Unhappiness by improvements?

sukha

Chieftain
Spoiler :

What the hell is "Some Improvements are making us unhappy"?
It started around when I got Monarchy, so what they don't like roads or something?

Attachments

• unhappy.jpg
    unhappy.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 347
my problem with unhappiness/unhealthiness form improvements is somewhat invisible. if you are not familiar with this you will realize it far too late. and even if you are it easily slips from your mind. so should improvements show health & happiness directly on the worked tile? i think yes.

btw. do the unhappiness only apply when the improvements are worked?

my problem with unhappiness/unhealthiness form improvements is somewhat invisible. if you are not familiar with this you will realize it far too late. and even if you are it easily slips from your mind. so should improvements show health & happiness directly on the worked tile? i think yes.

btw. do the unhappiness only apply when the improvements are worked?

Ingame wiki about Happines does not mention this as a possible unhappiness factor and you don't get any indicators for it. I can't see how I would come to this conclusion by myself.

It does seem like a poor tradeoff, really - having to deal with an extra unhappy citizen for a single extra hammer?

Yes, it's pretty much a downgrade. A downgrade you can cope with by pillaging it whenever it pops up, the AI of course is not that smart - improvements that grow are supposed to get better over time, not worse, after all.

Yes, it's pretty much a downgrade. A downgrade you can cope with by pillaging it whenever it pops up, the AI of course is not that smart - improvements that grow are supposed to get better over time, not worse, after all.

Hahaha this not what i would call a good game mechanich.

it depends. i get most of my production in the early game from mines and there is not much of an alternative. so it mines are more complicated to deal with right now - but still worth it.

as for the AI it has still the problem that its cities are miraculously very small (i bet it's slavery civic) and it builds much more mines that it can work - crippling itself sometimes.

it depends. i get most of my production in the early game from mines and there is not much of an alternative. so it mines are more complicated to deal with right now - but still worth it.

as for the AI it has still the problem that its cities are miraculously very small (i bet it's slavery civic) and it builds much more mines that it can work - crippling itself sometimes.

With Ruthless AI? I never see AI using slavery civic ever.

I just removed the shaft mine unhappiness, I don't think it really gives anything positive to the game to have them create unhappiness.

Tell me where and how :D I needz tis!!!

RoM/Assets/XML/Terrain and find the file ImprovementInfos.xml (don't have it in front of me so you need to figure out what I'm talking about :)). Go to Shaft Mine entry. Go down to the entry until you get to where happiness or unhappiness is, and change it.

Again, not in front of me so don't follow so exactly but use your judgment since you seem somewhat experienced with xml editing :).

RoM/Assets/XML/Terrain and find the file ImprovementInfos.xml (don't have it in front of me so you need to figure out what I'm talking about :)). Go to Shaft Mine entry. Go down to the entry until you get to where happiness or unhappiness is, and change it.

Again, not in front of me so don't follow so exactly but use your judgment since you seem somewhat experienced with xml editing :).

Found it, thx man.

what bothers me is that only shaft mines give that unhappiness penalty but not mines! and since mines grow automatically into shaft mines you can get quite a lot of unhappiness out of nowhere without any warning.

i think the unhappiness should apply to both (or none) and be a bit more visible.

why unhappiness from shaft mines anyway? i could understand pollution being generated from it.

why unhappiness from shaft mines anyway? i could understand pollution being generated from it.

think of how working conditions were in a mine say 100 years ago. they were even much worse in earlier ages. so no free man would willingly work in a mine. mostly slaves did and their live expectancy was very small. and it is obvious why labor camps add :mad: i think.

for more detail on unhappiness from mines look up the spanish mines in the new world and how they were operated.

this first changed in the industrial age where the miners were at least 'free' workers. nevertheless they were still exploited and the danger of the job gave little in return. first in the modern the mining became such that you can tell it doesn't cause unhappiness as there are security standards and the work is paid fairly. but even in modern days in mines in china and russia working conditions are still disastrous.

Top Bottom