1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Buildings Elimination Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mesix, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Bazaar 14
    Burial Tomb 17
    Floating Gardens 21
    Paper Maker 28
    Pyramid 39
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 28
    Wat 22

Burial Tomb: It's still a Temple, a building you might not build under all circumstances. It's useful if you want to go wide, but that prevents you from really using Egypt's UA.

Floating Gardens: +15% food is a lot of extra food. It generates as much food as the Hanging Gardens by the time your city is about size 10, even if you don't have any lakes.

2. kamikazees

kamikazees Warlord

Bazaar 12
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 21
    Paper Maker 28
    Pyramid 39
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 28
    Wat 22

Bazaar: Of the ones left, this is the most situational. Having multiple copies of a resource, or few trading partners, renders it pretty useless.

Burial Tomb: Early happiness and religion benefits, no maintenance. Sign me up.

3. ScantilyCladLad

ScantilyCladLad Chieftain

Bazaar 11 (-1)
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 21
    Paper Maker 28
    Pyramid 40 (+1)
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 28
    Wat 22

bazaar is overated imo, normally i have enough luxuries to sell to cpus even with 4 cities with or without a puppet. its hard to get enough trading parters with enough gold for more even on immortal.

only played one game with maya, but well, science + faith spam early with ~8 cities is godly

4. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Bazaar 10
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 19 (-2)
    Paper Maker 28
    Pyramid 40
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 28
    Wat 23 (+1)

Tally for the Bazaar has been corrected as the above post should have been -2.

The Floating Gardens are good, but not really that much better than the Watermill they replace. They shine when there are lakes nearby, but how often is that? Rally all the buildings left are good, the Floating Gardens are just not quite as good.

A vote up for the Wat today. I always need Universities, and they are even better when they also provide :c5culture: for social policies.

5. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

Bazaar 8 (-2)
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29 (+1)
    Pyramid 40
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 28
    Wat 23

The bazaar just isn't very good in some situations, situations that are too common, such as few trading partners or excess of a lux without the building.

Paper maker is the best left. Most likely, every city will have a library. The Paper Maker prints money and your scientific texts. What's not to like?

6. theis81

theis81 Warlord

Bazaar 6 (-2)
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 40 (+1)
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 28
    Wat 23

The bazaar is often useless unless you play huge maps with many trading partners.

The pyramid ensures a good start expanding fast. Just take a happiness boosting religion at first and you can expand while getting decent sci without NC.

7. maurcus

maurcus Warlord

Bazaar 6 (-2) i always settle in areas that have at least 2 or 3 luxs
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 40
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 28 (+1) i prefer it over the paper maker, it comes in the begining gives 2 :c5faith: and 2 :c5culture:
    Wat 23

8. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Bazaar 4
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 40
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 29
    Wat 23

Corrected the tally for maurcus's votes above.

9. maurcus

maurcus Warlord

thanks

10. TM Moot

TM Moot King

Bazaar 2
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 41
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 29
    Wat 23

Early Faith and Science are great, less bothered by cash/trade boosts

11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Bazaar 3
    Burial Tomb 18
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 41
    Satrap's Court 12
    Stele 29
    Wat 23

Bazaar simply does not deserve voted out yet.

Sorry Satrap's court. It's not you, it's me. I hope we can still be friends.

12. duhu

duhu Chieftain

Bazaar extra copy of each luxury resource and +2 Gold for Oil and Oasis tiles
    Burial Tomb +2 Happiness, double gold for enemy
    Floating Gardens +2 Food per lake tile and +15% growth
    Paper Maker +2 Gold
    Pyramid +2 Science
    Satrap's Court +2 Happiness
    Stele +2 Faith
    Wat +3 Culture, +2 Science from jungle tiles

Bazaar offers more for one building than anything except maybe the FG and Wat. On top of which, it is arguably the only UB useful from the time it is built until the game ends.

