1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Ways to deal with runaway AI's

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by OmniPotent42, Jul 31, 2012.

1. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I finished a game a while ago as Russia on Emporer, Continents Standard size and speed. I managed to take over my entire continent which included Ethiopia and Montezuma. However, that was the easy part. As I explored the rest of the world, I found a massive beast, devouring everything in it's path...Gandhi. (Cue horror music) He had almost finished devouring poor little Netherlands and Ottomans, and was at least an Era ahead in tech. I knew I couldn't hit him head-on, but I knew I had to deal with him somehow. Luckily I had a new ally - The Netherlands, with only 2 cities left.

So I took my 6 Cossacks and my 6 artillery and headed off to the new battlefront, and I purchased a bunch of bombers to take across the sea in some carriers. I upgraded my Cossacks to landships, and positioned my units for an attack. Luckily, Gandhi left his newly-found borders undefended, so taking the first 2 cities back was pretty easy. But then the foul beast showed his face, spewing out 5 or 6 modern armours, which I knew I wouldn't be able to survive without major casualties. But then I realized - I don't have to keep the cities I capture! I can just gift them back to the Netherlands, who Gandhi had a peace treaty with at the time. I began a sweep of the continent, taking 4 cities and immediately gifting them back to the Netherlands, so my army wasn't in danger of a counter-attack. However, my army grew weak, and I was forced to retreat back to the Mother Country. I set up a small military base in a captured city-state. I had wounded the foul beast for now.

As soon as I had returned to my country Gandhi began consuming the cities that I had just captured for the Netherlands. Completing the Autocracy tree with a 25% combat bonus, I soon had enough military power for a second invasion force, complete with GDR's, Stealth bombers, and Rocket Artillery. I invaded from the west this time, conquering city after city, and launched so many nukes I can't even keep track. Steamrolling through the country, I had finally beheaded the runaway monster. Best military-funded victory I have ever had. :D

2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

If Ghandi was an era ahead of you, why didn't he just go for the science victory? In my experience, civs that get that far ahead seldom pass up that opportunity. Did you have it set to domination-only?

3. russ555

russ555 Chieftain

Since you was on a different continent you probably had nothing to fear anyway :(

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

OmniPotent42,

Good job putting Ghandi in his place! Everyone knows he needs to be cut down before he gets :nuke:-happy. I often gift units to CS adjacent to a major AI they are fighting to force the AI to lose a war.

5. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I think he built a couple of space parts, but I took over his capital before he could build anymore. Plus, he was focused on consuming every other civ on his continent, so he was probably putting more production towards military units.

6. Scam

Scam Chieftain

Did you magically gain a lot of science? If you had GDRs, why didn't he? He had a massive tech lead... what happened?

7. Gort

Gort Emperor

The AI really doesn't try very hard to win a lot of the time. Quite often they'll happily just sit there while you build the Utopia Project, a spaceship, or they'll sit there with 30,000 gold in hand watching you buy up all the city states and win a diplomatic victory.

Quite often if you can survive the AI until bombers get researched, you can basically pick your method of victory.

8. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

He had a couple, but probably didn't have a lot of uranium. I had at least 40 uranium between my ua and fascism policy.