Unique City-States

Would you play this mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Using v9 updated from v8 and I can't upgrade my units in allied city-state territory. Does anyone else have this issue too ?
This is handled by the option that was enabled by default in VP. I only added mentioning of that in the text.
Code:
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value = 1 WHERE Name = 'GLOBAL_CS_UPGRADES';
If there's anything wrog with that, check if the flag is enabled first. If yes, then the problem lies in VP and should be mentioned on Github there.

Greetings from the other side of the world. Thank you for continuing the mode again. Your new Idea is very interesting.
In my country, I translate this mode into my language. However, some problems interfere with translation.

View attachment 630854
(TXT_KEY_CULTURED_BONUS)
(TXT_KEY_CULTURED_FRIENDLY_BONUS)

This is the problem. TXT_KEY_TEXT is translated also and I can't see City-state Bonus.

I slightly changed the lua code.
Edit : function GetCityStateTraitText is used in many different places. Instead edit function, add new function.

Lua/CityStateStatusHelper.lua, line 453~ changed to:
Code:
        -- Traits and Personalities
        local eMinorTrait = GetCityStateTraitKey(minorPlayerID)
        local eMinorPersonality = minorPlayer:GetPersonality()

local sMinorPersonalityStr = ""
        if eMinorPersonality == MinorCivPersonalityTypes.MINOR_CIV_PERSONALITY_FRIENDLY then
            sMinorPersonalityStr = "FRIENDLY"
        elseif eMinorPersonality == MinorCivPersonalityTypes.MINOR_CIV_PERSONALITY_NEUTRAL then
            sMinorPersonalityStr = "NEUTRAL"
        elseif eMinorPersonality == MinorCivPersonalityTypes.MINOR_CIV_PERSONALITY_HOSTILE then
            sMinorPersonalityStr = "HOSTILE"
        end

Lua/CityStateStatusHelper.lua, line 936~ added to:
Code:
function GetCityStateTraitKey(minorPlayerID)

local minorPlayer = Players[minorPlayerID]

if minorPlayer then
        local minorCivTraitID = minorPlayer:GetMinorCivTrait()
        if minorCivTraitID == MinorCivTraitTypes.MINOR_CIV_TRAIT_CULTURED then
            return "CULTURED"
        end
        if minorCivTraitID == MinorCivTraitTypes.MINOR_CIV_TRAIT_MILITARISTIC then
            return "MILITARISTIC"
        end
        if minorCivTraitID == MinorCivTraitTypes.MINOR_CIV_TRAIT_MARITIME then
            return "MARITIME"
        end
        if minorCivTraitID == MinorCivTraitTypes.MINOR_CIV_TRAIT_MERCANTILE then
            return "MERCANTILE"
        end
        if minorCivTraitID == MinorCivTraitTypes.MINOR_CIV_TRAIT_RELIGIOUS then
            return "RELIGIOUS"
        end
    else
        print("Lua error - invalid player index")
    end

return ""
end
View attachment 630857

Then, it's also shown well in my language.
Can you apply this change? Or please let me know if you have a Github link.
Of course I will modify the code if this makes it easier to handle. I just have lack of time. Maybe next week I will manage to look at all those stuff that gathered during my absence. Thanks for the code.

Last edited:
Quite a long time since I played with UCS, thanks for updating the mod. A few weird things happened to me:
- Geneva gifted me a missionary before I had a religion in any city. (not sure how the AI would do with it)
This shouldn't be an issue. AI will probably disband the unit. What religion was the Missionary from?

Also 50/100 thresholds feels way too much and is a huge nerf for policies/wonders benefitting from alliances and poor Bismarck, I would lower this to 40/80.
I will update this in next version.

Last edited:
Nope, I forgot to mention I set both flags for pseudo-alliance and embassy to false in the lua file. I observed the same pattern with Ormus then I stopped to check and maintained alliance status for the rest of the game only with tose two. Sadly I can't provide logs this session has now ended.
When all flags are on, does the problem persist? Or it is only present when some flag is off?
Is this only viable for Bratislava and Ormuz or also other CSs (all CSs are handled the same way)?
Has anyone encountered the same issue?

I checked that and I cannot reproduce the issue. Next time when you encounter this, save lua.log and post it here. Maybe you caused some rare lua error that stopped the file from being processed. Without log I cannot help you.

Last edited:
This shouldn't be an issue. AI will probably disband the unit. What religion was the Missionary from?

I will update this in next version.

He had none, that's why I am mentioning him, if I'm remembering correctly nobody had founded any religion at that point, at least I'm certain neither the Civs I encountered nor the CS (Geneva) had no religion.

