Unhappiness caused by empire size

45°38'N-13°47'E;13779786 said:
Also I'm thinking about reducing bonus happiness in handicapinfo. 4 happy citizens on noble straight away look too much to me. I think I'll cut in half that happiness bonus, but I'm still testing it.

Make sure that you don't break harder difficulties (i.e Diety starting city should not start unhappy).

Make sure that you don't break harder difficulties (i.e Diety starting city should not start unhappy).
I haven't tried on deity yet, I'll do it tomorrow. I've reduced happiness bonus, from my test it looks challenging but not impossible.

I started a game and settled my first city, and it was stagnant from being unhappy from the start. I looked at the AI cities also; they have the same problem. Frankly, I like the old model better - unhappiness from number of cities. Distance from capital is already handled with increased maintenance. Please at least give us an option to toggle between unhappiness from number of cities and distance in the options before the game.

I started a game and settled my first city, and it was stagnant from being unhappy from the start. I looked at the AI cities also; they have the same problem. Frankly, I like the old model better - unhappiness from number of cities. Distance from capital is already handled with increased maintenance. Please at least give us an option to toggle between unhappiness from number of cities and distance in the options before the game.

What you are describing makes zero sense, as unhappiness from empire size does not take effect until 2+ cities exist.

I suggest you file a bug report in the correct thread w/save etc if you suspect a real issue, and verify you have a working install.

Can you post a save? I don't understand how it could be unhappy from the start since even on deity you start with 1 unhappy from population and 2 happy (one from happiness bonus, one from palace)

I agree.
I play the Mod since only 2 weeks but really liked it. But since 2 days ago when the update came it is impossible to build up other cities than the capital. (same for AI).

Even if the second and third cities are quite close to capital they have 8-15 unhappy people. How should this be compensated?

Too bad that it is not possible to deactivate the new "distance to capital" function.

I agree.
I play the Mod since only 2 weeks but really liked it. But since 2 days ago when the update came it is impossible to build up other cities than the capital. (same for AI).

Even if the second and third cities are quite close to capital they have 8-15 unhappy people. How should this be compensated?

Too bad that it is not possible to deactivate the new "distance to capital" function.
You just play on, unhappiness will decrease with time. Aquire resources, use culture to compensate. And anyway in my test AI is still expanding well. Can you provide a savegame to support your opinion? Thanks.

P.S. you can expand even with unhappy cities, as you can unhealthy ones.

A savegame is attached.

I can understand the idea of the "distance to capital" thing, but I think it is much too much unhappyness.
In the attached game I have founded the cities (especially Orleons) quite close to the capital to try it out. The city orleons does exist since many rounds, but it is not possible to get more pop than 1 because of the unhappyness.

this is btw a low difficulty level.

Attachments

• Sir Koloman v. Chr.-2955.CivBeyondSwordSave
    490.1 KB · Views: 32
A savegame is attached.

I can understand the idea of the "distance to capital" thing, but I think it is much too much unhappyness.
In the attached game I have founded the cities (especially Orleons) quite close to the capital to try it out. The city orleons does exist since many rounds, but it is not possible to get more pop than 1 because of the unhappyness.

this is btw a low difficulty level.

Mmm, I see. I can reduce unhappiness on ancient era because in that era you still don't have accesso to many resources; I think it should be enough. :)

There's already complaints about the Ancient era being far too slow - usually during the 'opening half' of it - I can't imagine having all but one city crippled by unhappiness, if not entirely stalled all together, will help the "It's too slow!" complaints any :lol:

Toning it down a touch might be a good idea.

I solved the problem by changing the HandicapInfo myself.
The only "problem" is now, that cities which are near the capital are extremely happy. But anyhow, that is much better than before.

I solved the problem by changing the HandicapInfo myself.
The only "problem" is now, that cities which are near the capital are extremely happy. But anyhow, that is much better than before.
That's what I'm trying to avoid. It will be fixed in next update.

Is that value hardcapped; i.e. no more than -8 size unhappiness or is it possible to edit that out somehow? Wish there would be a "no empire size unhappiness" option in the bug options.

Right now my empire is in more or less complete (expansion) standstill. Playing on giant / eternal, put some cities in the North America/Canada regions plus a few small footholds in South America & in what I guess is Australia. I cant really start going wild anywhere overseas and to some extend I cant even really slow down with research because less research = more money = more tax unhappiness (or more culture = city flipping). Could use spycraft as dumping ground but that will still result in nothing but clicking turn, not daring to move an army or a settler.

Bullrushing to future tech for happiness feels kind of lame. Want to take more time in certain phases; set money to max & conquer the barbarians with my knights :/

491 AD, 3 techs into Renaissance right now

Top Bottom