In 3750 BC, I finally make contact with a neighbor: "Otto! Mein alter Freund! Wie geht's dir?" I make contact with Otto, just to see what he's got and what he knows.

Pottery comes in, and I swap Pots and CB for two German workers and all 10 of their gold. It's not a great trade by ordinary standards, but I need the workers. I've got 2 cities and 1 worker, with 1 in cue. If I'm going to make decent time on 20K, I need some tiles improved. Next tech? Alphabet at maximum. I need to start eyeballing the Temple of Artemis, but if I can pull off the slingshot (certainly not guaranteed at this point), that's an extra chance at an SGL.

Over the next few hundred years, I think I discovered that my hut-luck is all shot. I've disturbed angry warriors from more tribes than I care to count. Fortunately, those fast-moving kings also allow me to make contact with Catherine of Russia in 3200 BC.

I whip the temple at Aabraxa, and start the Colossus in 3100 BC.

By 2900 BC, I've made contact with the Germans, Russians, Sumerians, and Greeks. Fortunately, the Greeks have Alpha, and they're willing to sell.

I continue development and exploration. In 2550 BC, my luck takes a slightly better turn, and I pop WC from a hut. OK. At least I have one offensive unit now.

I get Writing in 2050, and set research for Philosophy. I will change into a Republic, but I feel like I really need to make sure I get the Philo slingshot, even if it's not a Republic slingshot.

In 2030, the Colossus is completed. Next: Pyramids, 34 turns out

In 1950 AD, I get notice that the Sumerians are building the Pyramids.

Building an embassy costs ~27 more gold that I have, so maybe it's time to sell something.

I sell Writing to Cathy for Mysticism, The Wheel and 20 gold. Not quite enough. Alex also has 2 workers that I'd really like to buy, but I'd have to trade him 2 techs to get them. The two techs are Writing and Masonry, but since Masonry is already out there, I decide to go ahead with it:

I give:
Writing
Masonry

Alex gives:
Worker (Greece)
Worker (Greece)
9 gold

It leaves my treasury pretty strapped, but I build an embassy in Ur.

I keep science high, hoping to grab Philo first, and then take Literature with it. I won't need the GLib for its science, but it does produce nice culture.

Then I get a nice surprise! :D

Then, I got faked out. :(

For a second, I thought I'd pulled off a double SGL! :eek: Nope. That was just the text left over from the Philo SGL. Still, I have an SGL. :goodjob:

Given how far ahead of the Sumerians I am on the Pyramids, I decide to hold the SGL for the GLib.

In 1650 AD, I get notice that the Russians are building the Pyramids. Unfortunately, I do not have the gold to build an embassy. Even more unfortunately, there's not enough gold on my continent to build an embassy, no matter what I sell.

In 1525 AD, I get notice that the Germans are building the Oracle, as are the Sumerians.

Shortly thereafter, Cathy offers a tech trade, which I decline, and Otto demands Alphabet. I am still weak militarily, so I give him Alpha. I won't forget this, Otto.

In 1425, the Greeks start the Pyramids. Looks like this one's going to be a fistfight and a footrace.

After another round of trading, in which I grab IW, but fail to get Gilgamesh to turn loose of Polytheism, I build an embassy in Berlin.

I consider researching Republic, just because it makes awesome trade bait, but I need to bring the cost of Polytheism down, so I set my sights thataway.

It's not long before I get the price down, at least to a point where Poly can be purchased. It's expensive, but it will let me get started on ToA, and sell it on the other continent. The fact that Sumeria beat me to it somewhat reduces Poly's value to me, as I'm no longer able to draw an SGL off it.

Immediately after the trade the Sumerians start the ToA. Maybe I'll use my SGL for that.

In 1200 BC, the Koreans start the Pyramids.

In 1175 BC, Aabraxa finishes the Pyramids.

Now for the moment of truth . . . what will the cascade be like? Turns out, there's not one.

