1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Sponsor Abilities Extended

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by Barathor, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

This isn't Civilization anymore, expand each sponsor's unique abilities and bonuses!

Differences vs. Civ:
    • There are no unique buildings, units, etc. supplementing the abilities.
    • There are no titles for each sponsors abilities so everything doesn't need to be tied to a fitting theme.
    • There are (and will be) much less sponsors in Beyond Earth than there are civs in Civilization, so abilities can be more elaborate (quality over quantity).

So, instead of having only one or two bonuses, give each sponsor a short list of abilities and bonuses to really make them unique amongst the rest of the group. Unique buildings, units, etc. are not really necessary.

Additionally, give each sponsor different, potent abilities/bonuses for each affinity that activate when the leader chooses it as their main one. This not only further makes the sponsor unique, but it also increase the replayability of them.

2. Syrkres

Syrkres Chieftain

Question - how do I assign (or make) unique units/buildings for a sponsor?

3. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Chieftain

I don't actually understand what you mean by this. Sponsor abilities are named in the Traits and they do follow a theme. Care to elaborate?

Totally agree with you there. If the list of playable groups is going to be less in BE, then naturally the differences in the Sponsors should be more divergent than Civs. I don't think that UUs work in BE due to how affinities influence units.

This would be an interesting idea, but I am baffled as to how one would make 6 different bonuses for each sponsor. That is 72 abilities for the existing sponsors alone.

4. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

Haha, DM, this post was created before the tides were risen -- actually well before the announcement too, when we were all in the dark.

Regarding the leader abilities we have now, I'm mostly satisfied with the system that was implemented, but not with the content. Leader abilities are still a bit boring and unbalanced. Some of them even have much better abilities than their own that are traded to other leaders!

My plan is to add new interesting abilities to leaders with every tier upgrade, not just increase percentages. A few leaders already display this in the game a little bit, with abilities that can't really be incremented well, so they get an additional little perk tacked on. I'm going to take that concept further. I believe other modders, like Ryika and Machiavelli, thought the same and have done this too, which makes me confident that this is a good direction to take.

- - - - - - - -

Syrkres, it's funny that you would ask that after my old post above. :) Anyway, check out CivBECivilization.xml and the tables Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides and Civilization_UnitClassOverrides -- that's how Civ5 does it. Though, there's a chance you may face further complications since the game wasn't exactly designed around doing this (for example, after setting up all the data, your unique units may always show up in the upgrade screen for all factions).

If you're looking to just add in new items without overriding anything, I don't know... you may want to dig around the player perks files, that's usually a good place to start. Or look through the Steam Workshop for mods which have done something like this and can provide good examples to work off of. I don't really have the time to look into this any further, plus I'm not really interested in it at all (no offense -- just giving you my own perspective on it. I barely have the time for my own endeavors, haha). Good luck!

5. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Chieftain

*faceplam I need to get better at reading timestamps. I feel like my points still stand, more or less.