Units costing population

ZergMazter

Prince
Has anyone played with that? While it sounds good at first, then you realize cities will never grow to a high pop number.

Has this been the case?

Has anyone played with that? While it sounds good at first, then you realize cities will never grow to a high pop number.

Has this been the case?

I have done it and there are a couple of ways to get around the population issue. First, I increase the population of the town to 9 and the city to 21, which makes it easier for the town and city to absorb a population loss. Second, I increase the food yields of terrain tiles and the effects of irrigating them to make sure there is always an adequate supply of food for the town and city.

If you do not do that, the AI is in real trouble.

I have been trying to use this too. A drafted militia unit should lower the pop and then that unit should be able to rejoin the city again when not needed.
Question only if the AI can figure this out. I recall that setting a unit to be able to rejoin a city doesn´t work however. Something to do with terraform or so. Sad.

The first part works but not the second....

i use this in my mod and it works quite well actually. all civilizations in my mod have many units that require population to build, but the 'early' units do NOT require population. the result is that the AI will build new cities and often defend them with these 'early' units, and once the city is established, the AI will build units that actually require population points. this allows the city to 'grow' first before the AI utilizes population points on stronger units. =)

It seems the AI starts building population-requiring military units as early as city size 6, but it sometimes waits until 8-12. but the main part is that they don't usually build these units at city size 1-4 (when taking population away from the city might greatly cripple it's growth.) they build the non-population requiring military units during this phase, because of how cheap they are. =)

It seems the AI starts building population-requiring military units as early as city size 6, but it sometimes waits until 8-12. but the main part is that they don't usually build these units at city size 1-4 (when taking population away from the city might greatly cripple it's growth.) they build the non-population requiring military units during this phase, because of how cheap they are. =)

That is interesting that they do not build population-requiring military units when the city is small, as they will build settlers in small cities, based on monitoring the AI in De-Bug mode. I have the settlers costing 4 population, with boosted town population of 9 and city population of 21.

Top Bottom