1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding Order of Play to Make Effective use of Allies

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Perugia, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Perugia

Perugia Prince

I have not seen Order of Play mentioned elsewhere on the forums so I've decided to start a thread for it myself.

When you are allied with the AI in a war against another AI which AI Civ moves first in the turn matters.

Let's say we are allied with A and are fighting B.

If our opponent B moves before our ally A then the following happens in order.

1) We move
    2) New units are produced
    3) The opponent moves
    4) Our ally moves
    5) The turn advances
    6) All units that skipped their turn heal
    7) We move again....

This has the following effects:

1) We can benefit by stacking our units with our allies (porcupine stack) just before the opponent has it's move. This makes advancing in the enemy territory much easier.

2) When the opponent wins a combat in the field our ally gets to attack the victorious but injured units and gain easy XPs before we have a chance to respond.

3) Conversely, in the field we get to attack opposing units injured by our ally before they get a chance to escape. Of course if the opposing units didn't move that turn they will heal back some HPs in the inter-turn.

4) Attacking cities if we let our ally attack first so our own attackers face weakend defenders then already fortified and Zzzing defenders will heal back substantial HPs in the inter-turn. We will also face any newly built unit.

Now if our ally A moves before our opponent B then the following happens in order.

1) We move
    2) New units are produced
    3) Our ally moves
    4) The opponent moves
    5) The turn advances
    6) All units that skipped their turn heal
    7) We move again....

This has the following effects:

1) We can no longer be sure of benefitting by stacking our units with our allies (porcupine stack). Our allies units can an often will move from under our stack just before the opponent has it's move. We are going to have rely on defending ourselves in enemy territory.

2) When the opponent wins a combat in the field our units get to attack the victorious but injured units and gain easy XPs before our ally has a chance to respond.

3) Conversely, in the field opposing units injured by our ally have a chance to escape before we can finish them off.

4) Attacking cities if we let our ally attack first so our own attackers face weakend defenders then we can send in our own attackers to capture the city before the defenders have a chance to heal.

OK this is great stuff I hear you say but how exactly do I know the turn order?

Easy - Go to the power graph (F9 screen) and read the legend from top to bottom. The human player is always shown at the top of the list with the AI taking their turns in order as you move down the list. I'm nor sure where Barbarians take there turns.

I generally prefer allies to be lower in the list than opponents so that I can benefit from stacking with them.

2. Orion071

Orion071 Home School Tutor

New units are produced immediately after your turn. If you whip an Axeman because a Barb is next to your city, the Axeman will appear before the Barb attacks.

I don't know about the movement of allies and opponents.

3. Tyrael

Tyrael ALC Lurker

Nice mini-guide, quite useful. I always wondered how to find out the turn order, thanks! :)

4. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Using the F9 screen to see turn-order is probably the biggest tip of the month here. All this time i"ve been using process of elimination by watching battle movement & incoming text announcements.

Missing the obvious things like this under our noses, makes me feel like an amateur all over again.

5. Jorunkun

Jorunkun Back with a vengeance

Can't think of many games where this would have been applicable, but really good thinking. Thanks.

6. Perugia

Perugia Prince

Orion071
    You're right your new units are available to defend AFAIR before all AI - barbs, allies and opponents move - I've edited the original post to reflect this. I'm not sure if barbs move before or after other AI will need to test this.

Tyrael, obsolete
    I used to do exactly the same until I realised there must be a better way - I've added the F9 keyboard shortcut to the post.