1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit upgrade: any extra conditions?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Blkbird, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I have an Archer stationed in a City with Iron (with Mine and Road connection), but the "Upgrade Unit (Crossbowman)" icon in the unit's Action Box is greyed out. Why? Do I need Barracks to upgrade units?

Edit 1: I just moved the Archer to a City with Barracks, but I still can't upgrade the unit. What else do I need?

Edit 2: OK, I got it - I was short on money... Duh!

2. woodelf

woodelf Bard

The great thing is that you don't need to be in a city with a barracks or even in a city! Cashola helps though, as you discovered. :)

3. Hunter Noventa

Hunter Noventa Overlord

Your units don't even need to be in a city either, they can be upgraded as long as they're within your borders!

however, there might be a greater cost for upgrades in the field, this warrants further investigation.