1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit request: Solar sail ship

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Flamand, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Flamand

Flamand The Visible Elder!

Would anyone be interested in making a solar sail ship for the Star Trek mod. I'd do it myself if it weren't very far beyond my unit creation abilities. I already have a a mesh in 3DS and COB, but I have no clue how to make the sails move on the solar wind like those of Orthancs ships do...

Here's what it looks like from behind:

2. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

You'd be better off leaving them out.
    Solar sail ships are very slow, and totaly incapable of interstellar travel (they could try to travel to a different system but it'd take hundreds of years).
    For this reason, the only time I say a solar sail ship on ST was on DS9 when Sisco and his son went on holiday and they basicly used it as a recreational sailing ship, just to fly around the system for a bit of fun.

They are cool though :) I was going to make one for a space scenario I had been working on but never go around to it...

3. Flamand

I was looking for a unique unit for the Bajorans, and this was what I could come up with. And like you say, they look cool and would be a great early scout... :D

So if you feel creative, please give this one a try...:)

BTW, how is your Mars scenario? Haven't heard from that for some time...

4. la_dav

la_dav King

:rolleyes: I have a 3D model of this unit, probably I should try the manufacture below this! :D But I compare to lack to his behavior data... :confused:

5. drzoidberg

drzoidberg Prince

If I remember correctly, it doesn't move very much. It just adjust the sails to follow the sun.

6. la_dav

la_dav King

OK,thanks,i know!!

7. Flamand

You are going to make it? Great!!!Thanks... :):):)

8. la_dav

la_dav King

I am to plan to make , but still want to know more about his sport condition!

9. Flamand

The sails flap abit, pretty much like those of a sailing ship. So they should be a bit rounder during the movement and the masts should move a bit.
    As for the attack animation, since it is a low tech ship you better stick to a single gun shooting bullets rather than lasers.

10. la_dav

la_dav King

The two sport waies of my original produce, however, :confused: I do not know really very much for this unit , am very difficult in produce... :blush: I give up to make him , begin to make other units! :D :lol:

11. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Maybe Orthanc can be talked into doing this unit? He does a masterful job with sail flap.

12. la_dav

la_dav King

Yeah. :) His produce technology is very good, it is studied that I should follow him!! :p

13. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Thanks! Don't worry, I'll take care of this thing.

la_dav I think you were trying to make the sails flap by rotating them, its best to think of the sail material as some sort of elastic and actually make it expand slightly away from where the wind is coming from. Just some advice for the future.

14. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

@Flamand- Could you post the 3ds file for me to play with?

15. Flamand

16. la_dav

la_dav King

:lol: Thank you Orthanc!! I do not consider the problem of wind direction really! Have the opportunity ask you surely help a produce GUNDAM unit, the time of hoping your free time can be been interested in for this! :D :blush: ;)

17. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Well after this, and then the Ragnorok I am doing two mechs, but that's Metal Gear Ray and Metal Gear Rex. They might be useful to you though.

18. la_dav

la_dav King

:lol: Thanks! Believe certain for me useful! Can you give me your Email? I will give some of your GUNDAM model! :D

19. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

You can just click my name and an option 'Send E-mail' should appear in the box that pops up, but just to let you know unless you use POV-Ray I don't think your model will be useable to me simply due to file format.

What model were you planning on sending?

Oh and I've started working on this, I should have modelling done and a preview up before long.

20. la_dav

la_dav King

Expect your unit works very much!
    I want to have no installation of animation with 3DS and to your model , hope that you do not mind. :blush: