Unit Preview: Special Forces

shramj

Fähnrich
This is my first attempt at making a unit for this game, I hope I can do it. This is a special forces type unit sporting a boonie hat, tiger stripe camoflage, and also a sub-machine gun. I am using Balou's Modern Infantry as a base to create this unit, so I give him all the credit in the world. I have a small preview for you to take a look at. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to offer any help, I will be more then happy to take your offer. Also, anyone have any suggestions to use for sounds? Is there any other instructions for making ground units out there besides what is posted in the forum? Nonnob3, you are also a master at these ground units, your input would be great. Take care, Shramj

***Please see the new attachment below, I have changed a few things and need your input!***

Attachments

• specialforces.gif
    specialforces.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 451
Personally I don't have a clue how to create units so I look up to you! I can spot one thing but I don't know if it's my eyes but it looks as iff his hat is spinning round and his camoflage is flashing! It's probably just my eyes. Otherwise great:goodjob: .

No, you are right, I was trying to make it look like he was moving a little, but maybe each direction, will just be a static picture since I am not that good at this stuff right now. Thanks for the input

Ya I got it, thanks! Boy, this is going to be hard to make, when you make your units, what palette do you use? I am going to have a lot of questions while I make my first unit, thanks for all your help!

I just use the civ III palette,
you have to use it if you are planning to keep the Civ colors. :)
In other words, when you load the graphics, don't change anything, just start "working" :p
Good Luck buddy. :)

I mean to be constructive, not too critical, but the brim on the hat looks a little largish to me, almost like he's wearing one of those mexican hats witht he hard brim.

Otherwise, way cool! :)

Yeah, I wear a boonie cap every now and again and its not that large.

thanks for the input, I will adjust the size of the hat brim, I haven't had a chance to work on the unit since I have company in town, when I get some time next week, I will continue the work on this unit. Yes, I am just doing alot of Cut & Pasting with the Modern Infantry.

Thanks Kemal69, I am going to redo some stuff on the default.flc and then I will post a new preview. Thanks!

Ok, I need some input on the following stuff......I also changed the original preview to the same picture as in this post.

1. Does the Tiger Stripe Camo look good?
2. Does the Boonie Hat look better or does it still need work?
3. I only have the civ-color on his arm, I figure since it's special forces, it should be kinda hard to see since they were hard units to even spot, does this work, or should I increase the civ colors?

Your feed-back would be great since this is my first unit, and I really need everyone's input in getting this guy done. Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• test2.gif
    test2.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 447
Originally posted by shramj
Ok, I need some input on the following stuff......I also changed the original preview to the same picture as in this post.

1. Does the Tiger Stripe Camo look good?
2. Does the Boonie Hat look better or does it still need work?
3. I only have the civ-color on his arm, I figure since it's special forces, it should be kinda hard to see since they were hard units to even spot, does this work, or should I increase the civ colors?

Your feed-back would be great since this is my first unit, and I really need everyone's input in getting this guy done. Thanks, Joe

1. No...it looks great! :D

2. The boonie hat looks perfect to me.

3. Works fine for me. That's plenty of civ color on that unit.

I'm ready to put this in my game RIGHT NOW! Can't wait until it's finished. Excellent. :goodjob:

Is it a submachine gun he's carrying? I'd prefer something a bit larger, like an M4 (you might even want an M4+Grenade Launcher)

Just as a funny little anecdote, the tiger tripe BDU's that were issue were excelent for jungle warfare, much better than the standard olive drab army greens that were issued to the regular troops. Problem was that the ink wasn't color fast so as the uniforms got older, the colors would fade and get paler, negating them as camoflauge.

Ok, thanks for the info. It is supposed to be a sub machinegun, an H&K MP5. I think I will keep the gun the same but once I get the unit finished, it shouldn't be that hard to change the gun around. I will post a new preview when I get it ready. Thanks!

Top Bottom