Underrated culture civs?

i prefer aztec... at deity it is really interesting because
1) for defence or offence you will go to war a lot with your neigbour ... 50 culture for each iron clad you sink is not bad when a far neighbour decide to throw an invasion at you ... As most of the time the attack play hell with your tech path and construction better get something from it ;)
2) you get early policy soonest due to war or barabarian farming (if you lucky and you do not get the usual 50th turn 100th turn rush from your neighbour)
3) they easy to play tall (and you want tall for culture ...)
4) jungle start.... much easier to defend with jaguar for the early rush (and so nice when you get university)

Poynesia is fun. I've had OCC cultural victory at Deity with them (Vanilla version). The maoi are great, especially if you can group them on the coastline, and being able to travel on water on Turn 1 gives the game a while new dynamic.

Babylon is good for culture, because with Walls of Babylon and Bowmen it is easier to defend small empires, so you can focus on culture. And faster GS helps you stay in the tech race against bigger civs.

Greece. For the same reason as Siam. Athough Greece gets regular bonuses from CS, their influence delays slower, so for the same cost/effort you get about the same return, just spread over a longer time period.

I've had cultural victories with Iroquois up to Immortal. Build 3-4 cities in the forest, defend with several Mohawk Warriors. You get a well-defended civ that is hard to conquer (think how hard it is for you to tramp through forests trying to kill Iroquois!), free roads that keep expenses down and once you get the longhouse you get great production for wonders.

Top Bottom