Unit request: Upgradable Barbarians

Sparrow3

Prince
I think it would be cool to have the Barbarians upgrade their units at some point in the game.

This could be based on the Player's researching some TECH. Say when player attains navigation; all Barbarians are upgraded to Caravel. When player discovers feudalism; the barbarians discover pikes as well. Also having modern day pirates in some parts of the world capable of attacking you transports or merchant vessels might be interesting.

Player should have the option; of course, to determine in the editor when and how a Barbarian upgrade occurs.

I can't program this myself. I am hoping some out there can.

i dont think the ships barbs use can be upgraded..but their troops do...

in the generals tab..u can se the normal barb units, and the advanced barb units..... thats it....only 1 upgrade for em is possible as far as i know...

Sparrow3, you can't do this without haking the whole game engine. I really doubt that will ever happen. BTW, this isn't a unit request, it's a hacking request (or what ever you might call it).

Last night I came up with a good solution to the problem of
Barberians disappearing so early in the game - I believe they
should last until mid to late middle ages,... thus, I reccomend
upping their stats/hitpoints to have them act as a sort of moving
terrain to avoid; one could imagine a 10/10 barberian as being
a moving city across the map or an army of travelling pillagers and
nomads which to conquer... If this is done, I'd like to know how
to up the benefits of defeating a barberian unit.

Well it isn't possible to upgrade the barbarian unit but couldn't you change their appearence through time just like the settler and worker change? I don't know how exactly but I think it can be done.

Thanks for the replies:

Originally posted by mrtn
Sparrow3, you can't do this without haking the whole game engine. I really doubt that will ever happen. BTW, this isn't a unit request, it's a hacking request (or what ever you might call it).
If it is hard coded in the engine you are probably right. can't be done. If hacking is a bad thing, I apologize. I don't want to get into any legal hassles. However; upgradable Barbarians is something I would like to see. Maybe Firaxis will consider it for the next version (Civ4 or what ever). Thanks

Originally posted by god_money
Last night I came up with a good solution to the problem of
Barberians disappearing so early in the game - I believe they
should last until mid to late middle ages,... thus, I reccomend
upping their stats/hitpoints to have them act as a sort of moving
terrain to avoid; one could imagine a 10/10 barberian as being
a moving city across the map or an army of travelling pillagers and
nomads which to conquer... If this is done, I'd like to know how
to up the benefits of defeating a barberian unit.
I've tried this. I didn't raise the stat as high as you; but I did increase them: warrior 2.2.1 HP bonus=3 for example. This does make battling them more interesting. You concept of traveling pillagers is interesting; I may try that. It is easy enough to edit and I was thinking of changing the HP's anyway. Thanks.

Top Bottom