Units forgetting their destination

pete1061

Chieftain
Has anyone else noticed this...

I will right click to send a unit somewhere, and if any unit (friendly or not) occupies that destination tile, even if for only one turn, the unit with an order to go to that tile will lose that order and I will have to re-assign the order. It doesn't matter if the unit is still many turns away from reaching the destination and the destination tile will be empty when it arrives.

A unit should only have it's move order canceled if the destination (or path) is blocked on the next turn, when it is scheduled to arrive.

Agreed. And the path and destination that they'd intended to take should be highlighted when you select them after the move is cancelled. It'd make moving armies across waters or continents a much more reasonable experience.

I've seen this behavior many times and don't consider it a bug. It makes sense to me that you must specify a valid destination (one that doesn't violate 1UPT) for a unit and the computer must be able to find a valid path to the destination. Waiting to validate until one turn before the unit arrives could lead to other problems. I agree, however, that you should be able to see the intended destination if the order is canceled while the unit is in route. Any other opinions on this issue?

I sort of disagree - you don't know the path will be invalid when the unit gets there, and it doesn't matter whether it's invalid en route. It's easier to figure out where a unit was going when it's cancelled 1 turn away from destination than 8.

I thought previous civs were smarter in this regard - cancelling only if something 'permanent' affected the destination square, like culture pop or a new city founding, but not stopping the move order for something temporary, like a scout crossing your path.

It's very annoying indeed, units should get as close as possible to their target destination, and stop only when the path is completly blocked by other units.

The pathfinder could get some ergonomy improvement. Also, when you want to cancel a movement, in previous Civs, you just had to press the right-button along with the left-button. It's not possible anymore in Civ5.

Top Bottom