Unit can't take city ???

AK47

Retired Wonder Architect
Hope someone know the answer to this one.

A guy is playing my mod (TML) and is about to capture an ungarded city with a Prophet, except the Prophet won't move in the city.
Prophet settings are 1/1/2, hidden nationality, radar, detect invisible.
There's no error message or anything; he just won't go in the city.
The mod is run under Conquests, in a .biq.

When I made the mod, I regularly had AI Prophets taking my ungarded cities. So I don't get it. I was playing under PTW, in a .bix. Could that matter ?

If the Prophet has "worker strength 100" can that have any influence on this behaviour? (Prophet can also create colony in my mod)

I must be missing something somewhere, but no clue...

Thanks.
AK.

Just tested it myself, and you're damn right :(
I have identical working unit in my mod, and in PTW version it was possible to grab enemy cities with it, without causing war (and AI was doing it quite often!). Now the same cultist just won't enter the city :mad:
ps. cultist has 0 worker strength, doesn't matter. it just used to work and now doesn't.

do you think this is directly related to it having "hidden nationality" ?

It definitely is, AK. I had the very same problem when trying to create a spy unit having the same stats. Turned out it couldn't enter (or even attack) an enemy city unless I switched off "hidden nationality". :cry:

I remember something about hidden nationality units being unable to capture cities in C3C. This was an intended feature IIRC.

I seem to recall certain scenario creators calling for just such a restriction. The point would be allowing guerilla-type units to wreck havoc with improvements and units, without one country conquering another without going to war.

Try declaring war - I've heard the restriction only applies in peacetime.

It makes perfect sense.
A city conquered by a hidden nationality unit shouldn't be your city..

The AI can certainly capture your unguarded cities with hidden nationality units though (As happened playing embyodead's mod recently)... and I doubt you'd ever get in the situation of finding an unguarded AI city so it doesn't apply the other way...

The hidden nationality perk is supposed to imitate "piracy", therefore it makes sense for such units not to be able to conquer cities, IMHO.

But in the way we used them (as prophets, cultists, spies) it was pretty reasonable to capture cities :(

Also consider simply that taking a city with ANY unit (hidden nationality or not) would by definition reveal the ownership of the unit -- i.e., it's no secret who owns the captured city, so being able to capture cities arguably goes against the spirit of the intent of hidden nationality units.

-Oz

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
Try declaring war - I've heard the restriction only applies in peacetime.

This is very true. As soon as I declared war, the prophet destroyed the empty city... !

AK.

They have to add something to keep the AI from destroying cities. They also have to add something for your problem, like a checkbox to enable/disable whether a unit can capture a city or not (which only becomes available when the unit is marked as hidden nationality).

Wishful thinking.

yep, yet another case of sumthing done to the game without it being thought all the way through....

(mutters sumthing under his breath about Firaxis)

Taking a city with a hidden identity unit would only defeat the purpose of having a hidden identity unit in the first place. Anyone could figure out the HI unit's owner afterwards anyway.

But the point is is that it's a "legal" way of taking the city, like initiating propaganda against it. Sure in multiplayer the human player would be able to work out just who had used pirate units to capture a city and probably demand reparations, but there's equally nothing stopping them from doing the same if a city converts to another player through culture or propaganda. If having a hidden nationality unit take a city defeats the purpose of having hidden nationality units, then the purpose of propaganda and cultural shifts are just as purposeless.

I use hidden nationalty units to destroy my alley's country side. If they could take cities, I would have to use strategy:crazyeye: .

Something's wrong with this...

I was just testing some stuff and discovered that, although I can not attack the AIs city with a unit with hidden nationality, the AI can take my city with his :(

Does anyone know how to report this to the developers in a way that it will surely be read and checked ?

AK.

Originally posted by AK47
Something's wrong with this...

I was just testing some stuff and discovered that, although I can not attack the AIs city with a unit with hidden nationality, the AI can take my city with his :(

Does anyone know how to report this to the developers in a way that it will surely be read and checked ?

AK.

hmm interesting... you know, that is exactly how it was in older PTW version. Later in patch they fixed it, and now... :rolleyes:
So it's not a change to accomodiate new conquests, but another bug come-back :rolleyes:

The best way to report is in C3C forums, in Travis' thread.

Top Bottom