Understanding Zone of Control vs. Civ5

Wurmloch

Chieftain
Hi,

I just noticed a slighlt difference between Civ6 and Civ5 in how Zone of Control (ZoC) works. Have a look at this screenshot:
20161030112752_1.jpg
I'm pretty sure in Civ5 it was not possible for the warrior to attack the archer, in Civ6 now it is. This makes it more difficult to protect distance units from beeing attacked, imo.

Bug or Feature, what do you think?

Feature. It was explicitly shown in one of the devs Let's Play prior to release.

The way ZoC now works is that, once you move an unit into a hex adjacent to a melee unit, the first unit cannot move again, but it can use the remainder of its movement to attack the second if able.

What is good about this image is that it demonstrates a further nuance of Civ VI ZOC. The barb warrior starts in ZOC of the Hoplite, but there are no ZOC restrictions based on beginning a turn in another unit's ZOC. So the barb warrior would be free to move in any direction, including back towards the oasis to the SW, or towards the oasis to the SE, or to swap places with the barb spearman. But here, the barb warrior can also move into the oasis tile to the NE, which is a tile that is inside the Hoplite's ZOC. Once the barb warrior re-enters the Hoplite's ZOC it can no longer move back to its starting location or any other direction other than to attack an enemy unit. But note that the barb warrior can attack either the Hoplite whose ZOC has trapped the barb warrior, or he can attack the archer -- even though the archer does not exert ZOC itself. So, once you enter ZOC, your only choice is to attack, but your attack is not limited to attacking the unit that is exerting ZOC -- you can attack any eligible unit in an adjacent tile (as long as you have enough MP to move into that file -- if the archer in this pic was on a hill or in woods or jungle, the barb warrior's only option would be to attack the Hoplite).

My question is-- what units have ZOC and which don't? Melee have it, ranged don't (except without a certain promotion). What about siege or naval? It also seemed the Indian Varu (elephant) when I played against it, did not have it, even though it is melee. (I was able to move right past it without ZOC hindrance).

My question is-- what units have ZOC and which don't? Melee have it, ranged don't (except without a certain promotion). What about siege or naval? It also seemed the Indian Varu (elephant) when I played against it, did not have it, even though it is melee. (I was able to move right past it without ZOC hindrance).
I think only Melee class units exert ZOC now. Even Naval Melee class units don't exert ZOC IIRC. And Indian Varu is classed as Heavy Cavalry so it's normal for it to not have ZOC.

Last edited:
Feature. It was explicitly shown in one of the devs Let's Play prior to release.

The way ZoC now works is that, once you move an unit into a hex adjacent to a melee unit, the first unit cannot move again, but it can use the remainder of its movement to attack the second if able.

What is good about this image is that it demonstrates a further nuance of Civ VI ZOC. The barb warrior starts in ZOC of the Hoplite, but there are no ZOC restrictions based on beginning a turn in another unit's ZOC. So the barb warrior would be free to move in any direction, including back towards the oasis to the SW, or towards the oasis to the SE, or to swap places with the barb spearman. But here, the barb warrior can also move into the oasis tile to the NE, which is a tile that is inside the Hoplite's ZOC. Once the barb warrior re-enters the Hoplite's ZOC it can no longer move back to its starting location or any other direction other than to attack an enemy unit. But note that the barb warrior can attack either the Hoplite whose ZOC has trapped the barb warrior, or he can attack the archer -- even though the archer does not exert ZOC itself. So, once you enter ZOC, your only choice is to attack, but your attack is not limited to attacking the unit that is exerting ZOC -- you can attack any eligible unit in an adjacent tile (as long as you have enough MP to move into that file -- if the archer in this pic was on a hill or in woods or jungle, the barb warrior's only option would be to attack the Hoplite).
Thank you very much for your explanaitions, now I have a clearer picture on how this works and how it is intendend. I see how this mechanic is bound very close to the new movement cost calculation, that also differs from Civ5 - In Civ5 there would always have been enough MP for the attack, if ZoC would have worked the way it does now.

also cavalry unit (not sure whether its both heavy and light or just one of them) ignores ZOC, and range unit can exert ZOC once you reach level 3 promotion if you choose that promotion

Top Bottom