[Units] Early Renaissance Cannons

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
Here is my collection of early cannons and hand cannons I been working on. I moded these specificly to work with Colonization. This mod is Modular only so you can check out the Unit art in game. Just copy it into your mod file and load it up. All I did was reskin them and or moded the models.

Acknowlegements:
The_Coyote - for makeing his Culverin unit work with Colonization
Deliverator - for his conquistador units

Hand Cannon:
Early gunpowder weapons came in a variety of sizes, and handguns appeared at much the same time as larger cannons. Usually called hand cannons or hand gonnes. they first appeared in Europe during the mid-fifteenth century and were basically just miniature cannons, held under a soldier's arm or braced against his shoulder or ground. The introduction of the matchlock firing system led to the development of lighter, less awkward guns, including the Arquebus and its successor, the Musket.

Ribauldquin
Invented during the 15th Century. They where used in defense for when there was a breach in a wall. These multi-barreled cannons would fire a spray of anti-personnel shot against storming troops. As muskets became more effective and faster to load these cannon became less popular.

DownLoad

Attachments

• 1aUploadImage5.jpg
    1aUploadImage5.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 196
  • 1aUploadImage3.jpg
    1aUploadImage3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 1aUploadImage4.jpg
    1aUploadImage4.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 1,560
Good work Kailric ;),
I think I will use one of them to add a cannon upgrade in DoaNE.

Speaking of upgrades the vanilla SDK code has built in ability to allow your Units to "Upgrade". It simply checks a city to see if it can make the Upgrade Unit if so it allows the upgrade. So, you could like make it so that the Armory allows for a 9 pounder cannon and the Arsenal allows for a 15 pounder. You just have to make the 15 pounder an upgrade for the 9 pounder in the CIV4UnitInfos.xml.

I have something similar to this in my Tech Tree mod where a tech allows you to upgrade your cannons. The only thing is I haven't figured out yet how to change the Vanilla button icon for Upgrade. The default button is the Upgrade units Icon, which is large and out of place as seen in the pic below. I have searched:scan: the code up and down to find where to change this but haven't found it yet. So, if anyone does let me know:)

Attachments

• 1aUploadImage.jpg
    1aUploadImage.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 788
They look marvelous, Kailric.
Do they work in Civ4 BtS too?

I searched all over Civ4 BtS Units downloads and could not find a decent cannon for this period so I decided to make my own;) I actually posted my first few cannons for download in the Civ4 Units thread and though I haven't play tested them for BtS others have and they work just fine I do believe. I wondered about Team Color appearing correctly though, but I haven't heard that it doesn't.

The Thread is here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362955

Yes I know. I've been buggering you for putting new renaissance figures on the culverin in that thread. ;)
I just wanted a confirmation that your latest batch will work in BtS or that it is solely for Colonization for some reason.

Yes I know. I've been buggering you for putting new renaissance figures on the culverin in that thread. ;)
I just wanted a confirmation that your latest batch will work in BtS or that it is solely for Colonization for some reason.

Oh, ha, yeah.. was wondering why your name was so familiar :) Yeah, your the main reason there is a Landsknecht as a Cannoneer :goodjob:

Is this the same as 2.3 in the Civ4 forum thread?

Anyway, cool units :D

No, that only has 4 units, this has 10. I modified the Culverin unit that The_Coyote fixed to work with Colonization. It had a few errors still so I fixed them the way I could figure it out. I am not sure actually if the Culverin he fixed thats in this pack can even be used for CIV4, but I know they work for Colonization so thats the main reason I posted this here.

So, if anyone does let me know
In the CIV4CommandInfos.xml file, you can add a command
in this new command, there are an button option:
It is this button you searched.
Code:
<Button>Art/Interface/Game Hud/Actions/UpgradeUnit.dds</Button>

You must add this command in the SDK too and your work will be complete ;) .

In the CIV4CommandInfos.xml file, you can add a command
in this new command, there are an button option:
It is this button you searched.
Code:
<Button>Art/Interface/Game Hud/Actions/UpgradeUnit.dds</Button>

You must add this command in the SDK too and your work will be complete ;) .

Yeah, I thought about adding a my own new command for upgrading a unit. But I was trying to figure out how the code knows to use a Unit's Button as the command to upgrade. That is a cool way to do it just that the button needs to be adjusted so that its not so large and out of place. As you can see in the CIV4CommandInfos.xml the Command "COMMAND_UPGRADE" has no button option assigned to it. So the code has to figure it out some other way... just what is that way?

Code:
<CommandInfo>
  <Type>COMMAND_UPGRADE</Type>
  <Description>TXT_KEY_COMMAND_UPGRADE</Description>
  <Help/>
  <bAll>1</bAll>
</CommandInfo>

as a matter of fact, I never thought of this problem.
May be niave, I would use this code:
Code:
<CommandInfo>
	<Help/>
	<bAll>1</bAll>
        <Button>Art/Interface/Game Hud/Actions/Automate.dds</Button>
</CommandInfo>
But, I never used an old command to modify its characteristics.

as a matter of fact, I never thought of this problem.
May be niave, I would use this code:
Code:
<CommandInfo>
	<Help/>
	<bAll>1</bAll>
        <Button>Art/Interface/Game Hud/Actions/Automate.dds</Button>
</CommandInfo>
But, I never used an old command to modify its characteristics.

Ha, yeah, I tried this before. It just ingnores the button art for this command that you put there and always uses the Icon of the Upgrade Unit. :confused:

What is its name? I don't believe that I saw it before.

In the CIV4UnitInfos.xml you will find the <UnitClassUpgrades/> attribute.
Code:
<bAlwaysHostile>0</bAlwaysHostile>
<bTreasure>0</bTreasure>
<UnitClassUpgrades/>
<UnitAIs>

If you put in like :
Code:
<UnitClassUpgrades>UNITCLASS_GALLEON</UnitClassUpgrades>

Then the Galleon will be the icon for the Upgrade Unit Command for this unit. Thats what I am refering too.

Top Bottom