1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit upgrading : what's the cheapest option ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Azatoth, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Azatoth

Azatoth Chieftain

Each time I get a new tech that allows me to upgrade an obsolete unit into an up-to-date one, I always have the same question :
    Should I upgrade my units right away or wait for several techs to be discovered to do the upgrades in one turn when I need them (when a war is declared for example). I don't know whiwh one of the two options is the cheapest, or if the price is the same at the end of the day. Do you have an idea ?

Thx in advance.

2. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

I used to upgrade my units slowly as I could, but then realized that I was wasting a tonne of money converting troops when it was better to either use them as fodder/distractions during a war or to delete them entirely when there wasn't. The latter options turned out to work much better.

You might also find that playing on Epic, rather than Normal, solves some of the upgrade issue because your units don't become obsolete so fast.

3. Hardvark

Hardvark Warlord

I only upgrade experienced units unless I'm very rich. If a unit has little experience you're better off building more advanced units from scratch. I tend to use my obsolete units to garrison safe towns and keep my advanced units on my borders.

4. Chamaedrys

Chamaedrys Emperor

I just upgrade units with lots of XP or important promotions.

5. Azatoth

Azatoth Chieftain

I always play in epic game speed, or even marathon sometimes.

But to be more precise in the question I'm asking, let's consider for example this archer I built in the early ages and let's assume the city he's defending is at the moment running no risk of a raid.

My question is : should I upgrade my archer each time a new tech is discovered or wait for an enemy to get close to do all the upgrades in one single time ? Is one of these two options cheaper than the other ?

6. Olleus

Olleus Deity

the cost of upgrades are
    (3 * the hammer difference between the two units) + 25
    so to answer your question, upgrading an archer to a rifleman is cheaper than archer to longbowman to rifleman.

7. Azatoth

Azatoth Chieftain

OK. So waiting for the unit to be useful before upgrading it is indeed a good strategy. Furthermore it prevents for paying for a unit that I may never use at the end of the day.

Good ... thanks for the formula Lord Olleus.

8. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

You should have used them for wars, thats why i go to war so often because upgrading is so expensive.