Unit battle system needs a big overhaul...

KAuss

Warlord
This game can probably suffice with bad AI if the battles themselves were a bit different.

Right now, units die faster than they can be made. If a unit is going to take 40 - 50 turns to make (marathon game speed) it should NOT last 3 turns max 1 vs 1 to decide a victor. This means the winner now has about 30 turns to do as they please until you can replace your lost unit.

At marathon game speed, they upped everything about the game except the time it takes to initiate a fight and end it... The fight ends in the same length as if it was on the fastest game speed... Now, if the units can be built in 5 turns, no biggy, but they need to scale the fight to match the production speed...

This makes focus fire way too powerful, since a unit will never even get to be "used" before it is killed... Imagine for a second, if a lone horseman was out in the field, horseman ends turn on a hill... Now, that step shows a warrior directly in front of him, and archer buddy right behind him... Next turn combine fire from archer and warrior kills said horseman and never really got used in anyway other than take a couple of hits... 30 turns to make, destroyed in 1/2 a turn without a chance to retaliate / retreat...

What would of been nice is if in the same situation, horseman takes initial round of attack, survives it easily but still hurt, then moves into position to flank ranged unit. Archer has to flee knowing horseman is going to have a feel day, warrior flees as well since 1v1 against horse = lose... Horse now lives to fight another day because unit composition of the opposing player is worst... Horse should win this fight mechanically because it is suppose to deal superior damage to both types of units...

Or, horseman chooses to flee because there was a spear man 5 turns away from reaching the party, if the fights actually lasts 10 turns, then the horseman despite injuring the archer / warrior combo, HAS to run because the fight lasted long enough for a spearman to help out his friends...

THIS is what this game needs so much of... You don't just implement a 1UPT system without working out the turn base fight system based on games prior...

If you guys every played Romance of the Three Kingdoms... Imagine if Lu Bu walked on his turn and next turn two weak generals say Cao Bao, and Liu Chan was in his way... Just because Lu Bu a vastly superior warrior ended his turn, his life is ended by two useless bums because they got first shot... That's what happens in Civ...

In RotK however, Lu Bu would take the hit, and chase both of them down the next turn, and every turn after that give 10x more dmg back to them. In RotK, you don't initiate a fight unless you know you can get a free hit, or you can out last the unit fighting you...

In Civ, it don't matter if it's archer vs a tank, if you have 10 long bows, the tank would not get off ONE shot... WTF is that?

The AI would do a lot better if you can give it turns to recover from the initial attack... It can then see where the weak spots are, and move units to flank properly... If the AI fought like we fought, they would line everything up the turn before they declare war, and on the same turn of declaration wipe out 1/2 your army and take the first base...

We'd all be pointing at the mechanics then instead of the AI...

Speaking of which, the announcer of war should end their turn when they declare it... Because you got to choose the positions, at least give the other player initial attack... Or fall back to form a line without losing 1/2 their army before they are even set up. Attacking first and having superior position when attacking is too much of an advantage...

This is kind of an interesting point that I had never thought of before.
In my game, I was able to defeat a bigger, more advanced civ with more units, simply by being more efficient with my units... This is partly a problem with the AI, but also an issue with the game speed... I was able to knock off a unit per turn or something... significantly faster than he could rebuild them. Eventually I was able to just walk in to his empire when he had no units left. Probably an issue with the AI not being balanced on slower game speeds...

That being said, I don't think the whole system needs an update and overhaul... but a change in the system as it works with other game speeds.
Maybe increase unit HP on Epic and Marathon?

HP needs a BIG overhaul in all game speeds... A unit should NEVER die before it can retaliate... This makes unit composition useless... This also makes it so artillery units mean game over...

If your fast moving horses cannot blitz an artillery unit, or tanks can't blitz artillery units, then you've lost the battle before it has already began...

The way Civ V draws battles out is with movement restriction... The journey to the battle last longer than the battles itself... If it takes you a whole turn to walk onto a hill with a warrior, you are going to get shot by archers without ever reaching them... If the next step is also a hill, you've just been shot 2 times... Even if the warrior does 100x dmg to said archer, it wouldn't matter... If the choke is one hex wide, that one archer is more valuable than a pack of Spartans... (From S P A R T A!)

