Unit Maintenance

nick-brown

Chieftain
All

So, done the game on Apollo with boring old affinity victories, time for a domination victory, I thought. To spice it up further and because it's a favourite of mine, we'll make it a one city challenge (just founding one - obviously you have to keep the capitals). Excellent - let's do this!

Good starting spot - check. Lots of cash - check. Lots of OP units built just prior to an affinity upgrade - check. Extra bonus marks for 3 (decent) additional alien units popped out of huts. Job's a good un!

Except it isn't. Now I have a very small red exclamation mark at the top of the screen and my production is pants. Hovering over suggests I look at the Military Overview where it seems my single city with 10 pop (very early game) can only support a few units. But I have stacks of cash? And then the penny drops - there's some other stat to factor in :(

So, questions:

a) The numbers in MO make very little sense and I can't see the correlation between them. I'm afraid that I don't have them to hand but I wondered whether anyone else can shed light on them.
b) They did look slightly like they're partly dependent on unit upgrades (the numbers changed when my affinity went up) - can anyone confirm this?
c) If so, does this mean that it's better to have a few mega units rather than lots of rubbish ones?
d) How to increase this stat (particularly early game)?
e) Do popped alien units have any sort of maintenance cost?
f) Does all of this mean that Domination/Single (Founded) City is unfeasible as a strategy (unless you go the Planet Carver route)?

I probably have a few other questions but this will do for now ;-)

Ta in advance

N

ps Apologies if there's another thread on this elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

Oh, if anyone's interested, I had 10 units (4 marines, 3 gunners, 2 drones and 1 raptor bug), 10 pop and around 800 cash (losing 3 per turn). My production is reduced by 70% due to unit maintenance. This is around turn 60ish. Don't know if any techs are pertinent to the discussion.

N

Support limit is different from unit maintenance.
Basically it's based on your number of total pop and every unit over that limit will reduce production by 10%.

It was same in civ 5.

Support limit is different from unit maintenance.
Basically it's based on your number of total pop and every unit over that limit will reduce production by 10%.

It was same in civ 5.

I had 10 pop and it was saying that I was supporting 11 units (might have built another gunner before I realised what was going on - I also had 3 explorers) but could only support 4 hence -70% (7 * -10%).

I'm happy to take your word that it's the same as 5 but then I'm very confused as to how I could never have run into this situation before.

N

The main difference bwtween Civ5 and BtE is that in Civ5 civilian units did not cost support points. While in BtE, just traders, workers and satelites will eat more support then military units.

In Civ5, I was only able to have problem with support with Venice. At least untilI got some puppets.

Anyway, use military screen to track current support limit.

It factors number of cities and population.

Here is how is unit support value calculated

Base: 5
Per city: 2
Per population: 0.5

So, if you have just a single pop. 10 city, then your support would be:
5+2+(0.5*5)= 9.5
Which i think is rounded down to 9.

Ok cheers @player1 fanatic, this is starting to make sense. Just playing now, I confirmed what I hadn't realised. namely the cost of civilians and satellites - in that game, in addition to the 3 explorers I had 2 workers and a solar collector which eats most of my allowance before I've even got going. Sounds like it's time for the explorers to retire! ;-)

Top Bottom