Unhappiness and citizens

Groover

Chieftain
Hi,

I'm a newbie and have played a couple of games just to try to figure stuff out.
I understand that there is a difference between global and local happiness.
What I have understood about local happiness is that it cant exceed the amount of citizen in the the city.

But how can unhappiness be more than the amount of citizen per city in the city breakdown? Like New York has 19 citizen but 22 unhappy and 5 happy(one happy is based on tradition/Military Caste)?

I have searched and read formulas but nothing seems to match what I'm seeing.

Difficulty: Prince
Social policies: Full tradition and honor

If I posted this in the wrong part of the forum I'm sorry.
Thank you for all the help.

Regards
Groover

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 191
As your image shows, each city generates 3 unhappiness itself, and each citizen generates 1 unhappiness, so a 19 pop city (like NY) will have 22 unhappiness, unless you have a social policy that reduces unhappiness, like the Monarchy social policy in Tradition, which cuts population unhappiness in your capital by 50%. I don't know what the population is in Washington, but you should be able to see the Monarchy effects in the Washington unhappiness numbers.

To dig your way out of your -6 happy hole, I would recommend that you study the diplo screens to see if you can do any trades with AI civs to get some more luxuries (you only have three unique luxuries, generating +4 happiness each -- you really should have a few more). Or ally some CSs with unique luxuries. Another option is to become friends with some mercantile city-states (they give +2 happiness in the ancient and classical eras, and +3 thereafter) -- you appear to have more than enough gold on hand to make some mercantile CS gifts. And, yes, if you have some cities without garrisons, you are losing out on +1 local happiness from Military Caste in those cities.

Ahh ok now I get it. It summarize every possible unhappiness including the city penalty under the city breakdown. I thought it was left out of the calculation because it had its own line.
And yes, you're correct about the Monarchy social policy. Washington is my main and it did cut unhappiness with -6 therefor showing up as 9.
Thank you very much for the gaming tips and for all your help.

Regards
Groover

Top Bottom