Looking at the Wonders available to me (ToA, GLib, Oracle and Mausolleum), I decide to burn the SGL on the ToA. It costs the most, so I get the most shields/SGL available. Besides, I'm the only one with access to the GLib, so I may still be able to grab that. As for the Oracle and Mausolleum, I don't know. They're low-shield, low-culture wonders. I may try to grab one of them, too, but I think I should pin down the big ones first.

I think that's a good start on a 20K game. I don't think this is anywhere close to HOF-class playing, but at 1150 BC, Aabraxa is generating 17 culture per turn, and CA2 says that it could hit 20K in 2331 AD at current rates.

Comments?

The Palace does double in terms of culture within 1000 years. Who has ivory? Can Edrine put in a harbor yet? With the SGL, I think I would have finished off the Oracle, which costs less and gives the same culture as the Pyramids, then SGLed the Pyramids. For later...

Great Library-400/6
Hanging Gardens-300/4
Museum of Mausollos-200/2
Great Wall-300/2
Great Lighthouse-300/2
Sun Tzu's-600/2
Leo's-600/2
Sistine Chapel-600/6
Cope's-400/4
Bach's-600/6
Shake's-450/8
Smith's-600/3
Magellan's-400/3
Newton's-400/6
Universal Suffrage-800/4
Theory of Evolution-600/3
Hoover's Dam-800/2
Wall Street-300/2
Battlefield Medicine-500/1
Intelligence Agency-400/1
Pentagon-400/1
Military Academy-400/1

What does your capital look like right now? Could you give us a city screenshot? You might have an interesting choice if Sumeria gets Monarchy before you finish the Great Library/Museum of Mausollos. Then again, I don't know how much the little library will take off of Republic for you. Oh... and as for playing "peacefully", if you just want to play this as a straight up 20k game the two best wonders in terms of shields/culture...

1. Statue of Zeus.
2. The Heroic Epic.

Both cost 200 shields for 4 culture per turn... not even the Great Library is as good as that. I feel sure you'll win this... but how did your cow end up in the forest?

Good luck, dude!

Aabra, I used this for the early part of my current and first 20k game, and it is on pace to make it on the HOF charts, which isn't bad for a first try.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76143

Looking at you're screenshot of the 20k city, I see a couple weak spots. Shields are the highest priority, and you should be working that other cow, and have nothing irrigated being worked. That city won't be able to grow again until Shake's, so when engineering comes in, check under each forest for a BG, and work all the BG's, and if you have any regular grassland left being worked, put a forest on them. Basically you want to get as many shields as possible without going under 24 fpt until rails.

BTW, Subbed.

Ditto what GamezRule said, except for one thing. You can mine the brown plain, mine both cows, and mine the wheat to get you to 21 shields. I might even wake the worker who's mining right now and have him move before the next turn. Sumeria has a slave for sale. Once you get Engineering make sure to start growing wheat in the forest. Also, you should have two forests where cows start grazing. Pre-Engineering that's 21 shields. Post Engineering that's 26 shields. Pretty sure it's 31 post Shake's here. I think you can also go 70 science, 30 luxes for a bit.

GamezRule said:
Basically you want to get as many shields as possible without going under 24 fpt until rails.

Until Shake's.

That's what I mean't. :undecide:

I mixed two independent sentences. The rail thing was supposed to be for chopping any planted forests, then mining and railing, keeping 2 spt, while gaining 1 fpt.

Thanks, guys. I debated for quite some time as to whether to mine or water the wheat when my first worker arrived there. I finally came to the conclusion that it was more important to get the city up to size 12 before worrying about shields. Now that I've got it up to size 12, I just haven't gotten workers back into the neighborhood for reworking tiles. I'll get a worker or three rounded up and send them back to Aabraxa and rework some of those tiles.

Again, thanks.

Chapter 2: Aabraxan Follows Advice!

OK. I'm going to follow GamezRule's and Spoonwood's advice and go back and rework tiles at Aabraxa to maximize shield production. Now that it's at size 12, I don't need extra food, and I have a ton of it.