On a different note, if the game is going to evolve to ranged attacks, they need to make range attacks "miss" because archers are not going to hit 100% of the time... At least give melee units a dang chance of closing at the current mechanics...

Actually a decent suggestion: a quick fix for this would be to raise the hit points to 20 (40 for cities), or even 30 (60 for cities). You wouldn't have to change the combat system, damage could remain the same. Sounds like a mod. . .

Dmg has no issues, however I would like to raise HP more to like 100, and see composition changes like horse vs swords be 1.5x better dmg, horse vs archer 3x more dmg...

So base dmg of 10 would mean 15 hp off sword, and 30 hp off archer... so archer would take 10 turns to kill horse with 100% hit rate, and horse will take about 3.5 turns, giving him 7 turns to close in and act more like real life when a pack of calvary would surely reach archers to disrupt the back lines... With great general modifiers and policy modifiers, we need more HP... Like I said, I want the fights to somewhat last 10 rounds because that's how long it takes to just WALK there let alone rebuild them!

City dmg needs a TON of work... Really, just take a page out of RotK 11 and their siege is perfect... In fact, that game is in off set squares sorta like hexes... The fighting in that game puts this one to shame... Hell, I think the econ is about the same LOL...

I think 10 HP works for standard, but since you can kill units so very quickly (and build them so slowly) on Marathon, there is an issue with AI and battles have a terrible snowball effect where units are overly valuable and the winner becomes unstoppable.

Well, you guys gotta remember about focus fire... If you have 10 units, the fights will still end in one turn for a single unit if focus fired... Which is fine... However, if they don't take a full volley of 10 hits to kill, the other units on the other army cannot close...

I need to find a video of a RotK 11 fight on youtube... The game runs on a huge map of china and the entire map is a battle ground like Civ V... However, other cities can easily send generals out in time to help out in the fight to make a difference... A lot of times I find myself having to wait to invade because if I stretch myself too thin, you get attacked when you're off fighting... Because fights last so long and is so tactical, you risk going to war... Until I can mass enough good generals for both offense and defense, no war will be launched... Even still, a win is not 100% because in RotK the computer knows how to focus fire and use chokes... Even if it makes a rare mistake, the ZOC is combined with the durability of units let them retreat and rejoin battle with more soldiers...

Think someone can mod this? I wouldn't mind testing it out to see if it works better... Would certainly make units last longer, more time to spread them out and swap them for healthier units.

Marathon has always always started out with major balance issues in Civ games.
They always end up patching up the majority of the glaring problems though.

tl;dr version
1) HP needs to be increased without healing being increased.
2) All border bonuses (extra healing,+combat policies etc) should be inactive near a city taken in the last 10 turns or so.
3) AI needs to stop building nothing but pikemen.

I agree that HP needs to be increased. The reasoning is that units die too fast and there is no attrition because healing is ridiculous even at 1 hp per turn. No matter how poorly the AI uses his units you should still die if he has far more military power.

Another big problem is you can waltz into someones empire take a city then just plop down your little army around it and get the highly useful in border bonuses while you heal to full and slaughter anything that attacks.

The AI needs to form battles lines... However, the game can make up for it like I said...

RotK is a great example... They might not always field the best units, or the best general combinations... However, whatever they do field, because they use chokes / fire tactic / archer support / focus fire, so well, that they usually force you to retreat because you either run out of food, run out of soldiers, or they have enough reinforcement that it clogs the map at the choke...

I think Civ can benefit from longer battles because it can bring the same problems for the player... Other civs can attack when you're away forcing a retreat, the map can be cluttered forcing you to pick multiple targets... Thinning the fight at a choke giving home field advantage...

The game can also use a "sentry tower" improvment or the likes that gives you vision beyond your borders too... This way you can see maybe 5 hexes away and prepare for on coming warfare...

