Units are on strike

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by JBConquests, Nov 13, 2005.

1. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

I playing in a large map expanding on my continent nicely, when I was told your units have gone on strike, or something like that. My science instantly was fixed at 0%, my per turn gold went to negative 20 per turn. Units started being disbanded due to the gold loss.

My questions is, what caused this to happen?

What do I do to fix this?

2. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

You ran out of money. Keep an eye on your budget and remember that units out side of you cultural borders are more costly than the ones inside.

EDIT to fix this get money either by tribute if you are at war, or tone down your military.

3. lysander

lysander Warlord

I noticed somewhere that it said Free Market allows defecit spending. Does that mean that you can go into negative gold (have never been that low yet)?

4. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

I restarted the map, this time I expanded a little slower and went for Markets sooner and avoided that trap. I founded fewer cities but at least I had an economy running in the black! I guess the old civ 3 land grab strategy I used to use doesn't work so well.

Thanks for the help.

5. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Emperor

I believe "deficit spending" means you can set your sliders at, say, 80% Science and 30% Culture (110% total), so that you will inevitably lose money but may get a quick boost before anything irrepairable happens. Hey, that's what massive gold reserves are for, right?

6. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

I made the mistake of quick expasion in one of my early games and my nation went on strike too. Markets and religion heavy cities help with expanding without over doing it.