Unit Promotions (aircraft)

Esoteric Arcane

Warlord
When do aircraft (fighter and bomber family) have the ability to promote, and if they cant, why are their combat levels shown?

I always have a carrier group or two to help bolster a land invasion for my navy seals, but after many a fighter sortie no expierence is gained for the planes.

I know the aircraft lost alot of its use after CIV II, (where they can actually kill units) am I the only one who feel they should still be able to kill ships?

I think they should be able to kill ships too but they still have plenty of use in the late game.

I love using bombers for lots of stuff, they help with defense by bombing the stack, you can use them to reduce city fortifications and also to attack the units inside the town - that way you don't have to suicide an artillery, and they help weaken those ships so your navy can finish them off with very few casualties.

It's so stupid that aircraft can't destroy ships. Fireaxis obviously doesn't know too much about modern naval war.

I forgot to also ask if Spies can be promoted also...

But the strategic warfare is abit too lacking, artillery is only good for random chance other wise they die (civ III) bombarding ability against units should have remained, I think, course not to also mention they should be able to shoot over a tile away also (modern+)...ah well

There basically is no strategic warfare, I think the stealth bombers should be able to strike anywhere in the world, but for a price of gold. Kind of like how spies cost money. Also I laughed when an old prop fighter shot down my stealth bomber.

By the endgame in Civ2, you needed ground units only for actually taking cities... you could eliminate any units with battleships and aircraft incredibly easily. There was no point in building the stealth bombers, because the stealth fighters were more than effective enough against anything.

I'm going to guess that aircraft can't sink ships because ships are not too valuable to begin with in this game, and if they could be sunk by aircraft they'd be nearly worthless - it's a gameplay balance issue. Probably a tradeoff for not allowing sea units to eliminate land units in cities.

If Civ4 were meant to accurately reflect modern war, then most modern age combat would be done with missiles - but the cruise missile doesn't even exist in this version.

I am in the process of debuging a mod which will greatly expand planes abilities, including giving it promotions. You can expect it soon.

Top Bottom