1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique strategies for civs?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SumerianMonkey, May 24, 2019.

1. SumerianMonkey

SumerianMonkey Chieftain

Hey guys back civ 5, I remember cool little twists in which you could play some civs in interesting ways. For example Carthage could be a strong science civ with free harbours and pantheon, and Byzantine religious buildings for a tourism win. Do you guys have any less obvious strategies for civ 6?

2. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

The GS civs all have unique mechanics really.

DefiantMars and CPWimmer like this.
  3. Foulweather

Foulweather Chieftain

Try Religion with China. You can rush Stonehenge to ensure a Religion. Choose Divine Inspiraton (+4 Faith for each wonder), then rush as many wonders as possible, including Mahabodhi and Jebel Barkel, which are rushable as China.

Try Domination with Poland. Choose Crusade belief for your Religion. Declare war, build a Fort on the border with an enemy (which converts it to your Religion for +10 Combat Strength), take the city, and repeat.

Try Culture with Khmer. Choose the Reliquaries belief and sacrifice your Missionaries for Relics. Should be able to get all 24 Relics (if you miss some, buy them from whoever got them), and then bask in the 576 Tourism from Relics alone. This can also work great with Poland (who gets extra Gold, Culture, and Faith from Relics, though you'll need Mont St Michel with Poland, and you'll be sacrificing Apostles instead of Missionaries).

Try Diplomacy with Sparta/Gorgo. Your early Culture will get you to Political Philosophy faster, and Acropolises will get you the majority of city-states. Build the Apadana for early Envoys, and Orszaghaz later and watch the Favor flow in.

Try Culture with Catherine of France in a game with other culture-focused civs (Kongo, Eleanor, Peter) and steal all their Great Works.

As Phoenicia, move your capital to another continent from your main empire, build Casa de Contratación and run Colonial Taxes policy for +25% production and +40% gold in your main empire.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Hawke9, Haig, Icicle and 2 others like this.
  4. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis Chieftain

Religion with Nubia: 40% production towards holy sites with Nubian pyramid cities. Get desert Folklore for your Pantheon, put your holy sites in the middle of deserts, and surround them with Nubian pyramids for even more faith.

Religion with Canada: pick dance of the Aurora for your Pantheon. Canada makes it quite livable in tundra. No surprise wars and the fact that you're in the extreme part of the map means you don't have to worry as much for invasions.

Culture with Mapuche: Spam chemamulls everywhere for tourism. Go really strong in science so you can unlock Flight and start the tourism, also Steel so you can get the Eiffel Tower to bring up appeal. Liang's city parks increase appeal so put those around your chemamulls. You can also do a similar strategy with Persia using their paraideizas.

Domination with Gandhi: double the war weariness for your enemies, use the powerful Varu to conquer, and get as many religions into your cities for added amenities.

Haig likes this.
  5. SumerianMonkey

SumerianMonkey Chieftain

Cheers I hadn’t thought of the China one or the India domination, they both sound awesome

6. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

One of my favorites that I almost pulled off - a "soft" Domination victory with Eleanor on Pangaea. Keep everything as peaceful as possible, and capture other cities just using her special loyalty ability. The only problem is that you need to remember to turn off a Culture Victory - otherwise you are likely to accidentally win via that condition first!

I haven't gotten around to trying it again, but when I cycle back to her I will.

7. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

It can be done without turning off other victory conditions. The key? Only make a small set of great works, and move those as necessary to use Eleanor's effect. I just finished a "soft" domination victory with her, but I had to use very strict conditions (took me several tries):

Marathon speed, small map, 3 opponents, Pangaea, no victory conditions turned off. I specified Canada, England (Victoria, of course), and Australia, because they don't seem to have good defenses against loyalty. I actually won on turn 990 or so, but took the last city on turn 996.

Key strategies: build cities as fast as possible, grow cities as fast as possible, and get those Theater Square and Entertainment districts. You have to get to Golden Age and stay there the whole game; I spent one era in normal age and it worked out because Canada (my first target) ended up with a dark age, so I still had the advantage. My trifecta of mayors was Magnus (for settlers), Amani (for enemy loyalty penalty), and Reyna (for buying districts). I found playing defensively with respect to religion, military, and science was important. Australia and England attacked me a couple times, and their focus on science and military made things dicey for a bit, but by the time I had absorbed Canada, I had a good science and industry base to maintain defenses against other victory conditions. The World Congress proposal that increases growth but reduces loyalty by 5 was also clutch; I burned a lot of diplomatic points making sure that was used on my intended target. I even managed to absorb one city state even though I wasn't trying. Developing a couple experienced spies is clutch as well; knocking off mayors and reducing loyalty won about half of the cities I took. To avoid the cultural victory, just don't use your great people to make great works, except for the small amount you need to fill your theater square buildings (I found two sets--4 writing, 6 art, 2 music) was enough since the most theater squares I could get near the enemy cities before I was moving forward yet again was two.

I have a screenshot of the last few cities in England I took; Hull fell last after I had already won the domination victory. Australia was in the north central region, I started in roughly the east central area, and Canada was in the southeast corner. I fought no offensive wars, and had to defend myself against Australia and England twice.

Attached Files:

8. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

One-turn score victory as Rome.

All you have to do is settle a city.

It even works on Deity and you will get an achievement for it.

iammaxhailme likes this.
  9. Julia97

Julia97 Chieftain

Mansa Musa and domination. Buy your army with faith (and gold, which you'll have plenty off). Discount on faith purchases will probably be passed in congress, AI always votes for that. Also, get the crusade secondary belief with an apostel, which gives you +10 strength in foreign cities following your religion. Additional +5 strength with a policy card (don't remember the name).

10. Caprikel

Caprikel Chieftain

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    Science victory with Mali where you use Reyna to buy Spaceports (And campuses) instantly with her district purchasing ability, then use the Royal Society to turn purchased builders into production for spaceship projects. Also with the right Diplomatic policies and Democracy government you can have trade routes yielding over 10 production each to allies, which can yield a lot of gold as well if in a city with lots of flat desert tiles. With those trade routes to your spaceport cities, you can have a ton of production in addition to worker charges being converted into production, making for a Science victory that finishes up very quickly once you get to spaceports.

11. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

Spaceports are expensive... unless you're an aztec

12. Gloompy

Gloompy Chieftain

She's so pretty! The game im playing now has me role-playing like we're married. lol :) I give her free stuff all the time when she's in trouble even when I need it. A good husband should take good care of his dumbass AI wife who attacks Maori despite being much lower in troops.

13. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

you're whipped m8

Victoria likes this.
  14. Gloompy

Gloompy Chieftain

Rude. Ill be telling Eleanor that you are no longer invited to our Christmas in Wales dinner party.

Bosque likes this.
  15. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Canada- Domination. 4 Faces of Peace means you can focus on building settlers early game, pumping out a strong economy, and then crushing everyone with cav or curaissers.

16. Banazir864

Banazir864 Chieftain

It's not a victory type, but Mali's actually pretty good with Wonders because you usually buy the units and buildings you need instead of producing them. Your cities have to do something with their production, after all. Sure, they don't build the Wonders any faster, but there's less opportunity cost (which is often the biggest barrier to Wonders anyway), so as long as you can still beat the AI, you can wind up accumulating quite a few.

Caprikel and Kmart_Elvis like this.