Unit to Hero : Best Event EVAR

ydejin

Warlord
Got an event last night where my Civ held some athletic games and the winner became a hero. In game one of my units (I suspect the one with the highest experience score) got the hero promotion. It was very, very cool. My unit which got promoted changed graphics from being a three-man group to a single-man unit (using the same graphics as before, except only one person) and was promotable just as a regular unit would be (e.g., warrior to axeman to champion). However, because it had the hero promotion it got 1 xp per turn and had access to hero-only promotions like heroic attack and heroic defense.

This was a great, very fun event -- kudos to the team for coming up with it. I only wish it happened more frequently. I've probably played about eight FFH shadow games and only had it happen once.

I always seem to get this event on a scout. I then name him Aragorn, and he gets promoted to a ranger asap.

It can heppen to any unit with at least 3 xp (or is it at least at level 3?), requires you be at peace, and will happen in about 60% of games, but only once (for all players), iirc.

You can always rename a unit, the event doesn't rename it for you.

The Hero promotion will always make a unit use single graphics. (People thought it was odd for grigori heroes to change the number of units in a unit when they were upgraded, and thought just haveing 1 unit would be better. I didn't notice this for a while because I usually used single unit graphics anyway, to make the game slightly faster.)

I got it once, for a warrior. The next turn a lion ate him :cry:

I wish there was a spell or something that any unit could do while it was in a city to switch it to the single unit graphics, it would be soo great for RPers. I often name units and make them into little characters, often have some sort of storyline going on and thats what I love about fantasy mods. Having them as ''group'' grapics annoys me because its meant to just be one person, playing on ''single unit graphics'' is even worse because it is impossible to have a decent storyline without a proper army that isnt just made up of 5 people. Atm I generallyuse WB to give them hero promo to get single unit grapics but that means lots of micro and you dont always want a character to be a level 15 capable of bringing down an entire civ on their own and I hate the blue glow they otherwise get if i dont promote them.

So what Im saying is a new promo is added,

Character (or better name): Can be gotten through a ''spell'' that any unit can cast while in a city (or maybe just in the capital). Gives the casting unit single graphics but has no other effect.

Do any other people feel the same?

I got this event in a game once around turn 20 (epic speed). By turn 100, that warrior was a one man wrecking machine with combat 5, shock 2, heroic strength 2, march, etc. He singlehandedly killed all the AI leaders near me, and the game was all but over when he was promoted to an axeman with bronze weapons.

Random events that significantly affect the outcome of the game are bad, especially when the event costs nothing, has no drawbacks, and can be activated very early in the game.

The point however remains that good events are soooo much more fun than bad events. There should be more good events... If you really want you can easily kill all your AI neighbors with warriors on immortal cause the computer is stupid... Just because an event is powerful doesn't make this less true. Get more good(and hence fun). And make more ways to counter unbalancing things like a single warrior singlehandedly being able to take down entire nations...

The point however remains that good events are soooo much more fun than bad events. There should be more good events... If you really want you can easily kill all your AI neighbors with warriors on immortal cause the computer is stupid... Just because an event is powerful doesn't make this less true. Get more good(and hence fun). And make more ways to counter unbalancing things like a single warrior singlehandedly being able to take down entire nations...

Well i got the event too, with a scout, being the good Elves, after it i get another event to go into a quest where i got an staf of wind, so i got it with the staf of wind, a commander and promoted to beastmaster... eas a very strong unit

the only problem was that i was alone in my continet, so my hero was just an animal recruiter almost all the game lol

Sure, you can trash the AI easily enough, but this was in a multiplayer game that we quit around turn 150 because my score was off the charts. A stack of warriors take time, production, and money - this event cost me nothing and handed me a handful of free cities with accompanying workers and improvements. As much randomness as civ has, I've found that better players with good play and a good strategy will win almost every time against a worse player because the random elements balance out. This event may as well have awarded me an "Event Victory" on turn 20 and ended the game right there - it's worse than the .25 cheater resources by far.

My favorite events are ones where you get a choice with better results having higher costs/risks. I'd say an event is still "good" if it has positive expectation; "bad" ones are boring events with no risk, cost, or choice - like this one. The fact that it's extremely powerful makes it even worse.

Sure, you can trash the AI easily enough, but this was in a multiplayer game that we quit around turn 150 because my score was off the charts.
There is some tension between fun for single player vs. fun for multi player. However, a warrior with the hero promotion really isn't any more powerful than Orthus, in fact I think stats-wise Orthus is quite a bit more powerful. I was shocked one game to have Orthus take out my 3 and 2 star bronze-weapon warriors with not a single scratch on him. I did take him down, but he killed at least 6-8 of my elite units first. I was doing great that game until he showed up.

There is a lot of randomness in FFH or in vanilla Civ. Whether a player's position sucks because he's surrounded by jungle vs. another player on flood plains with a good number of hills and resources or Orthus showing up early -- stuff just happens.

There are strategies that your friends probably could have taken. For example, they all could have ganged up on you. Your hero can only be in one place at once. Newly conquered cities are unproductive cities, if your homeland is being trashed while your hero is out conquering, you are going to be in trouble. There are also some heroes which can come out quite early to challenge yours -- Gilden Silveric in particular doesn't require much before building.

I suppose it would be nice to have a remove events feature for those trying to create fair multi-player games.

It really is a terrific event for single player fun though.

I don't think it is overpowering in multiplayer, it is still a random event so it is not a guarenteed strategy and there are other early heroes that you would have to contend with including the first grigori adventurer which doesn't take many turns to arrive...

And besides if you don't like the event then turn random events off for multiplayer, or even make a mini mod with just that event removed and play multiplayer with that.

Additionally, you had to be a smart player to make that an "I win" button, instead of an "I lose" button. Someone who doesn't know what they are doing might also go on a rampage and conquer all nearby civs, but they would capture too many cities, too spread out, and sink their economy.

A single unit cannot put food on the table, nor usher in a new era of Ironworking and Magic :)

This was the first event I ever got and I have not had it since.

Top Bottom