Unhappiness Cause: It's Just Way Too Crowded

Chieftain
This seems to be the primary reason why i have unhappy citizens.

What is the main cause and solution for this? i end up making some of them entertainers. sometimes I also raise the happiness meter up a bit.

Just wondering if there are any tips for keeping my citizens happy. Do most of you use the happiness slider in the domestic advisor section? I raise it sometimes, but it really costs a lot of gpt.

thanks!

if ur citizens say that they r too crowded, if just means that u already have ur content citizens (which is decided by the level of diffculty), u can stop it by having military units (max 2 in despot) to make unhappy ppl turn content, or build temples (or the like), luxeries, or the domestic advisor luxery tax

it seems that my unhappiness problems gets worse later in the game, after i already have put in almost every happiness improvement I could put in (cathedral, colloseum, temple, etc.), and a very large quantity of military units fortified in the city. the only way to improve it is to have a large number of entertainers or raise the happiness slider.

i was kinda thinking that i might be doing things wrong, since they are unhappy despite all the improvements i made in the cities.

i also notice most of the unhappy citizens are working on the coast (although the reason still states "it's just way too crowded")

On the higher levels, luxuries are the key. You need to acquire almost all of them and have marketplaces in every city to multiply the effect. On lower levels you have a chance at Sistine Chapel.

cool, thanks for all of the advice. i am only now starting to realize the importance of securing luxury resources, so i'll start really concentrating on that.

i guess i'm just still a little confused on one thing though... the solutions you all mention will help and all, but it doesn't seem to address the root cause of the unhappiness. That being that it's just way too crowded (according to the unhappiness report).

So should i just disregard the reason for unhappiness and solve it by traditional means? (luxury, improvements, entertainers, happiness slider)?

"Way too crowded" is sort of a default cause for unhappiness. All the above suggestions are good, but one of the most powerful tools to fight unhappiness is the marketplace. It has a multiplier effect when you have multiple luxuries.

Originally posted by wilbill
"Way too crowded" is sort of a default cause for unhappiness. All the above suggestions are good, but one of the most powerful tools to fight unhappiness is the marketplace. It has a multiplier effect when you have multiple luxuries.

ah ok, thanks for the confirmation on that!

On Cheiftain, 5 citizens are born happy... (5 as in 5 citizen heads, god knows how much each represent...). Each higher level subtracts that by how many levels higher you are...

Go figures... I wouldnt suddenly become happy if its over crowded and all I get are some crappy entertainment...

Another thing to consider is smaller cities. I tend to keep mine around size 20 give or take 1 or 2 people. You don't really need size 25+ cities

Originally posted by 80k
This seems to be the primary reason why i have unhappy citizens.

What is the main cause and solution for this? i end up making some of them entertainers. sometimes I also raise the happiness meter up a bit.

Just wondering if there are any tips for keeping my citizens happy. Do most of you use the happiness slider in the domestic advisor section? I raise it sometimes, but it really costs a lot of gpt.

thanks!
Build Marketplace and TRADE for Luxury.

People are never born happy, they are born content.

The number of content citizens vary from 4 (chieftain) to 1 (emperor, deity).

Temples, cathedrals, colosseums and Wonders make people content, not happy.

Luxuries and luxury tax make people happy.

Also if some1 declares war on you you get a temporary happiness boost as people are by your side to fight the enemy.

Top Bottom