Unit Preview: Rogožarski IK-3 Serbian/Yugoslavian WWII era fighter

TopGun

258 kills
I decided to make two versions of this nimble fighter.

First up, the historically correct version with Royal Yugoslav Airforce markings:

I also decided to make a version with insignia of the Communist Yugoslav Airforce:

When would the communist one have been used? Did the partisans have an airforce?

Well... the communist version is more an "what-if" type of thing. As far as I know, the partisans did not have an air force, but had they won independence from German occupation earlier, they certainly would have used the IK-3 in the newly formed Yugoslav Airforce (communist).

TopGun69 said:
As far as I know, the partisans did not have an air force, but had they won independence from German occupation earlier, they certainly would have used the IK-3 in the newly formed Yugoslav Airforce (communist).
Yugoslav partisans DID HAVE airforce, as one and only partisans in occupied Europe:) but IK-3 did not flew in it.
Key Dates:
23 May 1942 First two aircraft acquired
4 June 1942 First combat sorties flown
early Sept 1943 Partisans capture former Italian airfield and it's resident aircraft
22 April 1944 352 Sqn formed by RAF with Yugoslav personnel
16 October 1944 Agreement signed with Soviet Union on providing air support to the NOVJ
December 1944 Soviet instructors begin training of Yugoslav aircrews near Belgrade
5 January 1945 New Yugoslav Air Force (JRV) officially established
28 May 1945 War ends in Yugoslavia

More about Partisan Air Force here : http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/yugo/yugo-part-home.htm

:goodjob:, looking good, especially RYAF version,
also after the war S-49 fighter, which was based on Ik-3, was produced for new Yugoslavian Airforce.
S-49C

Rade, I like the way you request units! Very subtle... :)

Anyway, the S-49 is already on my list (I even found some --albeit low quality-- 3-view dwgs for that aircraft). Other aircraft which will complete the Yugo/Serbian lineup are: Orao, Jastreb, Galeb, Kiran and Kraguj. I'm even thinking of making an IK-2. Now, as far as the IK-5 goes.. I'm still looking for better picture references.

It's not a request but if you want to do it it's fine with me.
btw. here is another that could be interesting, Ikarus S2 Orkan was light dive bomber secondary role as recon, pretty much the same story as with Ik-5, only few prototypes were built because of the war we couldn't get enough engines and some other parts from France.

3-view
Orkan
Orkan

The Orkan is a beaut... and would have definitely given the Luftwaffe and the Wehrmacht a run for their money had they been available to the Royal Yugoslav Air Force... I "think" I need to build a model for it...

Top Bottom