Unique City-States

Would you play this mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
someone know how to have more than 41 city states in a game?
Unless you want to delve into the DLL, you can't, because the number is set within the DLL.
The game can only fit 63+1 (Barbarian) players, that's the engine limit.

By default, 41 is reserved for CStates, 22 is reserved for Civs, and 1 for Barbarians.

Most people sacrifice CState slots for more Civ slots (so one map can have all civ in the game).
If you want to do the opposite, you have to do it manually by editing and compiling the DLL yourself. Because people only ever added more Civ slots (like 43-civ), and I never/rarely heard the opposite, so try to figure out how to add more CStates.

I have VP installed but when I try to use this mod it says I lack required dependencies (I have VP and all ticked) So I downloaded it from this post and installed it manually (kinda, simply threw the files in the mods folder, I can't find the proper instructions) The problem is that I've just literally founded my capital but I can build the buildings as if I was allied with the city-states. I certainly do not even know if they are in the game. What should I do?

20230122220636_1.jpg

This is the latest Version and it works fine for me. Have you downloaded this one?
I don't think it is Levuka. I just checked the code. You should only get some yields related to the promotion.
But, thanks to you, I noticed that I didn't add a dummy for Levuka!

New v11.2 version fixing this ready for download.
Please, check if this fixes your issue.

Hi! Sorry but, could someone explain me what does "passive bonuses" and "city-states' bonuses to major players" mean? Then there's another ability unique to each CS ('One truth' in the case of Canossa for instance). Which of these apply to the empire allied with them? The others apply to friends too? Why isn't it explained on the post? Thanks!

Hi! Sorry but, could someone explain me what does "passive bonuses" and "city-states' bonuses to major players" mean? Then there's another ability unique to each CS ('One truth' in the case of Canossa for instance). Which of these apply to the empire allied with them? The others apply to friends too? Why isn't it explained on the post? Thanks!
City-State bonuses for Major players are granted to you when you are their Ally, have an Embassy in their territory or when you have huge amount of influence (I can't remember the exact number, but it is over 300 influence probably). They are gone when all of these requirements are no longer valid. All those options are toggable in the code, so you can play with all of them or with two, or with one. They are all enabled by default.

Passive bonuses are bonuses that CS has for itself. They are made to differentiate CSs more depending on their overall personality and type, so Religious will focus more on religion and defense, while Militaristic will focus on expanse and military, and Maritime will focus on growth and bonus resources. Each CS starts with an improvent nearby dedicated for them, so Militaristic will start with a Fort, and Mercantile will start with a Town. There are more stuff added, for example Mercantile will start with additional luxury resource, while Maritime will have additional bonus resource spawned. All this things are mostly for the flavour. Unfortunately when you liberate the CS, these bonuses are no longer applied. This is the thing I have on my todo list.

As an addition, and listed on the passives list, each type of CS, and it must have a Friendly personality, will grant from time to time some units to all major players that are friends to them (f.e. Friendly Maritime CS will have 3% chance to grant a Work Boat or a Worker to all its friends each turn). But all other "passives" are not for the major players, unless you want to target a CS for particular reason, f.e. you are a warmonger and you need a CS that will support you in battle better. I would have hidden them, but it's good to know what are pros and cons of particular CS. Passives were the idea of @Hinin I tried to incorporate into VP, but it was difficult, as VP tends to cut some features for CSs, so they were not available for this feature (like reaserch). I think it's an interesting feature. This is the original thread, if you are interested:

I hope this will explain these new things to you to enjoy them more in game.

Main post doesn't belong to me. I continue a work started by @Enginseer and expanded this mod a bit, also making it compatible with latest VP releases.
@Enginseer, could you pin this message in the op? Passives seem to be a bit confusing for some players, and this reply would help them understand that new feature.

@Everyone I would like to hear from you about the "passives". How they perform? If they have an impact on the game? If those specializations really matter for you? I have no time for the testing, but I still wonder if I want to continue to support this feature, instead of commenting it out from the mod, leaving only the base stuff. I know not many of you is actually playing UCS from one or another reason, but if you have some intersting opinion to share, please, give it to me :)

Last edited:
I like the improvement passives, it makes city states feel more unique. Same thing with the extra resources. It makes them feel more "lush".

The giving units is a little janky, I will frequently have city states push me to 5/4 trade units, and they will continue to gift them. One city-state focused game I had like 22/18 trade routes.

I love this mod, please keep working on it.

City-State bonuses for Major players are granted to you when you are their Ally, have an Embassy in their territory or when you have huge amount of influence (I can't remember the exact number, but it is over 300 influence probably). They are gone when all of these requirements are no longer valid. All those options are toggable in the code, so you can play with all of them or with two, or with one. They are all enabled by default.

Passive bonuses are bonuses that CS has for itself. They are made to differentiate CSs more depending on their overall personality and type, so Religious will focus more on religion and defense, while Militaristic will focus on expanse and military, and Maritime will focus on growth and bonus resources. Each CS starts with an improvent nearby dedicated for them, so Militaristic will start with a Fort, and Mercantile will start with a Town. There are more stuff added, for example Mercantile will start with additional luxury resource, while Maritime will have additional bonus resource spawned. All this things are mostly for the flavour. Unfortunately when you liberate the CS, these bonuses are no longer applied. This is the thing I have on my todo list.