When all flags are on, does the problem persist? Or it is only present when some flag is off?
Is this only viable for Bratislava and Ormuz or also other CSs (all CSs are handled the same way)?
Has anyone encountered the same issue?

I checked that and I cannot reproduce the issue. Next time when you encounter this, save lua.log and post it here. Maybe you caused some rare lua error that stopped the file from being processed. Without log I cannot help you.

Disregard this, I had completly forgotten to enable back the event system prior to lauching a new game, told you I didn't used UCS for a long time (more than 20 months I think). I tried again with the event system and the four no events categories all activated and everything behave as it should. Sorry for the false report.

v10 out:
Code:
New:
    - added missing Jerusalem's building (now gives 100% Religious Pressure to the City-State after adopting the religion of Major Player, and to anyone who capture this City-State);
    - added new art for Jerusalem's building (by @gwennog);
Balance:
    - Kyiv's, Milan's and Vilnius' buildings (those offering free GW slot) are now limited to 3 (like Guilds);
    - all new City-States have now own set of peronal Flavors based on their history, leaders, politics or economical status (so far they have same Flavors based on their Trait);
    - Friends/Allies threshold reduced to 40/80 from 50/100; pseudoAlly threshold still at 300;
Other:
    - Dodoma renamed to Dar es Salaam (more accurate for the ability);
    - Odenso renamed to Helsinki (cosmetic change; Odenso was always weird choice to me);
    - updated CityStateStatusHelper.lua according to notes given by @huyckkim;
    - Granada now supports Pontoon Bridges like Panama.

Attachments

• (overhaul) Unique City-States (v 10).zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 617
How is it related to the pontoon mod? Do I still need the extra mod to build pontoon?
Yup. It's only compatibility.

Hello, Muscat description tells that Lightouse, Harbor, Seaport and Drydock (if EE enabled) produce 1 Gold each but in reality they give +1% modifier to Gold in their local city. That seems a very negligeable effect, am I correct assuming the description is the intended effect ?

Allying Aberffraw I don't get 10% bonus to culture in GA, I was in GA already and now 3 turns later no any specific bonus.

Seems I already was getting that bonus, because while competing with AI my influence is 600 now, didn't read that several civs can get bonus.

Last edited:
Does this mod need urgent care and update? Is everything ok with it? I don't mean balance, but things that get broken during VP updates.

Only thing I noticed is that they usually spawn with a gold mine as luxury nearby. Not sure if that's intentional. Some variety would be appreciated, but not really a big priority I guess.

Luxuries are chosen randomly, depending on surface that is around. Each resource has some requirements and code checks for it.

Does this mod need urgent care and update? Is everything ok with it? I don't mean balance, but things that get broken during VP updates.
Disclaimer: 1) I haven't played in about 2 weeks so I might be misremembering. 2) It could be a mod conflict with City States Evolved or City-States Leaders for VP.

1) I sometimes get a gifted civilian unit without any notification of what city state it came from.
2) I sometimes get a gifted missionary before a religion is founded and also missionaries without a religion.
3) Only after I pass into the Medieval Age, Influence level doesn't seem to matter anymore, whoever has the most influence above 0 is automatically made their ally.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: 1) I haven't played in about 2 weeks so I might be misremembering. 2) It could be a mod conflict with City States Evolved or City-States Leaders for VP.

1) I sometimes get a gifted civilian unit without any notification of what city state it came from.
2) I sometimes get a gifted missionary before a religion is founded and also missionaries without a religion.
3) Only after I pass into the Medieval Age, Influence level doesn't seem to matter anymore, whoever has the most influence above 0 is automatically made their ally.
  • It's not compatible with CSE I suppose. Too many issues to resolve.
  • Civlian units and Missionaries are gifted, but I though I added notifications. I must check that.
  • I will rework Missionary conditions to check for Religion.
  • 3) is strange. Can you try without CSE? CSL adds only flavour so it is not an issue on 100%.

• It's not compatible with CSE I suppose. Too many issues to resolve.
  • Civlian units and Missionaries are gifted, but I though I added notifications. I must check that.
  • I will rework Missionary conditions to check for Religion.
  • 3) is strange. Can you try without CSE? CSL adds only flavour so it is not an issue on 100%.
Can confirm the Civilian notification issue. Got free workers from being friends with Sydney without any notifications. I was only able to figure it out because it was early in the game and Sydney was the only CS I was friends or higher with.

Also, some City States have a blank second passive. (Not sure if that's intentional.)

When I get to the UCS after I finish my current job on More Wonders update, I will surely look at that.

After meeting Balkh I immediately became their ally and got a Sphere of Influence over them, despite having only 5 influence while some AI has 180.

Is that happening with other CSs?
I didn't change the Alliance behaviour. It's still the same like in VP. Only threshold changed and is now higher.

Top Bottom