I "think" the map can use less hills sporadically too... Right now the biggest enemy is movement... With walking through such clustered cities, civilians get in the way too often...

Maybe they should make the city border limit higher before you can put down another city... This way there is "map space" to fight during a siege, instead of packing 10 units between three cities...

I once fought England on a peninsula with a 2 wide x 3 long hill pass... Behind it was roughly a 9x9 box, with a mountain on one side and hills on the other... There was a total of 3 cities there, and about 10+ longbows... This fight was just stupid... I had to finally sneak a destroyer behind their borders to get to the arctic just to land a couple of calvary / archers of my own to push on both fronts...

STILL, it took the help of the neighboring civ with a $150 bribe to go to war (yeah really, $150....) To get their bowman out of position for me to finally take it down...

The tightness of cities make the tactical fighting pretty messy...

Map is just too small for this kind of strategy and 1upt. I often find my cavalry have no room to use its speed to flank enemy.

But i agree to the idea of incrased hp. Cant wait for mod to test it out. Maybe my scouts will have better chance of surviving than it is now.

I unno, if you can't flank enemies, it depends on the map you play on... If you play fractal and or islands, it might be hard and you're better off using ships anyways...

On pangea maps, I can flank quite nicely... I usually have longswords out front to take the hit standing in some rought spot, archers / catapults 2nd row, and my horses 3rd row... With their 4 moves and maybe roads to aid them, they can blitz up to 8 steps... I'm using Iroquois right now and they can even blitz their own forests / jungles!

I'd say there were a FEW fights where I felt tactically satisfied, however they just last 1 - 3 turns... Which is a huge let down...

I love it when they give me a map with rocky shorelines and an open center... It's like the long journey out of the mountains, you reset your train of slow units into a fighting wall formation, and the computer is a turn away from knowing what hit them...

You declare, and they rush you with their calvary to kill your longswords, only to get barraged by arrows and the charging knights behind them... Then the lumbering catapults show up from the clouds of smoke to lay waste to their castle... Then the next one, and the next one in rapid succession cause once you kill their army, it takes about 100 turns for them to rebuild it...

I think the HP change has merit. I think this is true for epic or marathon games.

However, I think your thread title is misleading, and as such you probably are missing a lot of the more serious posters.

The system can use more than just HP, but I think HP will cover a lot of the time line flaws presented right now in marathon games...

Changing HP means you have to change XP gain too... Cause you would have long wars and long fights...

Also, they need to change XP gain for city -1 bombing your healing unit...

So yeah, the overhaul is more than just HP... It's 3/4 of the ice burg tho...

If you increase the HP you also need to slow units down. Otherwise you can just position a bunch of scouts at your border to stop any enemy advance because he will just have to wait forever till he kills them (especially if they are in a forrest) while your main force rolls in. I'd say increase the hp a bit and reduce unit production time/upkeep

Who said scouts have to take 10 hits? Why not make scouts fragile...

Still if you waste gpt on scouts in your army by time you have longswords, then you deserve to get steamrolled...

And the point is for a tactic like that to WORK anyways... Right now there is no delay tactic, you lose the first turn, you lose the game... You cannot hold off a fight long enough to produce counter units...

In reality, the unit build time should be the same as normal game, I don't know why they upped it... A Marathon game is suppose to let you play a certain era longer, not delay everything...

You are suppose to have like 30 fights with medieval units instead of 3 before moving on to muskets...

Cheaper units and more hp for them in long games should make interesting battles and maybe AI would be more competitive also. But i would add more hp to cities with upgrades like walls so they really need to be sieged for a little while, making improvements valuable, and lessen they hp if they have no upgrades at all. It will give enemy time to pillage like in reality and later give workers something to do while repairing lost tiles.
And maybe allow cities to fire on enemy after building improvement like archer towers (upgradable to cannon and rocket) not just right after they are founded.
Some cities with high upgrades should not be conquerable without siege weapons at all imo (early in game).
And i would also add negative bonus for cavalry while taking cities because right now they look like they are best for taking them(which with walls are kinda wierd - are they climbing on walls or what, jump past them?)

Top Bottom