1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit command buttons missing

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Amask, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

Hello

I'm having all sorts of randomly occurring issues with the panel where unit commands are.

The only one that happens always is that there's never a "Wake unit" button (little clock icon).

The following happened at random times:
    1. A unit was eligible for promotion and was standing on a citadel. The icon to build a citadel appeared in the list of promotion buttons.
    2. Button to disband worker randomly appears/disappears when I move to certain tiles, all of which are within my borders and have been for a while. I don't see a pattern to it.
    3. Great writer suddenly doesn't have button to create great work. He is in a city, and there are dozens of slots left, including in the city where he's in. Previous great writers had the button. Spawned more writers with IGE and none of them have the button either, but GAs and GMs do.

This last one is a game breaker for me.

I'm playing version 9-8 from last year.
    The issue with the missing "wake unit" button occurs in the latest version too.
    I haven't actually played the latest version yet (besides just a quick test to see if the issues are gone), but I assume the rest of the issues will remain too.
    I've never had any of them occur in any previous versions, and I've been playing this since 2015.
    So it seems to me like they're all related.

Today I installed civ V on a new computer that has never had civ installed.
    Before even running the game I installed latest version of VP.
    Started a new VP game with no other mods.
    Fortified my starting units, and there's no "wake unit" button.

I previously made a github issue about this, but it was closed because the devs couldn't reproduce it.
    I'm at a complete loss.

2. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Starting with number 3, this could be the result that the maximum number of great works has already been used. There are only so many allowed in the game.

Wake button... I got to admit I've played this game thousands of hours and if that button ever was there, I've never used it lol I know I would use a button like that in civ4. But this has the Alert button which basically fortifies and automatically wakes them up when a unit approaches

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    vyyt likes this.
  3. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Wasn't the wake button removed? I think units are automatically considered fortified when not moving from a tile and they automatically wake up when in danger.

I cant check in-game right now, but this is how I remember it.

Bryan317 likes this.
  4. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

I'm guessing that's the case. I remember it may have existed. But "Alert" does what you want. Even when they wake up they don't lose their fortified status.

I'm hoping the other issues are just misunderstandings as well

vyyt likes this.
  5. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

Any idea what the number is? I'm only in late renaissance, so I'd be surprised if this is it. Playing with 15 civs on a large map (so 5 extra civs added).

I have several screenshots of whacky stuff happening.

Citadel as promotion:
    Spoiler :

upload_2021-6-14_18-53-22.png

Disband button magically disappearing when worker (who already moved a bit this turn) moves to a different tile (2NE):
    Spoiler :

upload_2021-6-14_18-54-2.png

upload_2021-6-14_18-54-22.png

Tooltip on the upgrade button changes to whatever the last button that I hovered over was:
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

6. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

If the mystery of the great writer is resolved then I don't really care about the other things.
    Here he is, unable to leave his eternal mark on the Polynesian culture:
    Spoiler :

upload_2021-6-14_19-5-46.png

As far as the "wake unit" button goes, can someone confirm if it is indeed gone from the game?
    I don't recall seeing anything about it being removed in any change logs, and I searched! Maybe I'm just blind though...
    But when they closed my github issue they didn't mention anything about it being removed (just said "can't reproduce"), so I don't know.

As far as the usefulness of the button goes, there is a case to be made.
    Say I'm looking over my empire trying to find the best place for a new academy.
    Then I see a stack of missionaries that I fortified until some civ gives me open borders or whatever.
    Let's say I completely forgot about them.
    In that moment I want to wake those units up, but not distract myself from what I was originally doing, which is looking over my empire for unrelated reasons.
    If the units are woken up then the game will return me to them before the end of the turn, and I won't forget.
    This is just one of many possible examples.
    Alert is not the same thing at all.

vyyt likes this.
  7. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

I don't know the number of great writings off hand, but I can almost guarantee that's what's going on there. VP has changed this dynamic quite a bit because great people are easier to generate. It generally is what you want to keep things in balance unless you want to add an additional mod to break this limit.

Ok The citadel thing I have actually seen. Whether it's actually an oversight or something that just simply can't be fixed, I'm not sure. But it is inconsequential because all it does is show the improvement but you can't actually click that button. There may even be other cases than citadels where I've noticed this. Bottom line, it's nothing to worry about.

The worker issue, I'm not exactly sure. Besides maybe in that situation did you expend too much of its movement points?? Not sure, but if you end your turn can you then disband that unit?

8. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

He actually started on the tile that he's on in the second screenshot (the jade tile). I moved him 2SW, then back 2NE.
    The only tile on which he had a disband button was the one in the second screenshot.
    Makes 0 sense to me, but not a game breaking issue by any means.

