Unit litter

bal_rob

Chieftain
Hi there, long time lurker here. I've been playing Civ since the first one on Amiga!

Just a quick question.

During peace time. Units. Do you just have to leave them "littered" around your territory ready to be used during the next combat? Or is there some way to store them?

I know the idea of Civ V is to produce smaller, better armies, which I like - but in peace time it does seem a little "messy"

Thanks

I garrison some in cities if I have the policy that gives +1 happiness per city garrison, otherwise I array them 3-4 tiles out from the border of my next most likely enemy (not too close to trigger the AI's "I see you're massing near my border" response) or just leave them wherever they stopped during the last war and put them on alert if I don't anticipate another fight soon (or I'm still on the border of someone I'm going to probably continue hostilities with).

Another thing I've been trying lately to cut down on unit costs is to delete almost all my workers in the mid-industrial era once my railroad network is up, and just leave 2-3 sleeping to improve modern resources like aluminum and uranium when they pop up. I had like 12 workers just sitting around in my current game, and disbanding them did a lot for my economy.

You can garrision multiple units in a city? How?

I have to move them out once they have been built....

yeah I hate the unit litter. I love the 1upt combat system but they look really dumb just hanging out all over the map like that and worse still they obscure your view of the map.

You can garrision multiple units in a city? How?

I have to move them out once they have been built....

iirc you can garrison one unit in a city (which increases the City Defense Strength) and then you can also move one additional unit into the city hex...thats it:)

should also say that if the city then builds a new unti then the parked unit needs to move out before it can be completed

iirc you can garrison one unit in a city (which increases the City Defense Strength) and then you can also move one additional unit into the city hex...thats it:)

should also say that if the city then builds a new unti then the parked unit needs to move out before it can be completed

Thanks TM Moot.

I hadn't figured you could have two units in a city, but actually thinking about it, I did have a Thieme unit with a archer in a city.

So, its basically as I thought - you have to have "unit litter"? Shame.

Are you sure? Production still completes, but then you have to move one of both units out.

They need a "stand down" sort of option that would make the unit art invisible and the strategic icon smaller. That way you could find them, click on them and summon them back for orders but they wouldn't obscure the map.

I garrison some in cities if I have the policy that gives +1 happiness per city garrison, otherwise I array them 3-4 tiles out from the border of my next most likely enemy (not too close to trigger the AI's "I see you're massing near my border" response) or just leave them wherever they stopped during the last war and put them on alert if I don't anticipate another fight soon (or I'm still on the border of someone I'm going to probably continue hostilities with).

This ^^

Always think hard about whether you really need the units, don't forget that each one is sitting there draining your precious gold, and check the economy overview often! Maintenance is really important in this game, both for buildings and units.

In peace times I keep roughly one military unit for each city I control. Workers should never be put on sleep, delete them instead. Once I'm done with most of the upgrading and chopping I only keep 3-4 workers.

Yup, units scattered all over my map :) Just when I thought the maps were going to end up looking nice and tidy with the no road spamming thing....

Top Bottom