As an addition, and listed on the passives list, each type of CS, and it must have a Friendly personality, will grant from time to time some units to all major players that are friends to them (f.e. Friendly Maritime CS will have 3% chance to grant a Work Boat or a Worker to all its friends each turn). But all other "passives" are not for the major players, unless you want to target a CS for particular reason, f.e. you are a warmonger and you need a CS that will support you in battle better. I would have hidden them, but it's good to know what are pros and cons of particular CS. Passives were the idea of @Hinin I tried to incorporate into VP, but it was difficult, as VP tends to cut some features for CSs, so they were not available for this feature (like reaserch). I think it's an interesting feature. This is the original thread, if you are interested:

I hope this will explain these new things to you to enjoy them more in game.

Main post doesn't belong to me. I continue a work started by @Enginseer and expanded this mod a bit, also making it compatible with latest VP releases.
@Enginseer, could you pin this message in the op? Passives seem to be a bit confusing for some players, and this reply would help them understand that new feature.

@Everyone I would like to hear from you about the "passives". How they perform? If they have an impact on the game? If those specializations really matter for you? I have no time for the testing, but I still wonder if I want to continue to support this feature, instead of commenting it out from the mod, leaving only the base stuff. I know not many of you is actually playing UCS from one or another reason, but if you have some intersting opinion to share, please, give it to me :)
I love the passives and the explanation of them you provided is great. I love this mod and can't wait to see what else might be in store for it.

I like the improvement passives, it makes city states feel more unique. Same thing with the extra resources. It makes them feel more "lush".

The giving units is a little janky, I will frequently have city states push me to 5/4 trade units, and they will continue to gift them. One city-state focused game I had like 22/18 trade routes.

I love this mod, please keep working on it.
Do you play the latest version v11.2? I think the frequency of your gifts is to high (it is only 3% chance), and what's more, Cravans and Cargo Ships shouldn't be gifted when you cannot have a Trade Route. I fixed that when players mentioned about that problem.

To additionally verify that, you can check the TheBalanceDemandIt.lua file. If you have this in line 648:
Code:
local bIsMajorCanHaveTR = pMajorPlayer:GetNumInternationalTradeRoutesUsed() < pMajorPlayer:GetNumInternationalTradeRoutesAvailable()
then you shouldn't get those surplus trade units.

Last edited:
(it is only 3% chance)
Still too high IMO. Especially when you cumulate 10+ allies or even more as in my games I usually play with 30-33 CS and if on a diplo win I sometimes have 15-20 allies. (then I get decolonized obv but that's another story ^^ )
Unless it is not a roll for each ally but a 3% as a whole regardless of how many CS you have allied. Still very high IMO. Maybe 1.5% or a flat 1% + 0.1-0.2 points for each ally?

Still too high IMO. Especially when you cumulate 10+ allies or even more as in my games I usually play with 30-33 CS and if on a diplo win I sometimes have 15-20 allies. (then I get decolonized obv but that's another story ^^ )
Unless it is not a roll for each ally but a 3% as a whole regardless of how many CS you have allied. Still very high IMO. Maybe 1.5% or a flat 1% + 0.1-0.2 points for each ally?
What kind of map do you play? 33 CSs is an inmense number. I suppose you add them manually?

Maybe I will consider lowering that to 2% or even 1%. I don't want to complicate the code to much adding function counting Allies.

Still I think there's smth wrong in his games, because @FinMc has too much of them and above limits.

Started a game as germany. As a CS focused civilization the 3% friendly gifts feel even more op. Turn 122 standard and got 10 workers already. Its a nice gimmick , but it feels too strong. 1% would be ideal i think. Otherwise very nice job keeping this modmod up to date. Could not imagine playing without it anymore!

Edit: Just saw it already was brought up a few posts before. :)

I have been checking the last few updates and nowhere it mentions about missing heavy tribute option for cs. Is it just me?

I have been checking the last few updates and nowhere it mentions about missing heavy tribute option for cs. Is it just me?
Can you elaborate? Is it related to the latest VP? I haven't got any time for checking it.

Can you elaborate? Is it related to the latest VP? I haven't got any time for checking it.
Re-posting after 3.2.2 patch integrating with your 11.2 patch. Heavy tribute still wont show. ( without civ states leaders for vp , heavy tribute option displayed)

Edit: i didnt know i had to update civ leaders for ucs. I downloaded the v15 and it still doesnt work.

Attachments

• 20230323_224213.jpg
    20230323_224213.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230323_224202.jpg
    20230323_224202.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Heavy Tribute issue was caused by CSL. Download v16.
Here you have v11.3 with 1% chance for new units gained from CS.

Attachments

• (overhaul) Unique City States for VP (v11.3).7z
    2.8 MB · Views: 433
Heavy Tribute issue was caused by CSL. Download v16.
Here you have v11.3 with 1% chance for new units gained from CS.
Thanks for updating. Now the heavy tribute displays correctly but after the update, the games crash around 150 turns every time ( 3 games in a row)

and this is the datebase.log

[173756.046] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[173756.046] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[173759.734] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[173761.437] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[173763.562] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[173763.562] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[173764.812] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[173772.578]

Top Bottom