Unique tile improvements

Monika TSarn

Chieftain
Does somebody know specifics about all the unique tile improvements, like the sphinx for Egypt, the Kurgan for Scythia, the Ziggurat or the Great wall ? I can't find anywhere listing details.

- At what tech are they available ?
- How are they build - like a district or with a builder ? I know the great wall is a builder, I'm not sure about the others.
- What are their exact gains and bonuses ?
- Where exactly can beach be build ?
- Do they remove tile modifiers, like marsh, flood plain or forest ?
- Can you remove them later, by building a district over them for example ?

I'm mostly wondering how good they are early game - would Egypt build a sphinx or two with its first builder on a floodplain to get an early boost to culture and religion, or is that something only useful for later when you're heading for a specific victory.

Does somebody know specifics about all the unique tile improvements, like the sphinx for Egypt, the Kurgan for Scythia, the Ziggurat or the Great wall ? I can't find anywhere listing details.

- At what tech are they available ?
- How are they build - like a district or with a builder ? I know the great wall is a builder, I'm not sure about the others.
- What are their exact gains and bonuses ?
- Where exactly can beach be build ?
- Do they remove tile modifiers, like marsh, flood plain or forest ?
- Can you remove them later, by building a district over them for example ?

I'm mostly wondering how good they are early game - would Egypt build a sphinx or two with its first builder on a floodplain to get an early boost to culture and religion, or is that something only useful for later when you're heading for a specific victory.

Take one of these and call us in the morning.

http://www.well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_cities.html

That's weird, I was on Civ analyst before writing my post and did not see the information on the requirements. Oops.
Anyway, so the Sphinx requires Craftsmanship. Which you get optimally only after spending your first builder for three improvements. To bad. Maybe you could chop some forest with the first builder, get the third improvements with the second builder, then build a sphinx. Might be a problem to find wood for that if egypt has a

The Ziggurat has no requirements. +2 science and +1 culture if next to a river. Might be worth it to build early. This seems like a fast way to get a Science boost, without having to build a science district. If it removes flood plain and marsh as I assume, you'd have to work 2 food tile for it, I am not sure that is worth it. On the other hand, those are tiles you often want to reserve for districts or wonders later. I am not sure how good an early science boost is, since a lot of techs have boosts that you want to get first.

The Kurgan requires animal husbandry, which Scythia wants to get early on anyway, on the way to horseback riding. Just faith and gold yield, I am not sure this is worth it unless the pasture adjacency bonus is really good.

You can see almost everything here: http://civilization6.vgbaike.com/改良设施

Let me try to decode the auto-translate.

Château (French unique improvement)
Unlocks at: unknown [but we could probably figure out from some French videos?]
Must be built next to a river.
+1 Culture
+2 Culture if next to a Wonder [seems this means it is not *per* wonder]
+2 Gold if next to a luxury resource [again, seems this means it is not per luxury resource]

Colossal Heads
Unlocks at: can only be built by suzerain of La Venta
Cannot be built on snow
+2 Faith
+0.5 Faith per adjacent forest and rainforest tile
At Humanism: +1 Culture

Great Wall (Chinese unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Masonry
Must be built on border of civilization
+1 Gold
Provides defensive fortification (like a fort)
[Something about hills I don't understand; this is potentially related to Tourism?]
At Castles: +? Culture when adjacent to at least two other Great Wall improvements

Kurgan (Scythian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Animal Husbandry
Must be built on flat ground
+1 Faith
+1 Gold
+1 Faith for each adjacent pasture
At Guilds: +1 Gold
At Capitalism: +1 Gold

Mission (Spanish unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Exploration
+1 Faith
+2 Faith if not on the same continent as the Capital
+1 Science if adjacent to a Campus district
At Cultural Heritage: +2 Science

Roman Fort
[As far as I can tell, this is exactly the same as a normal Fort, but can be built by the Legion, Rome's unique unit]

Sphinx (Egyptian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Craftsmanship
Cannot be built adjacent to another Sphinx
+1 Culture
+1 Faith
+2 Faith if adjacent to a Wonder

Stepwell (Indian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: unknown [this site claims that Sanitation boosts the Stepwell output, but that seems to contradict earlier info that the Stepwell unlocks at Sanitation. Personally I think it makes sense that you can build these before Sanitation, which is an Industrial Era tech.]
+1 Food
+1 Housing
+1 Food to all adjacent farms
+1 Faith if adjacent to a Holy Site
At Sanitation: +1 Housing

Ziggurat (Sumerian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: available from the beginning of the game
Cannot be built on hills
+2 Science
+1 Culture if adjacent to a river

Last edited:
You can see almost everything here: http://civilization6.vgbaike.com/改良设施

Let me try to decode the auto-translate.

