Unique Units Poll

In the context of RFC, which unique unit(s) are currently underpowered?

• Total voters

blizzrd

Micromanager
Further to Rhye's thread asking about Unique Units in RFC, I thought it would be worth polling on the subject.

The question: In the context of playing RFC, which unique unit(s) are underpowered?

Polls can only have 25 options, whereas there are 27 unique units for the playable civs. So I joined what I consider to be the three strongest unique units for their time period (Arabian Camel Archer, the Roman Praetorian and Greek Phalanx) together at the bottom of the list.

I voted for Numidian Cavalry, Holkan, Immortal, Jaguar, Skirmisher and Quechua.
I think most of these are obvious but the reason I chose Skirmisher as well is that for the amount of barbs and natives attacking Mali it's not strong enough. It's very hard to not lose a city unless you flip an elephant or two and maybe a camel archer. So maybe a + against melee or mounted units could help it a little, or maybe immune to first strikes (works good against camel archers).

The German Panzer isn't underpowered as such, but the bonus against armor isn't that useful imo. Considering as Germany you tend to be the first to get to tanks anyway (and you rarely, if ever, face enemy armor), maybe something like an extra movement point/use enemy roads/bonus against gunpower units (whichever balances out best) to symbolise the blitzkrieg.

why is th holkan so popular, in rfc their useless cause horses only spawn in the conquistadors and by then the're knights which rip through them

why is th holkan so popular, in rfc their useless cause horses only spawn in the conquistadors and by then the're knights which rip through them

Because this is about the worst UU

Oh God......:blush:......:wallbash:.......:suicide: Sorry

I think the Musketeer's unique feature isn't so bad in and of itself, if only it were a rifleman :/

Name it something like a Voltigeur or Imperial Guard. You wouldn't really have to tinker with the skin that much. maybe make the uniform a brighter blue with some white inserts?

I think the Camel Archer isn't good for it's place. I usually waste them on the Pikeman in Alexandria.

It even doesn't build improvements faster. It has only extra speed. If it worked faster, I would say it's one of the stronger UU's.
Really? I didn't know that. And why would you want to have just a FAST WORKER! A fast military unit would be fine, but a fast WORKER?!?

because of the extra movementpoint you can enter a jungletile and start improving/chopping it right away...... So you can argue that it does work faster.... besides that it's rubbish :p

I voted for the numidian cavalry, musketeers and immortal because well for elite soldiers (musketeers en immortals) they really aren't that elite... and the numidian cavalry isn't a match for the barbarian/native unslaught in afriica

In RFCA, there is a UU worker that builds improvements 50% faster, but has no extra movement. I realy liked that UU. I could build improve my territory very fast. But there are lots of jungle tiles around the civ that has that UU, that made the UU even stronger than they normally would be.

I found musketeers useful as France when colonising - I could cover relatively large distances with cheap musketeers and kill them pesky dog soldiers :)

I'm confused as to why someone would vote for Viking Berserkir, Samurai, and Panzer as the game's single most underpowered unit.

At the time the Berserkir appear, they're the strongest unit in Europe and suffer no naval attack or river crossing penalties and can wreak the same havok they did in real life. I suppose they go obsolete quickly, or are useless on Emperor when rivals learn to build heavy pike garrisons? Maybe the vote is due to having to the time spent researching civil service before the next batch can be built?

The Samurai are awesome, especially in the context of RFC, since they are powerful offensive units that are difficult to dislodge from cities thanks to their UP defensive bonuses.

Tanks all start with the Blitz promotion, making warfare instantly more deadly, but Panzers start with Commando and don't require oil. It also gives +25% against rifles and infantry, which makes it overpowered if anything. With rails built in Scandinavia, Germany can conquer the entire region from the Nordkapp to the Oresund in two turns with a large enough tank corps. The Commando promotion negates General Winter, and the presence of rails in Russia leads to their conquest all the quicker. Germany is the only country capable of invading Russia without massive casualties due to General Winter (except Mongolia, but Mongolia will suffer massive casualties due to suicide Keshiks being thrown at walls of pikes), and the Panzer makes it so. Panzers are probably the least weak UU in the game.

The "passive" UU (workers, passenger ships) are kind of unfair to compare to the offensive military units, since their civs aren't meant to be played as warmongers. I think the Carrack is an amazing unit since it can transport useful units long before your rivals can do so with galleons and astronomy, giving Potrugal a HUGE lead on the colonial resources game if planned well. I've never bothered with the East Indiamen much, mainly because my colonial empire has already taken form before I get them - my galleys reach South Africa and India/Australia well before Astronomy (cities from which I build more local settlers), and my caravels secure the Northern Mexico spice for me (after conquering it :)), also giving me a New World city to build settlers from - Astronomy often doesn't factor into my colonial strategies until the rest of Europe is there - I often steal it from the French on the turn they discover it (over-ocean trade and extra buildings on settlement are admittedly very useful, though). However, the East Indiamen can ferry two weak cities either vulnerable to natives or slow to grow (2 settlers and either 2 defenders or workers) or one powerful city capable of defeating natives (1 settler, 2 defenders, 1 worker) at a time, giving them a solid advantage over rival civs. Plus, they can hold their own against privateers, making them a stong assett, even if not a powerful military unit.

My vote would be on one of the New World civs units - probably the Holkan. All of them are weak, but the Aztek & Inca at least have extra city attack, giving their warriors a slight chance at recovering a city if it has been captured. When I first saw the Persian Immortal was a mounted unit rather than as a spearman/swordsman, I think I found myself saying "What? That's weak!," so I think I can make a case for them as well.

I found musketeers useful as France when colonising - I could cover relatively large distances with cheap musketeers and kill them pesky dog soldiers :)

Touche. They are handy for Europe too. You can effectively respond to any crisis on the continent as long as you have a stack of 10-12 on hand with combat 1 & 2. Since the AI isn't willing to risk the losses necessary on attacking a fortified stack in one of the several fortresses I build on France's periphery, you can be DoW'd on by Germany & Spain in 1500 (both starting to get scary at that time) and send out a picket force of 4-5 musketeers. Then fortify in the fort on the Pigs in central Germany (gotta build Strasbourg, raze Frankfurt/Mainz) and the forested tile behind the river bend in the Pyrenees and the hills south of Bordeaux (3 of these in each will do, thanks to the geography)

Now just imagine if these were Riflemen or Grenadiers? Nobody has a unique Grenadier. And nobody really builds them. The Imperial Guard that I'd like to make if I could find a good Python tutorial would have an extra movement point and an unconditional 50% against Rifles. But that's just me sounding like a spoil-sport. The musketeer is a fine unit, it just comes at an awkward time in the tech chain. Mine always get butchered something silly by conquistadors so I'm a little biased ;)

Top Bottom