Unit Upgrade Lore

Protagonist

Warlord
What I'd like is if the civilopedia gave the player bits of lore as to the fictional history of unit upgrades. For example, what is the difference between a sentinel and a centurion?

If it was just a section on the unit upgrade thing, that'd be enough.

Some ideas I had for entries:

-Marines:
The first soldiers to arrive on this planet were intended for civil defense rather than full-scale war.
Their suits were often bulky, and didn't allow for armor. They often proved too fragile for the life of an infantryman.
Work soon began on environmental suits specially designed for combat. These new suits were ruggedized, armored with kevlar, and much easier to move around in.
As full-scale war became a real prospect to the colonists, Marines began arming themselves with high-caliber assault rifles as opposed to the relatively weaker sub machine guns of their soldier ancestors.

-Brawler:
In Harmonist Colonies, Marines tended to adopt guerrilla tactics and survivalist training. Their weapons were often made with durability in mind.
With the widespread use of genetic engineering and domestication of native organisms, it was not long before these technologies were given military applications.
The Brawler armorsuit represented a synergy with their tactics and technology. Soldiers were injected with native microbes bred to live symbiotically with humans

I totally agree, something like an expanded Civilopedia mod would be great...One thing I often find is that whoever wrote some of the descriptions must have had the online dictionary smoking from over-use. I mean just look at Barre's personal history, with terms like "avuncular", "Genial" and "Bonhomie"...I mean NO English speaking person actually uses those words in the modern era, they are words of the past and have become obsolete except in intellectual circles.

The bare-bones watered down unit descriptions would definitely be a great start...

Pretty sure it would only require a bunch, or even just one single XML file loaded with description data, it is easy to add or subtract from the existing data simply by defining a <Row> or <Update> txt key respectively. The hardest part would be the imagination and creativity required to fill out the descriptions, this would be a great mod for a beginning modder with a flair for creative writing, especially a sci-fi writer. :)

Note: Writing this kind of thing can get quite challenging, in my own Dune mod I estimated 5 hours to rewrite Leader Histories and Dawn of Man Quotes, it ended up taking me 10.5 hours and that was just 8 history pieces 1 paragraph long and 36 quotes mainly copied and pasted from the Dune Wiki, Wikipedia and Goodreads as it was the easiest sources of quotes from the books without grabbing all my books and thumbing the pages for days. :)

My biggest problem with the UI in this game is that it has a massive aversion to images. 95% of the images in the game are monochromatic sketches.
I get a feeling that the dev team somehow lost their concept art towards the end of production, and didn't have time to find it. :)

As for creative writing, I like doing that. I was actually working on a fanfic/playthrough log recently with one of its goals being to give the leaders a bit more personality, though it didn't work out (I lost my saves).

Top Bottom