Château (French unique improvement)
Unlocks at: unknown [but we could probably figure out from some French videos?]
Must be built next to a river.
+1 Culture
+2 Culture if next to a Wonder [seems this means it is not *per* wonder]
+2 Gold if next to a luxury resource [again, seems this means it is not per luxury resource]

Colossal Heads
Unlocks at: can only be built by suzerain of La Venta
Cannot be built on snow
+2 Faith
+0.5 Faith per adjacent forest and rainforest tile
At Humanism: +1 Culture

Great Wall (Chinese unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Masonry
Must be built on border of civilization
+1 Gold
Provides defensive fortification (like a fort)
[Something about hills I don't understand; this is potentially related to Tourism?]
At Castles: +? Culture when adjacent to at least two other Great Wall improvements

Kurgan (Scythian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Animal Husbandry
Must be built on flat ground
+1 Faith
+1 Gold
+1 Faith for each adjacent pasture
At Guilds: +1 Gold
At Capitalism: +1 Gold

Mission (Spanish unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Exploration
+1 Faith
+2 Faith if not on the same continent as the Capital
+1 Science if adjacent to a Campus district
At Cultural Heritage: +2 Science

Roman Fort
[As far as I can tell, this is exactly the same as a normal Fort, but can be built by the Legion, Rome's unique unit]

Sphinx (Egyptian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: Craftsmanship
Cannot be built adjacent to another Sphinx
+1 Culture
+1 Faith
+2 Faith if adjacent to a Wonder

Stepwell (Indian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: unknown [this site claims that Sanitation boosts the Stepwell output, but that seems to contradict earlier info that the Stepwell unlocks at Sanitation. Personally I think it makes sense that you can build these before Sanitation, which is an Industrial Era tech.]
+1 Food
+1 Housing
+1 Food to all adjacent farms
+1 Faith if adjacent to a Holy Site
At Sanitation: +1 Housing

Ziggurat (Sumerian unique improvement)
Unlocks at: available from the beginning of the game
Cannot be built on hills
+2 Science
+1 Culture if adjacent to a river
This is correct regarding the Stepwell. I have seen the +1 Housing at Sanitation elsewhere.

Actually, connected to that do we know what improvements, districts, wonders can be placed on features like Rainforest, Woods, Marsh?
At least for districts and wonders, it seems to work the following way: in order to build on top of a feature (including woods, rainforest, as well as bonus resources) you need to have unlocked the technology that allows harvesting/chopping of that feature. So at the very beginning of the game, you cannot build districts on top of woods, but earlier on you gain the ability to do this. Building on top of a feature increases the require production for the district/wonder.

For improvements: I am not sure if you need to first remove the feature (using a builder charge) in order to build an improvement on top of a feature, or if you can e.g. build a farm on top of woods with only a single builder charge. But there must be footage among all the Let's Plays that explains which of these options is the case.

At least for districts and wonders, it seems to work the following way: in order to build on top of a feature (including woods, rainforest, as well as bonus resources) you need to have unlocked the technology that allows harvesting/chopping of that feature. So at the very beginning of the game, you cannot build districts on top of woods, but earlier on you gain the ability to do this. Building on top of a feature increases the require production for the district/wonder.

For improvements: I am not sure if you need to first remove the feature (using a builder charge) in order to build an improvement on top of a feature, or if you can e.g. build a farm on top of woods with only a single builder charge. But there must be footage among all the Let's Plays that explains which of these options is the case.
I'm wondering more which improvements/districts/wonders let the features stay.
obviously Lumbermill on woods, and probably Camp
but we've also seen neighborhood districts on woods... so some of them retain the woods (as I'm guessing the wonders that must be on Woods/Rainforest/Marsh probably retain those)

I'm wondering more which improvements/districts/wonders let the features stay.
obviously Lumbermill on woods, and probably Camp
but we've also seen neighborhood districts on woods... so some of them retain the woods (as I'm guessing the wonders that must be on Woods/Rainforest/Marsh probably retain those)
Oh, I see: you're saying in terms of e.g. bonuses for adjacent woods, whether building a neighborhood counts as removing that woods. Interesting question.

I know that with Camps and Plantations on Rainforest you keep the campus adjacency bonus and the +1 food from the rainforest, so the feature is still there.

BUT you do not get Chichen Itza wonder bonus (+1 prod +2 culture in rainforest tiles) from Camps and Plantations on Rainforest.

Don't know if a bug or working as intended because you DO get the Petra bonus from improved desert tiles, and both wonders description says the same:

-Petra: +2 Food, +2 Gold, and +1 Production on all Desert tiles for this city (non-Floodplains). Must be built on Desert or Floodplains without Hills."

-Chichen Itza: "+2 Culture and +1 Production to all Rainforest tiles for this city. Must be built on Rainforest."

It does look like a bug. If you hover the mouse over a Camp or Plantation that was placed on Rainforest, the tooltip still has Rainforest in it.

It is worth to mention that after you research flight your culture is added to your tourims so tile improvement that provides culture will at that point also provide tourims.

Top Bottom