1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Buildings Elimination Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mesix, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Paper Maker 21 (-3) Gold is important. And having cities with additional gold early on is nice. But is it needed? Does it give that big of an early advantage? I say no. Any large army you manage to create there are ways to get money to keep its finances up (Bullying CSes, trading with AIs, pillaging, etc.) It just doesn't do as much as the other UBs.
    Pyramid 50
    Stele 27 (+1) I view the Stele as the second best. Faith requires earlier gains to make the most use of it/gain the biggest advantages

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Paper Maker 21
    Pyramid 47
    Stele 28

I'm just being contrary, really.

3. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Paper Maker 22 (+1)
    Pyramid 47
    Stele 25 (-3)

I almost forgot to select picks for Tuesday.

It is very difficult to pick between three very good buildings. I'm going with the classic over the two new G&K buildings.

I have had many games where China was able to get off to a fast start due to the strong early :c5gold: and :c5science: from the Papermaker. I like that the puppets prioritize this building as well making it even a stronger choice for a war monger like China.

Of the two G&K buildings, I would take the Pyramid over the Stele. Both are nice and both help to get an early religion. I like the added boost to early :c5science: provided by the Pyramid.

4. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Care to elaborate?

5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Oh, I like them both. They're both aweseome. Most people will prefer the pyramids (and it would be pretty easy to convince me), but I like that the Stele is available without any research whatsoever and is a bit quicker to build multiples of because of the tradition bonus (though I'd still usually make it the old-fashioned way in the cap).

So I'm torn between the pyramids and stele, so to be Devil's Advocate I picked stele. :)

6. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I can see that. Build a Stele in the capital and take Legalism to get one for free in your next 3 cities. REX to 4 cities. Once you reach Drama and Poetry you will get a free Amphitheater in your capital to go with your three free Steles (is that the right plural?) 8 :c5faith: per turn without ever building a Shrine (or more if you did). Not a bad start.

Like I said, it is hard to choose between the final three. It will be interesting to see how the voting goes.

7. jacksone7

jacksone7 Chieftain

Paper Maker 23 (+1)
    Pyramid 47
    Stele 22 (-3)

Pyramid is tops of the three. I am giving the edge to paper maker as you can ALWAYS use more $$. Think you have enough? Liar. You can always buy units, tiles, CS and buildings. Faith from Stele is great, but not quite as many buy options.

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. People who say one of them is "bad" are just trying too hard, haha.

I also like that the Stele opens up your research a bit (as opposed to researching for pottery/shrine first as I always seem to do) so you can get a jump on Archery/resource tech (mining) if necessary. And of course it goes without saying that having your pick of the pantheons is pretty dang nice.

I just think it's closer than the score's indicating right now.

9. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

Paper Maker 23
    Pyramid 48
    Stele 19

Pyramids for the win.

And choosing between stele and PM, I chose the PM, early gold is critical, you can't have enough of it and puppets like to build this building. Early faith from stele is good, without a doubt, being able to chose pantheon as first and getting good shot at early religion, but I'll prefer the PM.

10. maurcus

maurcus Warlord

its closer as everyone is thinking "the pyramid is going to win so why bother down voting it?"

11. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

There is no question that the pyramids will win. Even a Stele lover like me would put the pyramids at first place. Second place is shaping up to be a good fight.

However, I agree with Sammy that it's nice to be able to ignore pottery if necessary. I often plant on a mining resource, so getting free gold after researching mining is a nice bonus.

12. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Paper Maker 21
    Pyramid 48
    Stele 20

Stele over Paper Maker : An early religion and the capacity of producing a lot more faith is superior to extra :c5gold:.

13. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Paper Maker 19
    Pyramid 48
    Stele 21

Paper maker's effects are good in the early game, but Stele's effects compound more through the entire game. A great building for a civ that doesn't have much else to show for itself.

14. ArnoldI

ArnoldI Black man!

Paper Maker 17
    Pyramid 48
    Stele 28

Yeah, gold is always good, but I prefer to get a religion fast, spawn some great prophets earlier than the others. And, for gold, I get Church Propriety as my belief and make lots of gold.

15. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Correcting since its now -3 per vote - not -2

Paper Maker 14
    Pyramid 48
    Stele 28

16. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Ok i didn't notice tks.

17. Awsome Sause

Awsome Sause Chieftain

I think someone made a mistake stele jumped from 21 to 28!

Paper Maker 11
    Pyramid 49
    Stele 22

Pyramid: A nice science and faith boost early in the game is huge.

Paper Maker: A good UB but the worst on left in my opinion

18. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Paper Maker 8
    Pyramid 50
    Stele 22

Pyramid +1. Free science so early is just to great
    Paper Maker -3. Great building but I prefer the huge religious bonus from the stele

19. Wabango

Wabango Chieftain

Paper Maker 5
    Pyramid 51
    Stele 22

20. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

The final three are very interesting to me. They are UB equivalents of the Monument, Shrine, and Library, which are generally the first three buildings in my capital and other early cities. For a comparison, I decided to see how they stack up not by comparing them to each other, but comparing them assuming that you build all three standard buildings. For the comparison I will assume an early population of about 6 :c5citizen: (for the purposes of the library assigning 3 :c5science: at a ratio of 1/2). I generally have all three buildings up by turn 30 or earlier.

For any other civ (without UB), the total would be: 2 :c5culture:, 1 :c5faith:, and 3 :c5science: at an upkeep cost of 3 :c5gold:.

For the Ethiopians (with a Stele replacing the Monument): 2 :c5culture:, 3 :c5faith:, and 3 :c5science: at an upkeep cost of 3 :c5gold:.

For the Mayans (with a Pyramid replacing the Shrine): 2 :c5culture:, 1 :c5faith:, and 5 :c5science: at an upkeep cost of 3 :c5gold:.

For the Chinese (with the Papermaker replacing the Library): 2 :c5culture:, 1 :c5faith:, and 3 :c5science: with no upkeep cost. The extra :c5gold: from the Papermaker essentially pays the upkeep for the other buildings.

To simplify this a bit more, the trade off is 2 :c5faith:, 2 :c5science:, or 3 :c5gold:.

Based on this, I would vote to the timeless classic, the Papermaker. An engine for your early research and economy available at Writing. It is a tough call, because the extra 2 :c5science: available early from the Pyramid may have a big impact as well. The early Pantheon and Religion from having the Stele can also be nice. Really tough with three very good buildings.

Paper Maker 6 (+1)
    Pyramid 51
    Stele 19 (-3)