units pass under air units

i've seen this happen in TCW before. it's also been reported to have occurred for others also. however, for the life of me, i just don;t know what caused it.

it was on an airbase where it occurred though.

Bjornlo said:
Any land unit with an attack of at least 1 entering any space occupied by an air unit destroys the air unit no matter what the relative Attack/Defense ratings of the air unit.
If so, that's yet another change from PTW, in which a defense zero air unit could be captured like an artillery piece.

The Last Conformist said:
If so, that's yet another change from PTW, in which a defense zero air unit could be captured like an artillery piece.

I think, the air units in PTW that were reported to be crashed with every land unit didn´t have the "hidden nationality" flag.

Weasel Op, yes, the HN-Bug still exists in C3C. But it seems, that in C3C you can no longer move the air unit like a land unit, even when the "immobile" flag is removed (you can only use the bomb or bombard function of that unit like a normal C3 plane).

That is not correct. I tinkered around with this idea for helicopters for a while - made them air units, didn't flag immobile, and they moved around the map at will. Running into any other enemy unit, though, caused them to crash.

Hi gorn,

what version of Civ3 and what patch did you play when you made this experience? It´is common, that in older versions of Civ 3 the aircraft could move when the "immobile flag" was taken away of that unit.

I made my experience described with C3C and the latest patch (1.22).

Civinator said:
Hi gorn,

what version of Civ3 and what patch did you play when you made this experience? It´is common, that in older versions of Civ 3 the aircraft could move when the "immobile flag" was taken away of that unit.

I made my experience described with C3C and the latest patch (1.22).
What gorn described can be done with any version of Civ3, including C3C v1.22

That is not correct. I tinkered around with this idea for helicopters for a while - made them air units, didn't flag immobile, and they moved around the map at will. Running into any other enemy unit, though, caused them to crash.

I made a test, it only crashes when it's attacked by an ennemy. When it attacks, it's like a regular ground/ground battle.

Supa said:
I made a test, it only crashes when it's attacked by an ennemy. When it attacks, it's like a regular ground/ground battle.
I have tested this in the past and it is not a regular battle since the Attack / Defense does not matter. The air unit will lose to any ground unit. A 99/99 airunit will lose to a 1/1 ground unit.

Bjornlo said:
I have tested this in the past and it is not a regular battle since the Attack / Defense does not matter. The air unit will lose to any ground unit. A 99/99 airunit will lose to a 1/1 ground unit.

Hi Bjornlo,

now I´m wondering if there is something wrong with my C3C. In the attached "planetest" biq there are some German and Roman airunits.
Fighters with the immobile flag removed and a lot of movement points.
Jetfighters with the immobile flag removed, a lot of movement points and the hidden nationality flag and warriors as landunits to walk around and to crash these planes. Than declare war between Germany and Rome.

I couldn´t move any of the planes like landunits, even with the removed immobility flag. When a warrior enters the tile occupied with a fighter, the fighter crashes as normal. But when the warrior enters a tile occupied by a jetfighter (additional hidden nation flag), no crash happens.
Both units (land and air) exist on the same tile, so they belong to different nations.

Please can anybody test these file, cause I want to know if it works different with other people C3C´s.

One additional test: When the jetfighter with the immobile flag removed, a lot of movement points and the hidden nationality flag is given to the barbarians, it could be crashed again by landunits moving on that tile. It seems, that the "hidden nationality flag" doesn´t work for airunits when combined with barbarian nationality. So no place for nearly undestructable local demigods, tornados, storms, earthquakes and so on (you can pass them, but they might kill you /by bombard).

Attachments

• Planetest.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 61
Hi atomicshockwave,

I hope you found what you searched for your PTW.

Civinator: the reason you can't move your planes is that you didn't enable the Go To order. What you described is what should happen- the HN unit with 0 defense could not be attacked, and was not destroyed. The HN warrior could still attack because it had an attack value. It's defending that causes the bug. Bjornlo was talking about a normal air unit with A/D values in combat with a land unit.

edit: I just tested your biq with Go To enabled, to clear things up. Here's what happens:
Air unit attacking normal air unit: defender is destroyed
Air unit attacking HN air unit: HN bug (no combat)
Air unit attacking land unit: normal combat (air unit won)
Land unit attacking normal air unit: air unit is destroyed
Land unit attacking HN air unit: HN bug (no combat)

So, in summary, the HN bug has the same effect on air units as on land units. Also, whenever a non-HN aircraft is attacked directly, it is destroyed. btw this is C3C 1.22

Top Bottom