Unit formation by era

daviscor

Prince
What is your usual unit formation by era?

Normally as few as possible until I need them for a war.

I post a ranged unit in border cities, explorers (scouts, caravels) are outside the borders. I leave a weak unit out on likely invasion routes.

For invasions, you need to check the city strength vs. your units and bring enough to finish the job quickly.

Well it depends on what civ you're using. Can you spell some of your favorite civ?
On other hands, i usually get 4warrior and 2 archers at ancient. Later 6longswords 2crbows 2knights 4cannons/trebs upgraded asap. Lategame i will station 1figther and 2bomber in every city if the game haven't been concluded yet. But it's very situational, coz on higher diff, you'll need to constantly checked the military demographic and stay at median to prevent DOW.

Not sure what exactly the question is asking. I play King and sometimes Emperor. So I'll give my unit strategy for that.

I like to have 4 swordsmen (or 1 warrior per city + 1 extra and then upgrade them) early on. I like to build at least one ranged unit like an archer or mounted archer, or both. And 2 to 4 catapults. You can take over a nearby city by turn 60 or so even with just 4 swordsmen and one catapult.

So 4 front line melee units, 4 catapult type units and 1 or 2 other kind of ranged units. And I tend to have several such troops. Upgrade them through the eras.

For cities, look at the defense. You need melee units as strong as the city's defense before going in.

As for strategy, I don't keep all my melee units in front of catapults/cannons/artillery, etc. like most people do. I usually only keep one or two melee units up front for sight. With a mounted unit, you can move up front, use your cannons/artillery, and then move the mounted unit back.

So I'd say I upgrade catapults, trebuchet, cannon, artillery (this wins wars), and rocket artillery (this is an awesome unit). For melee units, I'd guess it goes warrior, swordsmen, longswordsmen, Riflemen, infantry, mechanized infantry. All of these are quite strong. Like I said, 4 upgraded catapults and 4 upgraded warriors and one or two ranged or mounted units no matter the era. I do use other units though. But I hate pikemen. dunno. They annoy me. In fact, I take them out with my mounted units and they're supposed to be weak against them. Strange.

Oh, tanks and bombers at the end as well. Stealth if you can (basically game over at that point). And nukes. I think they did a fantastic job with the animation and sound on that one. Actually, sometimes I just go for the win and don't go for nukes.

Still, nothing beats giant death robots. Those are just plain fun.

One last thing. I sometimes put a strong ship in my coastal cities that are near a border for extra defense. They stack with a land unit in the city along with a GG. So your city can actually attack three times from that one tile.

More i advance in eras, more i build ranged units. It's not rare to me to have 10+ artillery units(when i reach industrial) and only have like 5-6 riflemen for example.

Not sure what exactly the question is asking. I play King and sometimes Emperor. So I'll give my unit strategy for that.

I like to have 4 swordsmen (or 1 warrior per city + 1 extra and then upgrade them) early on. I like to build at least one ranged unit like an archer or mounted archer, or both. And 2 to 4 catapults. You can take over a nearby city by turn 60 or so even with just 4 swordsmen and one catapult.

So 4 front line melee units, 4 catapult type units and 1 or 2 other kind of ranged units. And I tend to have several such troops. Upgrade them through the eras.

For cities, look at the defense. You need melee units as strong as the city's defense before going in.

As for strategy, I don't keep all my melee units in front of catapults/cannons/artillery, etc. like most people do. I usually only keep one or two melee units up front for sight. With a mounted unit, you can move up front, use your cannons/artillery, and then move the mounted unit back.

So I'd say I upgrade catapults, trebuchet, cannon, artillery (this wins wars), and rocket artillery (this is an awesome unit). For melee units, I'd guess it goes warrior, swordsmen, longswordsmen, Riflemen, infantry, mechanized infantry. All of these are quite strong. Like I said, 4 upgraded catapults and 4 upgraded warriors and one or two ranged or mounted units no matter the era. I do use other units though. But I hate pikemen. dunno. They annoy me. In fact, I take them out with my mounted units and they're supposed to be weak against them. Strange.

Oh, tanks and bombers at the end as well. Stealth if you can (basically game over at that point). And nukes. I think they did a fantastic job with the animation and sound on that one. Actually, sometimes I just go for the win and don't go for nukes.

Still, nothing beats giant death robots. Those are just plain fun.

One last thing. I sometimes put a strong ship in my coastal cities that are near a border for extra defense. They stack with a land unit in the city along with a GG. So your city can actually attack three times from that one tile.

That's a pretty good strategy. Thanks.

Well it depends on what civ you're using. Can you spell some of your favorite civ?
On other hands, i usually get 4warrior and 2 archers at ancient. Later 6longswords 2crbows 2knights 4cannons/trebs upgraded asap. Lategame i will station 1figther and 2bomber in every city if the game haven't been concluded yet. But it's very situational, coz on higher diff, you'll need to constantly checked the military demographic and stay at median to prevent DOW.

I usually play with Mongolia or Japan.

Ok, as japan, i will stick to the basic, maybe if more than 6 source of iron is i'll add some samurai(s) later. When you got rifles, i'll spam cannon. Zero is a bonus on later stages, and GDR with bushido are the enemies nightmares.
Next, as mongol, my formation will be totally changed, i'll start spear and chariot, later upgrade to keshiks, just remember to always bring one HORSEMAN to capture cities, i sometimes bring 2 pikes to protect my flanks from suicidal knights an a scout preferably with extra sight to recon so it will be 4-6 keshiks, 1horse, 2-4 pikes(upgrade later when have money... Upgrading keshiks and rush horseman usually drain my treasury), and always 2 scout start as mongol. For modern... Well... Just how many mongol games reach the modern, really?

Ok, as japan, i will stick to the basic, maybe if more than 6 source of iron is i'll add some samurai(s) later. When you got rifles, i'll spam cannon. Zero is a bonus on later stages, and GDR with bushido are the enemies nightmares.
Next, as mongol, my formation will be totally changed, i'll start spear and chariot, later upgrade to keshiks, just remember to always bring one HORSEMAN to capture cities, i sometimes bring 2 pikes to protect my flanks from suicidal knights an a scout preferably with extra sight to recon so it will be 4-6 keshiks, 1horse, 2-4 pikes(upgrade later when have money... Upgrading keshiks and rush horseman usually drain my treasury), and always 2 scout start as mongol. For modern... Well... Just how many mongol games reach the modern, really?

Nice strategy you've got there. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom