1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Buildings for RT Updated Quests and Custom Sponsors - Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'CivBE - Mod Development' started by PonderThis, Feb 15, 2017.

1. PonderThis

PonderThis Chieftain

I don't know about the rest of you but I still enjoy playing BERT. Still, it could use a little variety. One of the reasons I like the Unique Buildings for RT mod is that it provides a bit of variety. Your game experience now differs a bit more than the vanilla version depending on which sponsor you play. So with your help I'd like to beef it up a bit.

One way of adding more variety is supporting custom sponsors. I've decided to start with Nuevos Aires. Suggestions for improving any of the text is appreciated.

DETAILS
    Steakhouse (Vivarium): +2 Food per Chitin, Resilin. (Updated Quests: 3)
    • Help Text: Nuevos Aires replacement for the [COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]Vivarium[ENDCOLOR].
    • Pedia Text: Nuevos Aires was known for their cattle ranches, an ability they translated to alien food animals when they left Old Earth. Their steakhouses are famous for their ability to use all of the animal, producing large amounts of high quality meats for all.
    • DQ: +1 Culture /or/ +1 Production
      • Quest Name: What's Your Beef?
      • Body: Familiarity with the food animals of this world has increased the steakhouse's ability to use every bit of their animals even including the inedible exoskeletons. This extra material can yield either cultural or production benefits.
      • Summary: The steakhouse can yield either cultural or production benefits.
      • Choice A: Sing the praises of your asadores far and wide.
      • Epilogue A: Due to your advertising efforts the entire world now knows that in Nuevos Aires, beef is what's for dinner!
      • Choice B: Put your asadores to work processing the surplus.
      • Epilogue B: Your efforts to use everything but the moo means that all of your people are looking cool in their leather jackets.

Andean Preserve (Alien Preserve): +2 Energy, +2 Capital, +4 Culture (Requires nearby Mountain Tile) (Updated Quests: 3)
    • Help Text: Nuevos Aires replacement for the [COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]Alien Preserve[ENDCOLOR].
    • Pedia Text: Nuevos Aires' nostalgic yearning for the Andes of Old Earth yields extra culture for mountain cities.
    • DQ: +1 Science /or/ +1 Health
      • Quest Name: The Bounty of the Andes
      • Body: You can concentrate on investigating the geological processes that built the mountains of this world to yield scientific benefits or examine the mountain's wildlife in order to boost your health levels.
      • Summary: Studying the mountains of this world can yield either science or health benefits.
      • Choice A: Concentrate on scientific endeavors.
      • Epilogue A: Study of the unique geology of this planet have added to your scientific knowledge of this world.
      • Choice B: Concentrate on improving health.
      • Epilogue B: Study of how this world's wildlife adapts to living in the mountains has yielded new phamacological knowledge that boosts your health levels.

MORE SUGGESTIONS
    I'd like to hear from people that have played this for suggestions on how to tweak existing entries. Some Unique Buildings feel more powerful than others but I'm not sure what kind of tweaks would be needed to balance things out.

Furthermore, I'd like suggestions for other Custom Sponsors. Remember, it has to be a BERT sponsor! Most of the ones on Steam and even here have not been updated for BERT so be sure to check.

CURRENT VERSION
    I've updated Steam to for this new version (v2).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Lord Shadow likes this.
  2. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

This actually looks quite nifty and flavourful! And I'm flattered you chose to start with Nuevos Aires. :)

The buildings are solid. Just a couple of very minor text corrections: Old Earth is always capitalized as such (not "old Earth"), and the plural of "asador" is "asadores".

3. PonderThis

PonderThis Chieftain

Thanks for looking at this, Lord Shadow.

Re: Old Earth. Man I hate inconsistent capitalization and I hate you caught me at it! ;)

I went through the whole text localization file and fixed several other cases of "old Earth" so they all read "Old Earth" now. Also updated the "asadores" plural.

PS, is there any call for language localization? I'd need help from native speakers but with help it's certainly doable.

4. Valessa

Valessa Communistress

You just wrap them into the Tag of the language in Question, instead of <Language_en_US> it's <Language_DE_DE> for example. You can find the tags for supported languages in the XML/Text/ Folder.
    But it's questionable whether Localization is really worth the effort.

You should also have a look at the Mass-Replace Functionality of the SDK (I think by default it's that other tab of the Search-Function). Only takes like 3 seconds to change all "old Earth" into "Old Earth".

5. PonderThis

PonderThis Chieftain

I think you're probably right. It would take a concerted effort on the part of a translator to not only translate what's there right now but to also keep up with updates. So yeah it's probably not worth the effort.

Since there haven't been any more comments I've decided to call this done for now so I've ticked the version up to 2 and uploaded it to Steam.

I'm still open for suggestions for new custom sponsors, so if you come late to this thread don't hesitate to post.