1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Unemployed Great People? (and some whining about archaeology)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by oroniel, Dec 21, 2016.

1. oroniel

oroniel Chieftain

I was playing as Russia and building Lavras, so I ended up getting a lot of artists, writers and musicians. I managed to find space for the books and most musical pieces, but the artists were a complete nightmare. I really enjoy archaeology, and given that one can't build two museums in one city, there were few art museums in my Russia. And then the artists have three charges each, while (I think) musicians and writers only have two. So now it's just a horde of useless Great Artists. What should I do with them, make pickles?

So, as far as I can see, Great People in Civ VI only have a single option for how to expend them, or am I missing something? Just creating a Great Work for artists, musicians and writers, and no other use whatsoever? While Great Scientists mostly give you just a one-time science boost and that's it. This I find rather sad.

On a side note, archaeology has the same problem. You can't make archaeological monuments for culture yield, so it's not interesting to have an ancient site within your borders anymore. You can't even make as many archaeologists as you like, and it'd be useless anyway, because you can only place artifacts in special museums, and archaeologists can't be used for anything else except digging artifacts. *sigh* In CiV I used to scout the map for ancient sites in distant lands, trying to get them all... that was fun.

Anyway, I really really wish Great People had more uses.

2. Woka

Woka Chieftain

Just build more cities.

3. oroniel

oroniel Chieftain

Then I want more archaeological museums. :(

4. jollywonk

jollywonk Chieftain

Hmmm.

So one Art Museum holds 3 works of art. Yes you have to build a Theatre Square and get to the Humanism civic. Another option is to take the Cathedral worship building which will accept 1 work of Religious Art per city.

I believe a Great Musician only provides one Great Work - this can go in your capital city. Build enough amphitheaters to move what is likely an early Great Work of Writing out of that slot. You shouldn't get a 2nd great musician that far ahead of broadcast towers.

The good news is the patch should sort of fix this problem for you. Since Lavras now count against your district limit, you probably don't want to spam quite as many of them anymore, unless you are awash in tundra or something.

5. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Yes, the Lavra sort of breaks their design for great works - for any other civs, you aren't getting the points to generate writers/artists/musicians until you've got the sites to host them. With the Lavra, you start well before that. I think they should nerf it a bit, and have each Lavra only provide 1 additional point - writer, artist, or musician. Not all three.

6. Metecury

Metecury Prince

Wonders are the cure to your problem. Also there is a specific great merchant that gives an art slot to a bank and cathedrals have a religious art slot meaning that the renaissance artists will be able to deposit at leat one work of art.

7. Magil

Magil Monarch

I had similar issues when playing Russia. Cathedrals help some. But you will need more art museums than normal. There are some wonders that will give you more slots, like the Hermitage.

8. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

It really makes you miss the Political Treatises and Concert Tours, doesn't it?

Something you can do with excess Great Artist charges if you're confident you're in a strong position to win is sell them for money or trade them for luxury resources. The AI paid handsomely for the great work of art I unloaded on them, but you don't want to sell it to a Civ that's obviously playing for a Cultural Victory, so check the victory condition leaders before doing so.

oroniel likes this.
  9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

There definitely needs to come some sort of alternative retirement option for Great Writers/Artists/Musicians asap. Could be something as simple as granting a random inspiration or two, although something more interesting would be nice in the long run. But the current situation is just absurd. Yes, they did help it a bit with upgrading amphitheatres from one to two slots, but even then ...

Also, there are some extremely strange design decisions in the Great Artist mechanism. The one game I had so far where I went for early Theatre Districts, I got an early artist who had two or three religious art as his works. That was a MAJOR disadvantage for the rest of the game, because all subsequent artists had either portraits or landscapes as their works. This made it impossible to do theming bonuses with the religious works, plus they took up space in my museums which prevented me from theming my subsequent works. So basically the game penalized me big time for focusing on early culture. :crazyeye:

oroniel likes this.
  10. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

If the AI also has great works, you could trade one or more of your religious works for portraits or landscapes.

11. dac050

dac050 Warlord

I'd like to be able to trade great people Because if your Art slots are all full, you can't make anymore and trade them.

I also hate the trade screen. I had two Javelins, one was Ancient, from a city state, the other was Medevial, from my neighbor. I wanted to trade away the Medevial one, and get another Ancient artifact to theme my museum. I couldn't tell the difference in the trade screen, so I flipped a coin and guessed. I traded away the wrong one.

oroniel likes this.
  12. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Well, you could just sell an existing work of art (you can sell works for gold, luxuries, an AI city, or whatever else the AI prepared to pay), generate a new great work, then sell or trade it (or a different great work), then create another one, etc. etc.

As for your other point, yes, it would be great if the trade screen included that additional information.