1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unhappiness increases dramatically with discovery of new tech (any tech) in ancient era.

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Conqueror Worm, May 5, 2019.

1. Conqueror Worm

Conqueror Worm Warlord

I have about two or three happiness more than unhappiness, with four small cities in the early game. When I get a new tech, be it trade, calendar, or military theory, my unhappiness suddenly jumps to 5 or so more than my happiness and sends all my cities into instant famine. When I reloaded and changed my tech from trade to calendar just one turn before I was to get trade, I had no such unhappiness leap. That is, until about 25 turns later when I got calendar and my unhappiness suddenly shot up again. Yet when I reloaded and changed my tech from calendar to military theory just one turn before I was to get calendar, there was no unhappiness leap once again. That is, until about 25 turns later I got military theory, then the leap again. It seems that whenever I get a new tech, I get a huge jump in unhappiness. Can someone please explain?

2. CaelumLee

CaelumLee Chieftain

I think the reason for that is you found cities very fast. Like you only have 4 or 5 techs and you settler spammed in those time wherein you can build other buildings first.

3. Conqueror Worm

Conqueror Worm Warlord

Yes, thank you. So that is what I have finally figured is that must be the way that this mod is designed. Is there a good guide somewhere as to the new happiness system?

4. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

Please provide city screenshots (before and after happiness drop) and more detailed figures (number of cities, happy and unhappy citizens in each).

Also do you use modmods that modify balance/gameplay other than VP?

vyyt likes this.
  5. Conqueror Worm

Conqueror Worm Warlord

turn 118
    upload_2019-5-12_15-11-37.png

turn 119 - Trade discovered
    upload_2019-5-12_15-12-40.png

turn 126
    upload_2019-5-12_15-13-34.png

turn 127 - Calendar discovered
    upload_2019-5-12_15-14-33.png

turn 134
    upload_2019-5-12_15-15-17.png

turn 135 - Construction discovered
    upload_2019-5-12_15-16-7.png

6. Conqueror Worm

Conqueror Worm Warlord

And no, I only use VP 4-20 with the CBP enabled.

7. vyyt

vyyt Deity

I am on the small screen of my cellphone, so I may be reading the pics wrong, but it seems that majority of your unhappiness is coming from famine = you are starving your cities. I have no idea why (did the automated city governor assign too many mines/non-food tiles???), but I think you can easily rectify it by assigning some food rich tiles. I think this is not (directly) related to the new tech.

Never happened to me before, but I assign the tiles manually until late game anyway.

8. Conqueror Worm

Conqueror Worm Warlord

Yes, I understand that there is famine, which I believe is due to the massive increase in unhappiness. If you look carefully at the screenshots and read my initial post, you will see that the unhappiness jumps immediately when I discover a new tech. It seems to be an odd game mechanic.

9. Voker57

Voker57 Warlord

Famine is because your cities are starving, nothing to do with technology level. Technology level increases only the standard needs.

vyyt likes this.
  10. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Well, that is the strange thing, famine should not be related to teching at all. This is why I am questioning if the automated governor somehow removed the food-heavy tile assignment. What happens if you reassign the tiles and get rid of the famine?

In other words, what you are seeing should not be happening. Why don't you post a save, so that other people can try loading it? Maybe we'll find that you are doing something wrong or that there's a bug (either in the mod itself or your setup).

11. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

Unhappiness can't cause famine by itself. It lowers growth, which is the what remains after citizens have eaten.
    Perhaps unhappiness causes the problem indirectly via the governor, as mentioned by vyyt. Follow their instructions.

12. Conqueror Worm

Conqueror Worm Warlord

Right, thanks to all! It was due to the automated governor and famine causing unhappiness. So when I got a new tech my citizens' unhappiness must have increased slightly causing famine in all of my cities, which then caused my unhappiness to increase even more. When I put the governor to emphasize food production and bought a couple of food rich plots just before I discovered a new tech, there was no longer famine and therefore no longer a massive increase in unhappiness after I discovered the new tech. This is my first time playing the acclaimed VP, so please forgive my newbieness. Thanks again!

vyyt likes this.
  13. Rekk

Rekk Emperor

There's still something fishy in that discovering a new tech messes with the governor's food allocation.

How much of a food surplus did the cities undergoing famine have before the tech was researched?

vyyt likes this.
  14. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Glad to hear that you have made it work.

But it still looks like a bug to me, it should not be happening either way. Would you create an issue on GutHub and include a save, so that devs can easily reproduce it? It could have been like this for a while without being reported, as I think most of the players active on this forum assign the tiles manually, so we have not noticed.

GitHub is easy to use, but if for some reason it scares you, please upload the save here and I will create an issue for you there.

15. Conqueror Worm

Conqueror Worm Warlord

Here are the three saves just before I discover a tech and unhappiness increases drastically. I hope it helps. I will go on vacation soon for the summer and won't have my gaming computer at hand, so I hope these files are sufficient.

Attached Files: