1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Upgrades Civilopedia Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by vovan, Dec 21, 2005.

1. vovan

vovan Warlord

Version 1.1
    Changes:
    - Improved the arrow drawing algorithm. Now the view should be less cluttered.
    - Removed all the unnecessary code from the library that the mod depended upon. This cut the size of the mod from ~300K to ~30K
    - Moved the arrow drawing code into a new file, so that if arrow drawing is changed again, there will be no need to merge existing files, just overwrite the files introduced by the mod.

Version 1.0 Removed after 205 downloads.

This mod will add a new page to the civilopedia, displaying the unit upgrade paths.

It is inspired by this here diagram:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3304611&postcount=18

I thought it was very useful and wanted to add a screen to the pedia that does that automatically. The results of my first attempt are shown below:

Mouse over unit portraits to get additional unit info. Click unit portraits to go to the detailed 'Pedia entry on the particular unit.

The view is kinda convoluted, but this is generated automatically, so it will be updated if another mod is applied. :) Also, I used a very simple graph layout algorithm I wrote myself to put the buttons on. So if you can find an open-source algorithm that works better and is written in Python, feel free to tell me. :D I might incorporate it into the mod.

Credits go to the NetworkX library, which is what I used to generate the upgrade graphs. (And whose layout algorithms unfortunately depend on a library written in C and I couldn't get pyd files to load, so I ended up rolling my own :rolleyes:...)

https://networkx.lanl.gov/

Enjoy. :)

PS: Installation instruction are available in the mod readme.

PPS: ... Mod here: ... :D

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109159&d=1135794392

2. xGBox

xGBox Warlord

This mod is great! Good stuff! :goodjob:

3. vovan

vovan Warlord

PPS: Would be pretty awesome to not forget to actually attach the mod. :rolleyes:

EDIT: v1.0 Removed after 205 downloads.

Attached Files:

4. Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly Rufus is coming in town!

Very interesting.

5. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

Another thing Firaxis should add in the next patch. Nice work.

6. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

Nice vovan. Downloading now. :goodjob:

7. Erendir

Erendir Chieftain

can you please combine your mod with sevopedia mod?..
    I cant do it myself...

I've tried to do it, but it doesnt work...

Here is, what i've done:

Attached Files:

8. vovan

vovan Warlord

Erendir, over on Apolyton, Sevo said that he was going to combine the two mods into one. As soon as he gets around to doing that, we'll make sure to notify people of the updates. :)

Also, I think there was a post here earlier about not being able to run the mod,., I haven't looked at it with the newest patch yet. As soon as I get a chance to do so, I will definitely try it out and post updates if necessary,

9. Robo Magic Man

Robo Magic Man Prince

Great addition to the civilopedia. Downloading it now

10. kenzie316

kenzie316 Chieftain

Hi dont know if im doing something wrong but when i install the mod i cant get it to work. I get the unit upgrade heading in my civ but its the hints heading text thats in it

11. vovan

vovan Warlord

kenzie,

I believe it's not you, but actually the new patch that may have screwed it up. I've been pretty busy lately, with the holidays and all, and haven't had a chance to look into this yet. But as soon as I do, will definitely post an update. :)

Vovan

12. vovan

vovan Warlord

All,

A new version of this mod is available in the original post above. Changes / improvements are listed up there. The mod will work with v1.52 of the game.

Enjoy!

Vovan

13. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Hmmm, maybe something to do with the ERA of the unit could be added - it feels a bit weird having the gunship down in the same row as the rifleman.

14. Graun

Graun Chieftain

Still doesn't work form me with the new patch(v1.52)!:(

15. vovan

vovan Warlord

The Great Apple,
    I will look into it. :) Thanks for the idea.

Graun,
    :( If you could elaborate on your problem, that would be great. Do you get any errors? Does the screen not show up? Etc. :)

Alternatively, you can check out Sevopedia (link in my signature), which this mod is a part of. That one introduces many other enhancements to the 'Pedia which you might enjoy. :)

Vovan

16. Graun

Graun Chieftain

Vovan!

No.I don't get any error!

I followed the instruction and started a game but no unit upgrade in my 'civpedia'!:(

thanks for the mod anyway!;)

17. MajorCyco

MajorCyco Chieftain

I had the same issue when I installed it. Figured out that the install directories are wrong. They should be going directly into Python and XML and not Assets/Python and XML. You can manulally move them and it works just fine...

18. Graun

Graun Chieftain

Hi,MajorCyco!

indeed that was the problem! The proper install dir is:

\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\Python
    and \XML

thanks for your help

19. QiZhe

QiZhe Warlord

I think if you push everything in the mounted units back and stick horse archers in the same row as Swordsman, Axeman, and Spearman, then it would work out. You can't jump from Chariots to Knights because you need Horseback Riding to have Knights. So if it's: Chariots->Horse Archers->Knights->Cavalry->Gunship. This would also be more representive of the eras, because Chariots match with Warriors, Horse Archers with Swordsmen, then Knights with Macemen (Middle Ages), and then Cavalry with Riflemen (Gunpowder). It helps a bit with the Gunship, though maybe Gunship can still be moved even farther right to the Tanks or Modern Armor rows because you need Flight and Rocketry for Gunships.