I'm also going to buy Gil's worker.

I also buy Map Making. Judging from Spoonwood's comment, I'm going to need a harbor. Presumably, I should start looking to import ivory, so that I can build the SoZ.

I turn down lux to 30% and crank up science to 70%. That shaves 5 turns off Republic. Due in 14.

In 1000 BC, Edrine starts a harbor.

In 925 BC, the Sumerians begin the Mausoleum of Mausollos.

In 875 BC, the Sumerians begin the Great Lighthouse.

By 850 BC, I have reworked some tiles around Aabraxa, and gotten it up to 22 spt, and 23 cpt. The Colossus has begun producing tourist income.

In 850 BC, the Sumerians complete The Oracle.
In 825 BC, the Russians complete the Mausoleum.
In 775, I complete a road to the closest German town. (Which is really, really weird for me. I don't think I've ever roaded anyone else's territory before.)

I get Republic in 730 BC. No, thank you, I don't want to revolt yet. The GLib is 6 turns out, and I want to finish it. I set research to Math at 10% next. I have enough techs that I can trade for Math (it's known to at least 2 civs), and the only AA techs I have left are Math, Const, Currency, and Monarchy. Simply put, I'm going to build up some cash until the GLib is done (6 turns), revolt to Republic, and then turn research back up. In the meantime, I'll spend the gold building embassies.

By 650, the Sumerians know Monarchy. Hmmmm, are the Hanging Gardens good for culture?

In 650 BC, the Koreans start the GLight.

In 630 BC, I head back to the trading tables.

The Russian trade gets me Math, so I point research towards Construction, and turn research back up, at least until time to revolt. I go see Gil, but as usual, Monarchy is not for sale.

In 610 BC, Aabraxa completes the Great Library. Aaaaand oh, man! My civilization enters a Golden Age! That is sooooo not what I wanted right now. I have, on occasion, revolted during my GA, but I decide not to do so now.

In 550 BC, the Russians begin The Great Wall. Hmm, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the tech race. I buy Construction from Cathy for Lit and 55 gold.

In 430 BC. Construction (my last required AA tech) is 1 turn out, 27 gold in the bank (due to deficit research), the GLight 4 turns out.

LET'S ENTER THE MIDDLE AGES!

Here are the change-of-age trades:

Gil enters the next age.

No other trades are notable. I mostly end up giving gifts to bring everyone into the next age. I swap for the 3 first-tier techs, and pick up Chivalry as my 2nd tier tech.

Swap GLight for Hanging Gardens. Due in 3.

OK. I've entered the Middle Ages, and without starting even a single war! :faint: Now that I have Engineering, I can go back and plant some forests around Aabraxa. However, it's late, and I think I've built all the culture that I can for the day. Here's a save. Take a look and tell me what you see.

Attachments

• Osman of the Ottomans, 410 BC.SAV
    166.7 KB · Views: 75
In 20k, I would go straight for Republic after first researching BW for the Colossus and possibly CB if there are no other trade options. You could probably have traded for most everything you needed just fine. I might go straight for Republic if I can get everything in a trade soon enough. I think taking Republic as a free tech then researching Lit and Math immediately after is best. Haven't checked you're save yet. Spoonwood know's better then I anyway.

Since you commented GamezRule, on this level with this map I would have definitely researched for the Republic slingshot straight away, and traded for everything else, including Mysticism. You generally won't run out of builds, though some exceptions do exist.

Subscribed. Yes, I still lurk your games. They're fun to read and always tempt me to install the game and play again...can't believe it's been 3 years. Bede and I are still playing MMO's together every day.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could remember how to play at Chieftain level? :p

Subscribed! The Oracle is a cheap source of early culture, sad you missed that one. ToA is less culture, and you need to build a temple first, as your ToA temples will not get culture doubling. Hiya gma, we all miss you.

lurker's comment: *Finally Subscribes* Nice Job so far, Aabraxan! It looks like you're doing quite well.

Top Bottom