1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit moves to impossible position

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by VoxDei, Nov 6, 2005.

1. VoxDei

VoxDei Chieftain

I'm afraid I don't have any steps to reproduce this bug (though I can provide a saved game or two if you want one), but the screenshot attached wasn't faked or set up in any way - there's a landlocked lake that has been entirely surrounded by my territory for 2000 years or so, and an Aztec Caravel has just moved out of my city (which has no access to the ocean proper) into the middle of it. I really don't know what happened there, but I doubt it should have. ;)

I do have an Open Borders agreement with them, (and anyway it's a Caravel), so the move would be legal if the Caravel had any way to get into my city in the first place, but as far as I can see it shouldn't have been able to.

Attached Files:

2. joelzhl

joelzhl Chieftain

From what I can see on the map, Dover serves as a canel between the ocean and the fresh water lake. Ships can enter a city square as long as it's connected to an ocean or a fresh water lake that connects it in some way to the ocean.

3. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

VoxDei: Please turn on the Grid and take another screenshot for better reference to tile-location. It is very likely joelzhl is correct and that this is no bug, but that's better visible with the grid on.

4. QiZhe

QiZhe Warlord

It doesn't look like Dover is connecting them. If you use the cities and farms as reference, it looks like there's a unimproved tile between Dover and the lake.

Props to the Aztec captain for navigating up that tiny river. :lol:

5. KabeDerlin

KabeDerlin Prince

No I would say Dover serves as an outline. The terrain looks weird but if you can use the nearby hills as reference to how big a tile "should" look it adds up. The town, or the water tile in the pond, is just weirdly designed. *Shrug* You can verify with a tiled pic but I'm pretty sure that's connected.

6. BlueBomberDude

BlueBomberDude Chieftain

No way - definately an unimproved tile with just a road between Dover and the "lake".

7. panzooka

panzooka Prince

this is my interpretation
    M = mountain
    J = jungle
    F= forest
    P = farm/grassland
    L = lake
    S = ocean
    C= city

MJF
    JPL
    SCP

so the caravel must have moved from the coast to dover, then move diagonaly to the lake

8. VoxDei

VoxDei Chieftain

Hmmm... Dover was founded relatively recently, and I don't think I thought about whether it formed a canal (I only wanted Dover there to plug a hole in my borders). It's usually the kind of thing I notice though, so I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home this evening and get back to you guys. :)

9. VoxDei

VoxDei Chieftain

Doh. Yup, Dover's a canal, I just missed it because of the new graphics. Sorry guys, my bad. :blush:

10. Carver

Carver King

The other explanation, of course, was that the Aztecs carried the boat on foot and placed it in the lake. :) ...it could happen.