Unit transfer! Lend-Lease style, aid your allies! and other random ideas

DaJoker711

Chieftain
I hope this hasn't been posted already, but...

I have always found it lacking you can trade/buy/sell many things included whole cities but cannot do that with individual units or production. There was many a time when I wanted to supply my enemy's enemy with tanks or destroyers or... well, anything, to help them out. Providing gold is often difficult and ineffective/inefficient. In both war and peace, this could be useful.

Historically, this, as mentioned, could be very similar to the lend-lease program where the US sent material to the USSR and the UK (before and after it was in the war). It kept the allies alive while the US didnt fire a shot. Strategically valuable, effective, interesting in use, etc etc. I would love to see something like that implemeneted.

Maybe: if you could somehow make units cheaper to make by xfering production to an ally (rather than gold or units). This would be far more accurate historically (moreso than say, sending a whole unit of tanks, crew and all, you would instead quicken production by just sending the tanks).

The way i have it imagined: maybe have on your build options in the city manager, a "Production for _(insert civilization)__." Thus, the production would go to that civilization. On that civilization's turn, in addition to hurrying production, they would have an option to apply transfered production.

The tricky part would be to incorporate such a system into diplomacy and make it tradable. For instance:

Russia Wants: 150 production per turn
America Wants: 25 gold per turn

Therefore, for the next 20 turns, america would have to send russia atleast 150 production for 25 gold per turn or the treay is broken.

Or potentially, similar to a list of city's, have "production of..." followed by a list of cities. Therefore, you could trade for, for instance:

Russia Want: Production of Atlanta (62)
New York (47)
America Wants: 30 Gold per turn

The numbers in brackets are production numbers. The game would then force the production of atlanta and new york to transfer production to russia and lock the production at the two american cities to at atleast those stated numbers. The player could force change the production to something else or change the terrain being worked for lower production but at the risk of breaking the treaty.

Again, russia could apply the production in a similar method as described.

Other ideas:

-Maybe impose a production transfer penalty (ie, if New York has a production of 100, Russia only gets 80%. This could depend on government type, civ traits, etc).

-Random idea: Different maintenance costs for different units. For instance, a unit of Air craft carrier(s) should not cost the same to keep as a unit of barbarians.

-Random idea (2): charge gold for artillery attacks. Rockets and such are expensive. Remember how the germans in world war I ran their agriculture into the ground by effectively using all the nitrates in the nation for shell production? similar idea. For instance, 1 gold for every use of bombardment. It would also keep the 'massive stack of artillery death' from being too overpowered. Adds an extra bit of challenge and adds realism. This could be extended to all units. Every turn, you could for instance be charged a 'ammo fee' for fighting activity of your units. Some units could have no extra fee, like spearman or guerillas while others like archers or tanks would. heck, might even out the usefulness of guerillas if they were much cheaper to use...

-edit: Random idea (3): Allow a nation to take on public debt! It can be uber-complicated with a whole loan system available, including pay back times and rates, credit ratings, the ability to loan out money for interest, etc. ;-) or just a simple system. It only makes sense seeing how most nations in the world have public debt.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

OK, my thoughts.

1) Trade of units should DEFINITELY be a diplomatic option. The value of the unit to another civ might depend on the cost of that unit (in shield terms), how many strategic resources it requires to build it, and whether or not the civ you are trading to has the necessary tech for that unit!

2) Rather than the system you propose, I have suggested elswhere that you should be able to put unwanted shields/food into a central pool and, from there, you can trade them to any civ who wants/needs them. This process could very easily reflect the lend/lease system.
Perhaps there might be a 'Lend-lease' Small Wonder which boosts shield production in all your cities-shields that could then be traded to other civs.

3) I definitely agree that different units should have differing maintainance costs. There is NO WAY that a battleship should have the same maintainance cost as a warrior!!!

4) Not sure I'm too keen on the 'gold for artillery strikes' idea!

5) I am a HUGE supporter of a public debt system, though I definitely feel that it should be a fairly simple system-for gameplay purposes.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
OK, my thoughts.

1) Trade of units should DEFINITELY be a diplomatic option. The value of the unit to another civ might depend on the cost of that unit (in shield terms), how many strategic resources it requires to build it, and whether or not the civ you are trading to has the necessary tech for that unit!

2) Rather than the system you propose, I have suggested elswhere that you should be able to put unwanted shields/food into a central pool and, from there, you can trade them to any civ who wants/needs them. This process could very easily reflect the lend/lease system.
Perhaps there might be a 'Lend-lease' Small Wonder which boosts shield production in all your cities-shields that could then be traded to other civs.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Hey Aussie_Lurker, thanks for the comments

I love your idea on the Lend-lease small wonder (deserving i believe). I think maybe it should be sort of like the apollo program wonder where it allows certain actions to be taken; in this case, without it, transfer of production/units would not be allowed. As for the pooling of production, i like that idea but am wondering how it would allow for per/turn diplomatic agreements above the instant-transfer method.

For instance, if i dont have any 'stored' production, would i still be able to sell a per turn amount for some gold and how would it be done/enforced.

Also, i could see pooling as well as other systems being easily abused, like saving production 500 years early for the hoover dam or just saving production for a massive building spree of units for a quick war (no upkeep during the interim time).

i kinda think that the ammo thing comes under upkeep cost?
id love to trade units though. you see examples of people giving the enemy of their enemy oil etc. but its unusual to have so many resources you can randomly hand it out.

The difference i see between maintenance and high-use costs is as follows: a unit w/ no activity will cost upkeep. if the unit fights, it costs upkeep plus some.

To apply it more practically: A soldier will eat food and occasionally target practice. In war, he will still eat and target practice (the same maintenance cost) but will also spend much more gas, extra ammo, supplies, etc. Maintenance is from what i see basic upkeep. Doesnt make sense it should stay the same in war and peace.

or maybe im taking it to far.... my own econ-mil. interests

DaJoker711 just to fair the British blocakde of Germany in world war one caused them alot more difficulties in agriculture than the use of nitrates for artillery shells. Also a man power shortage on the farms, that was caused by men being sent to the front to fight, created problems with agricultural production....otherwise I like your ideas.

Actually, once again a possible solution to DaJokers problem can be found in CtP II!!
As someone else has mentioned in another thread, in this game you can set the 'stance' of your military-with 3 stances existing! If you are in 'active stance' then your units cost more in upkeep, but you get a combat bonus. If they are in 'normal' stance, then they get no bonus, but cost normal maintainance. If they are in 'standown' mode, then the units cost much less to maintain, but are also at a penalty if they ever get attacked!
I'm not certain, but I feel that this would solve all of the problems that Da Joker has raised!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Indeed the blockade and labour shortage were the biggest problems.

Can't say im very familiar w/ CtpII but i'll have to check it out now :) thanks aussie! the stance idea sounds good...

Different maintenance costs for different units is a good idea. Perhaps you do a gold:production cost ratio.

Maybe for every 50 shields a unit costs, it costs 1 gold to maintain.

Top Bottom