1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding How To Utilize Water Tiles

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JohnYoga, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Prince

Unfortunately not. I have a GBR city in my current Dutch game, and one of the tiles has fish on it (possibly because of a mod I'm using, CivUP). While the tile yield was increased to 3 food from the fish, the Lighthouse did not improve it to 5 food, or the other tile to 3 food.

2. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Regarding plain old water tiles, the ones that have no resources on them - their yield is poor, and there is no way to improve their yield besides building a Lighthouse for food and the Colossus for gold. Those tiles should generally be lowest on your list of priorities to work.

It isn't like Civ3, where all coast tiles produced two food by default, and then, besides the Harbor to increase food output by 1 for all water tiles (like Civ5's Lighthouse), there was also the Commercial Dock to increase gold output by 1 for all water tiles, and the Offshore Platform to increase production output by 1 for all water tiles. Civ5 has no equivalent of the latter two buildings, so generally coastal cities are not as effective in Civ5 as they were in Civ3.

The change is that in Civ5 there are buildings (Harbor and Seaport) that increase the output of water tiles with resources, but not bare water tiles. So water resources are a lot more important now. Generally coastal cities should only be built if there are several resources in the water, as others have mentioned.

3. Aldor

Aldor King

If you have a coastal city with a lake nearby, a harbor will make the lake tiles 3f 1g which is not totally bad. The Aztecs especially can benefit from this with their UB.

4. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Prince

If you're playing with the NiGHTS mod, the Seaport grants +1:c5production: to every water tile. Harbour doesn't give gold, but it does increase your overall gold output in the city by 15% with no maintenance, which is cool. Harbour and Seaport still grant more hammers and gold to resources. Overall, 1 tile islands become much more viable.

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Harbors only provide :c5production: in tiles that have resources, not on all the sea tiles.

6. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Prince

And you can only correct someone if you read their entire post. Pumpernickel rainbow.

7. iconocast

iconocast Prince

edit -nvm ;P

8. smileyy90210

smileyy90210 Chieftain

At the very least, atolls should do this.

9. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Agreed, atolls were a nice new terrain type to spice up the oceans (like oases are for deserts), and it'd be nice if there were some way to improve them.

10. NotSure

NotSure King

I've always been a little annoyed by the fact that inland cities were so much better than coastal cities. It appears, however, the BNW expansion is going to make coastal cities a must. In the meantime, here's a good mod that only improves coastal cities.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141354854

11. usmcyes

usmcyes Chieftain

Of course, a other reason for coastal cities is the ability to deploy warships.

12. I was NC

I was NC Chieftain

So do the tile benefits of harbors/seaports apply to atolls? In other words are they considered a sea resource?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.