1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique monument art for all civilizations. Mod idea?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Baleur, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Baleur

Baleur Chieftain

This mod, Sukritact's Swahili: Al-Hasan ibn Sulaiman, really got me thinking about monument models..
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1127339491

I really LOVE the unique monument there. Honestly i think that should be a vanilla thing for ALL civs.
    It is a building that forms the central visual element of all your cities, even beyond your capital, and really helps to solidify a visual aesthetic of which particular civilization you are playing as.

Honestly cant believe why Firaxis missed the opportunity on this one, having egyptian obelisks in every civ is a real shame (i love them, but doesnt make much visual sense).
    Would really differentiate all the civs so much if the monument was a different model for all civs, or at least culture types. Imagine your Scythian civ having a mini-kurgan thing with banners, your roman monument being a marble pillar, your aztec monument being a statue of quetzalcoatl, etc.

Do you guys have any idea if it would be possible to make such a "Culturally Diverse Monuments" mod?
    Is anyone agreeing with me that it would add a lot of diversity for a generally quite simple mod?
    Making the models is the time consuming part, but shouldnt be too much effort to xml inject a unique monument replacement for each vanilla civ.

2. MagicCuboid

MagicCuboid Chieftain

This should probably be in the "Requests & Ideas" forum, but I 100% agree that this would be an excellent mod! The same thought occurred to me after playing a bit as Swahili today - the unique monument adds so much character to the city. I also wish there were a couple of cultural variants for libraries and shrines, since those buildings tend to stand out to me too. I'll try to make a list of suggestions of monuments for each culture.

EDIT: Here's what I've got so far... It's hard to find simple monuments for each culture.

China//Korea/India: Pagoda
    Japan: Torii (though having them in cities might go against their purpose)
    India/Indonesia/Khmer: Stupa/rounded off pagoda like in Angkor Wat
    Arabia: Minaret
    Rome/Greece/Macedonia/Persia: Marble column
    Scythia: Kurgan
    Norway: Wooden Idol
    Aztecs: Temple (as seen in the foreground of the pyramid)

I think the obelisk is fine for most Western European civs since it's been commonly emulated throughout history, but I'd love for a conversation to start about this!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. MagicCuboid

MagicCuboid Chieftain

So I just wanted to post that this idea may already be a thing (see the monuments on the bottom)!!

Spoiler Rise and Fall Cultural Buildings :