13. duhu

duhu Chieftain

Bazaar 3
    Burial Tomb 16
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 41
    Satrap's Court 13
    Stele 29
    Wat 23

BT and Court for aforementioned reasons on BT's penalty and the Court's excess happiness on a bank + their UA.

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Why does the penalty bother anybody? I'm not going to vote for it out of the remaining buildings but it's not because of that. Has anyone ever attacked you because you have a Burial Tomb?

In short, who cares unless the AI next to you is Egypt.

15. duhu

duhu Chieftain

Two things champ.

-It's still a penalty, which no other building here has.
    -It's a faith building that produces some happiness. Faith is more useful on cultural victories because of Piety. Additionally, with religions/pantheons that you are getting from that little faith, there are ways to boost happiness with that.

16. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

Bazaar 1 (-2)
    Burial Tomb 16
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 41
    Satrap's Court 13
    Stele 30 (+1)
    Wat 23

For me, it's a tossup between Bazaar and Satrap's Court for which should go next. My problem with the Bazaar is that it can become worthless in a wide empire, because you already have enough copies of every lux to trade. Arabia is designed to go wide, so this is a serious anti-synergy. It's also worthless for the mid-late game in domination games, because you're not likely to have that many trading partners due to warmongering. I'm a domination fan, and Arabia is otherwise a great domination civ.

I still think the Stele deserves to be #2. I love the papermaker, but it's not an immediate game changer. Stele gives you your choice of pantheon asap, which can really help get the ball rolling.

17. kamikazees

kamikazees Warlord

Bazaar 1 (-2)
    Burial Tomb 16
    Floating Gardens 17
    Paper Maker 30
    Pyramid 41
    Satrap's Court 13
    Stele 30 (+1)
    Wat 23

Floating Gardens: Not sure what all the fuss is about this UB. It doesn't even provide as much food as a Watermill unless your city is already producing more than 13 excess food (13.33 x 15% = 1.99), or you settle next to and work a lake, which is rare and really almost never.

Paper Maker: China can field a bigger and more advanced army earlier than you, which spawns more great generals, which help them defend their (or take your) land!

18. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Actually, the Floating Gardens produces the same +2 :c5food: and +1 :c5production: that a watermill does plus the added benefits of +15% :c5food: and +2 :c5food: per Lake tile.

With the exception of the Coffee House (already eliminated), I think all of the UB have the same benefits as the buildings they replace plus additional benefits.

19. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

Bazaar 0 (-2) I hate to be the guy to knock out Bazaar, but the lack of synergy really does bother me. Perhaps if you got the Bazaar several techs earlier, and could thus use its ability to fund your expansion, it would be better. But coming where it does in the tech tree, I usually have at least 2 or 3 cities by the time I build these. That really minimizes its utility.
    Burial Tomb 16
    Floating Gardens 17
    Paper Maker 30
    Pyramid 41
    Satrap's Court 14 (+1) This building, on the other hand, has fantastic synergy with Persia's UA. With Golden Ages comes wars of conquest, with wars of conquest comes unhappiness. This gets built by puppets, making it just what the doctor ordered.
    Stele 30
    Wat 23

20. de_baser

de_baser Warlord

Bazaar 6
    Burial Tomb 16 (-2)
    Floating Gardens 19
    Paper Maker 29
    Pyramid 40
    Satrap's Court 14
    Stele 29 (+1)
    Wat 23

Just rolled a game with ethiopia on Immortal. Started with tradition and didn't hit any religious city states or huts, though i did get my second city early. With legalism, the Stele contributed the necessary faith to let me found the first Pantheon at 10 faith. Easy peasy! Got lucky with a faith hut that granted +60 faith after that, so i've also just founded the first religion. On a Pangea map this is looking like a world-beating religion already. Lovely!

The -2 here goes to the Burial Tomb, simply because i rarely bother with building temples till relatively late-game. I must say i enjoy conquering Egypt because of this UB (have a go at them with Askia, wads of cash ensue), but on my own in SP it doesn't really bring as much to the table as the other remaining UB's on the list, which are all rather brilliant.