UNIT REQUEST: Carthaginian Sacred Band

Red Threat

52ª brigata Garibaldi
The young nobles of carthage were trained to fight in this Elite corps: the Sacred Band, protector of the temple of Bhaal. Despite they fought mounted also, I'd like to get a FOOT unit for civ. :)

Maybe it's to small...

<<Pics removed>>

The armor looks like in the larger pics, but they use SWORDS.

Bjornlo said:
and this is not in the unit request thread because....?

because the unit request thread sucks, and units requested in it almost NEVER get made, because no one really pays attention to anything in it.

I don't see how filling the general forum with a bunch of requests makes things better for anyone. If you use the special thread, your request might be ignored but it isn't in the way cluttering things up, and it won't disappear in a few hours when the other threads push it down.

It won't disappear if it keeps getting bumped like this :)

And units requested in their own main forum thread get done with the same frequency as units requested in the request thread: almost never. Unit makers are going to make whatever they feel like, and I'm sure if they need inspiration for what they want to make next they're smart enough to check in the request thread. Its not like they're just sitting at their computers, waiting anxiously for someone to post something interesting in its own thread, and shunning the request thread.

For the Sacred Band: it's a good request, since its been brought up several times recently (some of those instances by me)....however, I was thinking of a phalanx-style Sacred Band carrying a Spear rather than a Sword...

Also, that image doesn't work.
Go here for some spear-armed fellers: http://shadowrat.bei.t-online.de/Gallerie/Antike/Griechen/Nov08_16.JPG

One benefit of posting a unit request in the main C&C forum is that it allows for discussion, which does not often happen in the Unit Request thread b/c it clutters it up.

I usually look into most of the unit request threads placed in the main forum, but I don't always remember to scroll through the sticky thread up at the top. I've even put out at least 3 units that I noticed here in the main forum, so it is somewhat effective. BUT... that's just me. I don't know what other unit creators' thoughts are. :)

BTW... does look like a cool unit.

They look like normal spearmen.. only with a dead goat and different shield

Bungus said:
They look like normal spearmen.. only with a dead goat and different shield

Might have been. A lot of table-top gamers substitute various lines of figures for others and just paint them or modify them a little to use for their intended purpose. I've seen whole pages devoted to this and I used to do it myself when I lived in Minneapolis.

being somwhat familliar with Carthy history, it woudl be more accurate to depict the sacred abd cavalry as thier UU; its this medium cavalry forces that was the actual atrong arm of hannibal during his little romping in Italy (though, in all fairness, they were to eventually be squashed by light Numidian cavalry once they entered the war on Romes side)

First: I'm sorry for having requested the CSB in this way, but I didn't realize there was an apposite thread to post in yet. :(

Second: I requested a CSB with a sword because:
1) In other strategic games about the rise of Rome (I think to Imperivm: the Punic Wars and Rome Total War) these noble warriors are armed with swords; in Imperivm they are foot units but in RTW there are both a foot and a mounted version.
2) I need to replace the normal swordsman for my Carthaginian civ. :p

Obviously, if a unit creator wants to make it he must be free of doing in the way he wants. But I SUGGEST to make it a FOOT SWORDSMAN because:
1) FOOT - because they are the guardians of the Temple of Bhaal, so I suppose they don't need to ride horses.
2) SWORDSMAN - because we already have the Numidian mercenary with a spear and we have no cool Punic swordsman; the CSB with a sword would surely look better or at least "more modern" (relatively).
3) FOOT SWORDSMAN - because it would be very cool to see a foot Sacred Band swordsman fighting against a foot roman legionary swordsman in game.

Only ideas, sorry for my English. :blush:

The image link was very likely just a bunch of repainted hoplites with slightly different outfits; but then, thats the whole idea, to show their armor color and whatnot. There wouldn't be anything particularly astounding about a Sacred Band unit, I think, sword, spear, or mounted. I think a slightly modified and recolored Hoplite would do the trick. I'd add 'ancient cavalry' to that, but thats C3C materiel. The "spears" for the Sacred Band would be more along the lines of Sarissa, but since its hard to fit an 18 foot pike in a civ unit (or a wee little model), a little spear works better. The Sacred Band I know was a phalanx-style force that was routed in 341 BC, again in 311 (both of these in Sicily), and were reformed in 310, only to be defeated again (I think this was in Carthage). In their defense, they were supposedly the last unit to break. However, unlike almost the entirety of the more famous (and victorious) Carthaginian forces, they were actually of Punic descent, and not African or Spanish mercenaries. The force would have been 2 or 3 thousand men strong. AFAIK, they never used horses, although they probably had swords as a sidearm. For civ purposes, since its a game, it would make plenty of sense to make them into cavalry, swordsmen, or whatever, which is what most games (Read: Rome Total War) do, since "Sacred Band" sounds like a cool prefix to attach to a unit name.

I"m using utahjazz7's "Oscan Companion" for my Sacred Band unit (generated by a civ-specific small wonder, name yet to be decided):

Not that helps much if yer set on a sword-armed hoplitey-footman, of course. ;)

Top Bottom