I'll dig around for the great work limit. Still seems pretty strange to me. If I already can't make great works in late renaissance, does that mean that people that play with 43 civs run out of works even earlier???

9. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

It does in fact mean that they will run out. But the idea is to take over other civs and loot thier great works. And yes the one that seems to run out very quickly is the the great works of writing. In my last game of 16 players I ran out at about the time you're talking about. There are very good arguments for there to be more great works of writing. The subject is actually been brought up many times to make changes in VP itself. It's never made official changes but many people enjoy the mod mod that changes this limit.

10. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

I just tested it and you're right.
    I spawned like 50 great artists with IGE. The ones with names can create great works. After some point they no longer have names; they're just called "Great Artist", same as my writer is just a "Great Writer".
    The nameless ones can't create great works, even if I disband some of the named ones.
    Gave up on finding the actual number though.

I think I'll find me that mod you mentioned. Not being able to create great works this early is just no fun (when going for a CV no less!). I only made like two or three so far.
    I was vaguely aware of this phenomenon but never saw it occur this early. I also often deliberately delay great writers in particular so I can pop them for more culture later, like during the world fair.

Thanks for your input. My game is saved!
    Still want my "wake unit" button but I suppose I can survive without it. If it was in fact removed then I'm really really not a fan of that change. Not like it was hurting anyone, was it?

Rest of the issues I don't really care about. I just thought something really screwy was going on with my game.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  11. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Hope you find what works for you. The reason the limit on great works was never changed is because they are no longer the sole tactic to achieve cultural victory. For instance zoos are quite awesome lately.

I'll add as a final comment that there is a possibility that I've seen this disband worker issue myself. I may have even noticed it in multiple situations where I was outside of my territory as well as inside. There were times I assumed there were rules against disbanding outside of my territory or something.

I used to have a lot of strange glitches in the past before I started manually deleting my cache file.

Edit: FYI all you have to do is click on a unit and it is now "Awake" However I do use the option to not automatically cycle units and not to automatically end the turn. Some may find this more tedious but I prefer to cycle through my units manually. But by doing this whenever I just click on the unit it will prompt me to do something with them before ending the turn again.

Hopefully you follow what I'm saying here because basically the game does exactly what you're wanting it to do with the awake button by simply clicking the unit to wake them up. Now as you cycle through other units that unit is still awake and will not end the turn until you give it a command

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  12. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

I tried this in the latest version (but with auto cycling on), and it doesn't work for me. Clicking a fortified unit and then doing something else does NOT return me to the unit at all.
    In the old version I tried it with auto cycling on and off, and neither works.

As far as not ending the turn automatically, I frankly don't see any other way. I'd be tearing my hair out every time the turn auto ends when I forgot to do something important. Having to click it myself gives me a chance to do a quick mental check.

13. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

You can click on the unit then right click the tile it's on (so it "moves" on spot).

14. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Ok officially firing game up... Lol I know it's just minor a thing but I know I do this somehow. Now I'm determined to figure this out.

15. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Ok so this doesn't work exactly either. You may think it does at first (flip between 2 units) but if you do this on a series of units it will not recycle through them.

*Edit - Got it! What you want to do is choose move and then LEFT click on the spot the unit is on. This will make any status disappear that is right next to the movement points. Now this unit doesn't have a command and is waiting for one. Still not as good as an actual wake button... But this sort of does what you're wanting

As far as just a general recommendation / opinion, I never use Fortify. I only use Alert because you never want to accidentally forget about a unit. There's only a few examples where a unit maybe in a spot of attrition where I know he won't be killed and he can just continually fortify. Some things are just the way this game is, and the map gets so large you simply can't remember it all. For instance I never put my generals to sleep either even though they'll probably sit in the same spot for 10 turns. Because I know I'll end up forgetting about them and leaving them behind lol

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  16. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

Your last method worked for me, woohoo! Bit clunkier than my precious "wake unit" button but what can you do...

17. InkAxis

InkAxis Prince

What about the MoreGP? VP added a lot more GP so they should no longer run out. @Asterix Rage MoreGP is part of base CP now right? Or is there still a limit despite that?

18. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Unless something is different from current stable to betas. But it's always been the same as vanilla to my knowledge. Typically resulting in Great WORKS OF WRITING running out by Industrial Age. I've seen this discussion many times in the past. Now, if you keep low amount of players you may never notice. Works of Art and Music usually won't run out due to a few circumstances. You get them later and players start getting eliminated.

See above EDIT... Great works run out not great people

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  19. InkAxis

InkAxis Prince

More GP certainly added new GW, including writing, I have heard it in my game. Could just be an old stable version or something.

20. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

I think when you're referring to more GP, that's just adding more names into the game. I mean there was never a cap on actual GP. And there is still a cap on great works just as there always has been :)